Do You Cover Your Rolling Mat In Crisco, Cornstarch Or Ps...

Decorating By sugarMomma Updated 4 May 2008 , 2:43am by alanahodgson

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 1 May 2008 , 6:49am
post #1 of 29

...when rolling out large circles of fondant to cover a cake.

I have the Ateco silicone mat if it makes a difference.

28 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 1 May 2008 , 7:09am
post #2 of 29

I use shortening. I found that it helps it to adhere to it and makes it easier to flip and position on cake.

sugarMomma Posted 1 May 2008 , 3:03pm
post #3 of 29

But when you flip it onto the cake, wouldn't it be crisco side up? Or do you use a rolling pin to cover the cake?

I'm covering my first 14" square and I'm nervous. Especially since it's for a wedding that I'll be attending.

sugarMomma Posted 1 May 2008 , 3:04pm
post #4 of 29

But when you flip it onto the cake, wouldn't it be crisco side up? Or do you use a rolling pin to cover the cake?

I'm covering my first 14" square and I'm nervous. Especially since it's for a wedding that I'll be attending.

all4cake Posted 1 May 2008 , 5:14pm
post #5 of 29

Yes, it is crisco side up. I don't put massive amounts of shortening on it...just a slight smear. If I were using a rolling pin to aid in positioning the fondant on the cake, I would choose ps over cs. Corn starch tends to dry out the fondant causing cracking.

Hopefully, others with more experience will chime in soon to help out with this one.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 1 May 2008 , 5:34pm
post #6 of 29

I use a small amount of shortening to roll out my fondant when covering a cake. If you use too much it will cause the fondant to breakdown and you will get tears much easier.

If there is too much sheen on my covered cake I use a dust puff containing icing sugar and rub the icing sugar on to the surface of my cake. It's kinda like using make up except on cakes.

Also as a rule, I use icing sugar for fondant and corn starch for gumpaste.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 1 May 2008 , 6:12pm
post #7 of 29

I also use a very small coating of shortening for both gumpaste and fondant. I actually don't mind the slight sheen on the fondant-covered cake. I find it doesn't impact how quickly my gumpaste dries.

cassi_g16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassi_g16 Posted 1 May 2008 , 7:00pm
post #8 of 29

I use shortening also. I prefer the slight sheen to the white spots left from ps or cs

sugarMomma Posted 1 May 2008 , 10:22pm
post #9 of 29

thank you everybodu for the input! Please feel free to add any more tips!

kandypa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandypa Posted 1 May 2008 , 10:25pm
post #10 of 29

I have been wondering the same thing...good question. I don't have a mat would I still use shortening. I have always used cornstarch with MMF. Just reheat a bit if it gets too stiff. But I also keep flipping while rolling out so it doesnt stick to the table. Today I was working with Gumpaste and used PS. MMMMM could this be why i am always frustrated icon_rolleyes.gif I will try you guys' suggestions.

cakesbycombs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycombs Posted 2 May 2008 , 12:12am
post #11 of 29

i use Pam...is this weird...i feel like the odd man out?

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 2 May 2008 , 4:34am
post #12 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandypa

Today I was working with Gumpaste and used PS. MMMMM could this be why i am always frustrated icon_rolleyes.gif I will try you guys' suggestions.

It's best to use cornstarch when working with gumpaste. Icing sugar tends to make it sticky.

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 2 May 2008 , 4:47am
post #13 of 29

I used shortening when I roll it out and it goes shortening side on the cake. Then any extras I make adhere with the shortening side be it stripes or polka dots.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 2 May 2008 , 5:02am
post #14 of 29

I use crisco on the mat. I use a silicone rolling pin and I don't flip it at all while I'm rolling it. It goes crisco side on the cake, because I've noticed that I can only get a smooth surface if I do it that way...otherwise it will have little pits here and there.

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 2 May 2008 , 11:20am
post #15 of 29

I use a small amout of Crisco on the mat as well. It woeks well just be sure to use a very small amout of Crisco.

kandypa Posted 2 May 2008 , 5:30pm
post #16 of 29

So if you don't have a mat do you still use crisco? I don't have one large enough.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 2 May 2008 , 10:53pm
post #17 of 29

wow...and i've been doin' it the hard way. icon_confused.gif i never thought of using shortening.

JennJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennJ Posted 2 May 2008 , 11:11pm
post #18 of 29

I use shortening too! nothing but!....Fondant loves it. I just made a wedding cake today myself, and I usually put some cornstarch on my fondant smoother before i smooth out my cake, and i find it takes some of the greasy-ness away and smoothes out your cake at the same time.

kandypa Posted 2 May 2008 , 11:22pm
post #19 of 29
Quote:

So if you don't have a mat do you still use crisco? I don't have one large enough.

I have a wood table. I am getting ready to cover a 16" round and want to try the crisco....will it work?

mom2owen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2owen1 Posted 3 May 2008 , 12:30am
post #20 of 29
Quote:

Quote:

I have a wood table. I am getting ready to cover a 16" round and want to try the crisco....will it work?

I was wondering the same thing! I am also about to try it just on my wood table. Let me know how yours turns out!

Kris

JennJ Posted 3 May 2008 , 1:19am
post #21 of 29

hummmmmmm.....I dont know, I would think the wood would soak up the grease....

I bought a "Roll-&-Cut Mat" from Michaels Crafts, and it works great. Not very expensive, and when u roll the fondant out, you pick the entire mat up with your fondant on it, flip it overand position it onto your cake fondant face down on cake, and then you peal off the mat, and your findant comes off nice and smooth...no finger impressions. If the fondant sticks to the matt, then you didn't use enough criscoicon_smile.gif Hope this helps.

Jenn

all4cake Posted 3 May 2008 , 1:43am
post #22 of 29

If I were rolling it out without a mat, I would use sifted ps or a ps/cs mixture to keep it from adhering to the surface then use a dusted pin or fat dowel to aid in moving and positioning the fondant.

JennJ Posted 3 May 2008 , 3:47am
post #23 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

If I were rolling it out without a mat, I would use sifted ps or a ps/cs mixture to keep it from adhering to the surface then use a dusted pin or fat dowel to aid in moving and positioning the fondant.

Ps/cs sometimes tends to dry the fondant out and sometimes tears when you try to smooth it around edges. Crisco keeps it moist, and the fondant works well with it as it conditions it, and will come off the mat much easier. icon_smile.gif

mom2owen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2owen1 Posted 3 May 2008 , 3:54am
post #24 of 29

Crisco on the table seemed to work fine for me. I didn't use enough the first time, but the 2nd time worked fine. I ended up just lifting it onto the cake and not using a rolling pin, so the crisco side was down. I found the lack of ps made it harder to smooth.

Kris

all4cake Posted 3 May 2008 , 3:55am
post #25 of 29

right...crisco/shortening if using a mat.

If rolling directly on the counter or table, using crisco/shortening makes it difficult to remove from surface....and if you do manage to remove it, it sticks to the pin or itself before it can be positioned on the cake.

when using ps to assist in rolling, it should be kneaded completely before hitting the dusted area...say knead it on a lightly greased area, flatten it a bit to a general shape then move the fondant to dusted area to roll out only. Doing it this way shouldn't incorporate such a high amount of ps that it would dry the fondant.

all4cake Posted 3 May 2008 , 4:12am
post #26 of 29

she actually uses both...hmmmm a fix for both?

and yet another uses nothing but rolls it out on parchment...works for pie dough, right.

Anyway, I wasn't saying one way was right or wrong just answering as to what I do or would do.

pearliesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pearliesmom Posted 3 May 2008 , 4:20am
post #27 of 29

I have always used ps and I find that I end up with the ps everywhere on me, on the dog, and all over the kitchen. I will have to try the crisco and I will also have to get a mat.

kbgieger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbgieger Posted 3 May 2008 , 9:30pm
post #28 of 29

I use a piece of vinyl that I got at the fabric store, then put shortening on that. (I read about this in an earlier post). It's great if you're doing something large. It's also pretty cheap. I think the piece I got covers half my dining room table (4' X 5')and maybe cost me $3.00. I usually put the Wilton mat underneath the vinyl, so I have some idea of size.

The shortening works great so far!

Karen

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 4 May 2008 , 2:43am
post #29 of 29

I use vinyl also, but found it hard to roll fondant out on crisco because the fondant seems to want to hold is position and doesn't glide as you roll. That probably makes no sense!!! Anyway, I 've tried all combinations and for me, straight corn starch on vinyl works the best. Maybe its the fondant recipe, but I've never had drying out problems using corn starch. In fact, when I screw up and have to re-roll three times, the added corn starch usually makes my fondant easier to work with-less sticky, but never dry.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%