Has Anyone Used The First Impression Molds Perfect Pearls?

Decorating By Cakepro Updated 23 May 2008 , 9:33pm by sisspence

Cakepro Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:57am
post #1 of 41

Hi ~

I'm looking at the First Impression Molds 'Perfect Pearls' molds and am wondering if anyone has used these. I would love a review! I would especially love it if someone has also used the CK bead maker molds and can compare the two products.

Thanks bunches!
Sherri

40 replies
wgoat5 Posted 1 May 2008 , 10:08am
post #2 of 41

They are both tricky in my opinion ( I have 2 of the FIM's) and you just have to play around with them...it seems like the more you use them the more they get "seasoned" ...

I would also tell you before you get them that to wash them don't submerge them in water.. take some hot soapy water and a rag and do them this way.. there have been lots of reports that something changes them. And they are expensive so I just take precautions icon_smile.gif

I'm sorry if this isn't much help.

Cakepro Posted 1 May 2008 , 1:58pm
post #3 of 41

Thanks for the info, Christy!

I saw SugarShack use the CK pearl mold at a DOS a few weeks ago and it didn't look too tricky, but of course she makes everything look easy! LOL

She did mention the same thing you said - that with use, it becomes more seasoned.

Does the FIM pearl maker mold look like the CK mold? You spread it apart, put in your fondant 'snake' and squeeze it back together? The only picture I've seen is on the GSA site and it shows the finished pearls, not the pearl mold itself. Are there 3 sizes of pearls in one mold?

Thanks so much!
Sherri

wrightway777 Posted 1 May 2008 , 2:04pm
post #4 of 41

Have you tried making your own pearls that shine? Theres a great popular how to that I can hunt down if interested.

bcake1960 Posted 1 May 2008 , 2:08pm
post #5 of 41

I have them and love them! I found the trick is to roll your "snake or worm" of fondant and just let it sit for a few min's then push them in the molds the fondant shouldn't be sticky at all. It took me some time but since I have been doing this it works everytime.. also before you unmold give it a little squeeze to round them out a little more on the back side.. Hope this helps! they are WAYYYY better than the CK molds I have these as well but not as nice to work with.. and the FIM molds are longer!! Less work!!

Cakepro Posted 1 May 2008 , 2:10pm
post #6 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightway777

Have you tried making your own pearls that shine? Theres a great popular how to that I can hunt down if interested.

The way the pearl bead maker mold was demonstrated was by Sharon dusting the inside of the mold with super pearl dust, so they came out of the mold already dusted. Is there a better way? I'm just not interested in making pearls by hand, hence the purchase of the molds. icon_smile.gif Too much work to make them by hand!!

Thanks,
Sherri

Cakepro Posted 1 May 2008 , 2:12pm
post #7 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcake1960

I have them and love them! I found the trick is to roll your "snake or worm" of fondant and just let it sit for a few min's then push them in the molds the fondant shouldn't be sticky at all. It took me some time but since I have been doing this it works everytime.. also before you unmold give it a little squeeze to round them out a little more on the back side.. Hope this helps! they are WAYYYY better than the CK molds I have these as well but not as nice to work with.. and the FIM molds are longer!! Less work!!

Girl, that is just the information I was looking for!!

I went ahead and ordered the 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, & 8 mm molds from GSA last night. I am so excited to get them!!

Thanks!
Sherri

nefgaby Posted 1 May 2008 , 2:23pm
post #8 of 41

I own the CK beader maker and the first impressions and I can tell you, I hate the CK and LOVE the first impressions, the CK is so hard, in my opinion compared to the first impressions!

Soooo, first impressions is the way to go!

2sdae Posted 1 May 2008 , 2:24pm
post #9 of 41

on both my ck and fim I use the pearl dusts in them before I put in the fondant and they always come out wonderfully.
I have 2 different ones of the FIM and they are the graduated sizes and they do come in 1 strip with all three sizes on the one mold.

bcake1960 Posted 1 May 2008 , 2:26pm
post #10 of 41

Great!! Glad I could help Sherri!! You will love them! I use them all the time.. I even used the smallest size for my Alligator teeth for my jungle cake! Ha!
LL

Katie-Bug Posted 1 May 2008 , 2:36pm
post #11 of 41

I haven't used the FIM's but I have had a problem with the CK molds breaking. thumbsdown.gif
You know how you put the worm in the push together and then pull back open, well on the backside - they break. I may be the only one with this problem, but once it cracks on the back, you might as well throw it away.

I will have to check out the FMI's! thumbs_up.gif

2sdae Posted 1 May 2008 , 2:44pm
post #12 of 41

Intotheoven.com sells the FIM and their shipping is really low. I love the gel material the molds are made of, they really hold up well.

Cakepro Posted 1 May 2008 , 2:49pm
post #13 of 41

Oh my goodness, bcake1960, that cake is ADORABLE!!!

Thanks so much for all of the info guys!!

Sherri

jessienj Posted 1 May 2008 , 3:44pm
post #14 of 41

I have both but I exclusively use the FIM molds now. I love them! They come in 12 inch strips so less work and they don't tear like my ck ones did - which would leave a gash in my pearls (hated that).

the trick i found was to do the sizes I needed all at one time and then pop them in the freezer for a few minutes. They come out so much easier and are easier to handle and place on the cake IMHO. I now have the 3,4,5 strip along with the 6,8 and 10 strip and will probably purchase the larger size they have as well. Love FIM molds - I have several others and the quality is superior to others I think.

wrightway777 Posted 1 May 2008 , 7:14pm
post #15 of 41

this is a good post, I am going to have to get the FIM molds - thanks so much.

sugarshack Posted 3 May 2008 , 4:44pm
post #16 of 41

i only have the Ck ones and love them but can I ask.... do the FIM ones give you a 3d pearl or just a strip of half pearls like some molds I have seen?

JenniferMI Posted 3 May 2008 , 7:16pm
post #17 of 41

I LOVE the CK pearl makers. I'm under the impression the FI ones only make a 1/2 pearl instead of an all around pearl, like a real strand.

I always just my molds with super pearl first. I have used my CK molds for literally HUNDREDS of strands and they hold up. You just have to know how to use them properly. I also love pearls made with my pearl clay. This product makes them look totally REAL! And, it's choc., too!

Very soon, I'll have a step by step out in DVD # 2. (Hope that is ok to say, if not, I'll understand mods if you have to remove it)

Jennifer icon_smile.gif
questions? e-mail [email protected]
I usually don't watch the posts... to much e-mail icon_smile.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 3 May 2008 , 7:42pm
post #18 of 41

I've had the FIM perfect pearl mold for a year and just got to use it yesterday. I was in a hurry and had pretty much forgotten how Nick Lodge had demonstrated it-LOL.

So, I dabbed the inside with a bit of cornstarch, rolled a quick thin rope of fondant, rubbed it with a bit of cornstarch (my pearls were to be pink and I didn't want to put pink luster in the mold--had they been white, I would have used super pearl luster dust instead of the cornstarch), literally stuffed it into the mold, ran my palette knife across the extra paste, pressed down on the paste in the mold, and then (and this was the important part to get a good 3/4 round pearl, as mine didn't need to be completely round) I pressed in on the sides of the mold. To release them, I held the mold vertically, splayed the strip open, and allowed the strand to fall out onto the table. I was delighted with the quick, easy, clean result.

For fully round strands of pearls, no doubt that the CK molds are the way to go, but even for a border, I'd be tempted to use this one--the strand is a foot long!

HTH
Rae

Cakepro Posted 3 May 2008 , 9:15pm
post #19 of 41

SERIOUSLY - do these molds make completely round pearls??

They better, because I just ordered the 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 12, and 14 mm molds!!!! For $60 shipped, I might add...so maybe I won't care if the undersides are flat. icon_wink.gif

Hmmmmm....somebody please tell me these make perfectly round pearls.

Sherri

BlakesCakes Posted 3 May 2008 , 9:27pm
post #20 of 41

Sorry, Sherri, but no, the FIM molds don't make completely round pearls. The best I get with them is about 3/4th round (by pinching the mold together after leveling and before taking the strand out.

You can get completely round strands out of the CK molds, but the strands are shorter, they often have a "mold" mark on one side that needs to be trimmed away, and the strands are short.

I guess it's a trade-off, depending on what you require.

Rae

Cakepro Posted 3 May 2008 , 9:36pm
post #21 of 41

Oh bummer...I was hoping that you were just in a hurry and didn't mind that the backside was a little flat.

Thanks for letting me know!

Sherri

wrightway777 Posted 4 May 2008 , 1:54am
post #22 of 41

I ordered some too from GSA (the FIM b/c of this post) with a bunch of other stuff. Even some "unbreakable gel" that turns white and is supposedly "virtually unbreakable" (for string work, lace, etc). Anybody have any experience with that? I wonder if its truly edible?

bcake1960 Posted 5 May 2008 , 4:08am
post #23 of 41

Sherri,
No the FIM molds are not fully round I have had no problem making them work for most of my needs and like I said I do have the Ck Molds as well for Full rounded pearls (i have not had to use them since I have had my FIM molds...) You wont be sorry .. HTH

bcake1960 Posted 5 May 2008 , 4:11am
post #24 of 41

"I also love pearls made with my pearl clay. This product makes them look totally REAL! And, it's choc., too! "

Ok Jennifer,,,, I have to ask... What is pearl clay?? I have to know......

JenniferMI Posted 5 May 2008 , 12:35pm
post #25 of 41

Pearl clay is a chocolate product I developed to make brilliant, shiny pearls.

If you have any questions, please e-mail me, [email protected]

Jen icon_smile.gif

Yomomma Posted 5 May 2008 , 4:14pm
post #26 of 41

Thanks to who ever pointed out that FIM were not fully round. I was a breath away from mail-ordering and would have been majorly bummed to find out that when received.

projectqueen Posted 7 May 2008 , 5:35pm
post #27 of 41

So what are they like, then? A semi-circle? I was also a breath away from ordering since I need to make tons of pearls for a wedding cake. Is it obvious when it's used as a border that it's not a complete circle?

Can someone PLEASE post of pic of a cake they where have used the FIM mold for a pearl border? PLEASE???? thumbs_up.gif

jessienj Posted 7 May 2008 , 7:18pm
post #28 of 41

Original design by sugarshack...she is one of my cake idols icon_smile.gif
LL

projectqueen Posted 7 May 2008 , 7:21pm
post #29 of 41

Gorgeous cake!

The pearl border looks nice there. Do you sort of angle it to make it look like it's a full pearl? Or do you put it flat on the lower tier?

Thanks for posting the pic!

jessienj Posted 7 May 2008 , 7:28pm
post #30 of 41

If you fill the cavity nice and neatly then pop them in the freezer for maybe 10 minutes and right before you pop them out sort of give them a little pinch to define the pearls a little more, it should do the trick. Sometimes I do it before i freeze it, sometimes after - don't think it really matters. I then lay them on the cake either with the flat side down or the flat side laying on the side of the cake. I just play with it to see what looks best. I prefer the FIMs over all the other brands.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%