Argh!! What's Going On With My Ganache?!

Decorating By Aubrey2007 Updated 1 May 2008 , 11:54am by HerBoudoir

Aubrey2007 Posted 1 May 2008 , 3:44am
post #1 of 7

Of course I have my cake all planed out tonight and I'm whipping up my Ganache in the KA and it's NOT whipping!?! WTHeck is going on?! OK, the only thing I did wonky with it is I added the cream to the chocolate and then left it. I forgot to stir it for about a half hour. So oops I came back to it, stirred it and it combined just fine. That was yesterday. Now I've been whipping it for about 10 min and it's still just smooth chocolate. I think I'm going to have to make a new batch. Grrr...has this happened to anyone before? Am I just being impatient? I can't find my whipped ganache recipe either so I don't know how long to whip it for. This cake was supposed to be EASY!! icon_cry.gif

6 replies
leah_s Posted 1 May 2008 , 3:49am
post #2 of 7

Sounds like too much cream. Melt a little chocolate and throw it in.

Aubrey2007 Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:11am
post #3 of 7

THanks Leahs! I'll try it now. icon_smile.gif

Aubrey2007 Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:32am
post #4 of 7

OK, how much is a "little" more chocolate. I added about a cup and it's still mixing. I just remember the first whipped ganache I made came together so much easier. Seems like I only whipped it for just a few mins. icon_sad.gif

leah_s Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:44am
post #5 of 7

I can't say how much a little is, because I don't know the proportion of cream to chocolate you used originally. About 2 parts chocolate to 1 part cream should have worked. If it doesn't whip, and stays too smooth or soft, the only solution I know is to add more solid stuff (chocolate) because you sure can't get the cream out.

Aubrey2007 Posted 1 May 2008 , 5:36am
post #6 of 7

Well darn. It didn't work. I added about a cup to 12oz chocolate 1 cup cream ganache. It granulated because I mixed it for so long. I dumped it and started over. Did the exact same recipe, except that I stirred the chocolate and the cream after sitting for a min. (Instead of 30 as before.) I set it in an ice bath to cool while I made my fondant. I just now whipped it and within 10 seconds of whipping it was that nice fluffy frosting consistency. Soooo...not sure what happened with the first batch, but glad I had extra chocolate on hand to make more. icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks anyway Leahs for trying to help me. thumbs_up.gif

HerBoudoir Posted 1 May 2008 , 11:54am
post #7 of 7

I usually do the method of whipped ganache from the Cake Bible....might be something to try in the future as I think it's a little more forgiving.

Melt your chocolate with just a small amount of whipped cream. (Say about 1/2 cup of cream for 1 lb of chocolate) Let cool to room temperature (but still liquid-y)

Beat the rest of your cream (a cup and a half to balance that quantity of chocolate, but I've used less, I've used more, depending on the consistency I want) in a chilled bowl until you have soft peak whipped cream. Add the ganache, and beat until incorporated, scraping down the sides of the bowl.

I use this method for stablized whipped cream by adding a very small amount of white chocolate ganache to cream, and I've used loads of dark chocolate-to-cream. Works every time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%