Structural (Sp) Help

Decorating By Batter-UpBakery Updated 3 May 2008 , 1:33am by Batter-UpBakery

Batter-UpBakery Posted 1 May 2008 , 3:16am
post #1 of 4

I am doing a baby shower cake for a friend of mine for the 10th of May. We talked about just making a square cake with pastel dots to match the invites, but i was thinking about trying to do a carriage, 3d i guess would be what i am looking for. i was thinking about using carved styrophome (sp) lol covered in fondant for the canopy and carving the cake to make the carriage. My question is does anybody have any ideas as far as how to stablize this??? Doug??? lol

3 replies
Doug Posted 1 May 2008 , 9:10pm
post #2 of 4

easy version.

first make a square plywood base the size of the carriage you want.

then attach dowels in x shape to create the legs (drill holes into plywood so you can glue and screw them in place.)

also add screw and glue at the point they cross.

then add thinner dowels for the axles.

and add wheels -- could be real, styrofoam, or cake.

main body of carriage is just layers of cake (i show 2) stacked and carved to round off corners (not shown)

hood is NOT hollow but solid as it is round cut into quarters and stood on edge w/ skewers through horizontally to help hold together.

then lots of frilly detail work

kimkait Posted 3 May 2008 , 1:29am
post #3 of 4

Doug, you really need to write a book with all these ideas you give us, so we can have it for easy reference!

Batter-UpBakery Posted 3 May 2008 , 1:33am
post #4 of 4

ohhh thanks so much doug, i agree you should write a book hehe. i am gonna have to write this down lol THANKS AGAIN icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%