Food Network Challenge - Engagement Cakes

Decorating By beachcakes Updated 5 May 2008 , 12:53pm by aswartzw

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 1 May 2008 , 2:08am
post #1 of 49

I just caught the re-run of the engagement cake challenge. I can't believe that guy won - AGAIN. Especially since he doesn't listen to one thing the client wants...

48 replies
kcniese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcniese Posted 1 May 2008 , 2:17am
post #2 of 49

I watche it also and thought his cake was not that great. I looked like white squrae cakes with flowers thrown in between I did not like it, but the flowers where great.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 1 May 2008 , 2:21am
post #3 of 49

He won another competition the same way, with flowers he made before he ever met the clients. I agree they're gorgeous, but it's like he made what he felt like not what they wanted.

kcniese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcniese Posted 1 May 2008 , 2:23am
post #4 of 49

I watche it also and thought his cake was not that great. I looked like white squrae cakes with flowers thrown in between I did not like it, but the flowers where great.

Onome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Onome Posted 1 May 2008 , 2:27am
post #5 of 49

I actually love the guy who won. I think he may want to listen to the clients more though. I think that he is very talented, but young and you know how we young people can be. We sometimes do not listen, but with time he will learn the skill of listening. I know I have been guilty of not listening in the past. So when I saw him on tv, I was a bit scared for him. Nevertheless all the cakes were spectacular. I wish I could figure out how the pink one with the gold rings and the spinning tiers was made. Can someone tell me???
Pleasseee.

Denae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denae Posted 1 May 2008 , 2:31am
post #6 of 49

well, for his cake not to be "that great" he sure did win 10 grand. i thought his flowers and creativity was beautiful. i wish my flowers looked that great!

marysgobaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marysgobaa Posted 1 May 2008 , 2:33am
post #7 of 49

i think joshua john and his other hottie friend should have won, 'cause i have the hots for them both, haha.

susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 1 May 2008 , 2:34am
post #8 of 49

well seeing as the couple picked the winner.......they must have really liked it. i thought all the cakes were good expect the one they said looked too heavy it was more 16 birthday to me it was a cute cake but to me just not what the competition called for

MystiqueFire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MystiqueFire Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:20am
post #9 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by marysgobaa

i think joshua john and his other hottie friend should have won, 'cause i have the hots for them both, haha.

You and me both, sister ;0)

Jasmine

pinktea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinktea Posted 1 May 2008 , 10:37pm
post #10 of 49

If you noticed from his interview, he said he was was trying to draw them into the vision HE had for the cake. I think even if they told him they where big gothic fans and wanted a black cake , it would have been the same cake in black.

Didn't you just want to cry when the other team agreed to help out Marina's team? That was so sweet. And the cake turned out really good despite of.

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 1 May 2008 , 10:51pm
post #11 of 49
Quote:

It was not just looks or design, they tasted the cakes also .. so it was looks and taste.. I think those guys are Gay, all the guys that were there. Nothing wrong there as a Pastry Chef, just something to consider if you have a crush on them.. icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif I think that Pink and Black one was too loud. Too bad Marina Souza fainted..

vteventrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vteventrider Posted 1 May 2008 , 11:56pm
post #12 of 49

I find it funny that he won both competitions with cakes that were not anything like what the clients asked for and with the 16th b-day cake it was not even the color scheme that she wanted. It just goes to show how stunning his flowers are that the clients changed what they wanted and visioned for their cake when they saw those. His flowers are really beautiful.

BTW, I loved how those guys showed such great sportsmanship. It was truly the best moment of the competition and even the judges praised them which I think was wonderful.

mrsbink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsbink Posted 2 May 2008 , 12:16am
post #13 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystiqueFire

Quote:

Jasmine

ditto!!!! icon_lol.gif
they were so sweet too, and talented... and...oh sorry... icon_wink.gif

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 2 May 2008 , 12:29am
post #14 of 49

I think the fact that he continues to win is going to do away with this type of cake competition.

What's the point in the "surprise client", when the decorator doesn't actually do what the client wants but wins anyway? I think the fact that he won (TWICE!) is a slap in the face to those who actually followed the "rules" and designed a cake around the clients wants/tastes.

To come into a competition where a major part of it is having to design the cake on the fly - already prepared with a design and half your design elements is completely disingenuous. What do you think is going to happen with the next such competition? ALL the decorators are going to come already prepared...

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 2 May 2008 , 12:51pm
post #15 of 49

I totally agree with you BrandisBaked! I thought the same thing when they did the ultimate wedding cake challenge and Buddy Valastro gave them his prepared design. It was totally NOT in the spirit of the competition, and a bit arrogant I thought- even if the design was great or not so great.

mrsbink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsbink Posted 2 May 2008 , 2:44pm
post #16 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by momsandraven

I totally agree with you BrandisBaked! I thought the same thing when they did the ultimate wedding cake challenge and Buddy Valastro gave them his prepared design. It was totally NOT in the spirit of the competition, and a bit arrogant I thought- even if the design was great or not so great.

Oh, I saw this one last night. It was really arrogant, I couldn't believe it! When he wouldn't change the monogram when the bride asked him to, he said "it wasn't that big of a deal" and he was the artist...That guy was pretty rude.

pinktea Posted 2 May 2008 , 3:04pm
post #17 of 49

I fell asleep on last night's show. icon_cry.gif . What happened . I got as far as the second half. I did not see Buddy refuse to remove the monogram!!!

Pleaseeee fill me in??

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 2 May 2008 , 5:17pm
post #18 of 49

I'd have to watch the ultimate wedding competition again - I don't remember that part.

I was just cheesed that they allowed that jerk to win. I don't care how good his flowers are, in my mind, he cheated.

I remember another competition where a woman was slammed for having brought her Betty Boop figure already made, but nobody made a peep about him bringing all his flowers and already having a design.

vteventrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vteventrider Posted 2 May 2008 , 5:29pm
post #19 of 49

Buddy was horribly arrogant about his cake. I know he is an artist but they are the client and all they wanted were a few things changed but he had his design and that was that. I agree what is the point of these if you are supposed to design and decorate on the fly, but come with a design and decorations already.

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 2 May 2008 , 5:41pm
post #20 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinktea

Didn't you just want to cry when the other team agreed to help out Marina's team? That was so sweet.

I did! I think that that was the sweetest thing, and the best part of the show! If you go to Marina's website and click on events, she thanks the guys for helping Dawn to finish the cake. That is class!

http://www.justcake.com/flash_index.php

Briniga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briniga Posted 2 May 2008 , 5:42pm
post #21 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbink

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsandraven

Oh, I saw this one last night. It was really arrogant, I couldn't believe it! When he wouldn't change the monogram when the bride asked him to, he said "it wasn't that big of a deal" and he was the artist...That guy was pretty rude.

Yea I hate when people are like that. Its not about if he likes it, its about what the bride & groom want, u have to make them happy, or u will get a bad reputation & u will lose business over it.

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 2 May 2008 , 5:44pm
post #22 of 49

I thought buddy was arrogant too. Before they even said anything about the monogram I was thinking it looked unprofessional compared to the rest of the cake which I thought was gorgeous. I think it's funny that the lady who won, won. It looked kind of strange to me, like it didn't flow very well.

On the surprise engagement I thought that the cake that won was pretty, but not what I would think would classify as an engagement cake. I thought the ring one or the one joshua jon did-even though it needed some more color.

I saw the sweet 16 cake and even though it wasn't what she wanted in the beginning I think it was a beautiful cake.

I was wondering the same thing about why the guy with the gorgeous flowers doesn't get razzed about bringing in those flowers and they got onto the other people about the betty boop and the other people with the chocolates. Maybe it's different rules for wedding cakes. I know the flowers have to dry.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to tonights shows.

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 2 May 2008 , 5:45pm
post #23 of 49

i seem to be at a disadvantage here. Does anyone have a link to this program so I can see what everyone is talking about?

I'd like to see too! icon_cry.gifthumbs_up.gif

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 2 May 2008 , 5:47pm
post #24 of 49

Buddy was totally arrogant! I couldn't believe he brushed off their comments and then still had the nerve to say he thought he'd won it. Nothing the clients said indicated pleasure with the final cake.

As for the engagement cake, the only cake I liked was the won that won. Seriously, maybe it's not right that he already had a plan but I personally think all the other cakes were trying too hard and looked gaudy.

Besides, what does it really matter? The couple chose the cake they liked and if it happened to be the one who already brought the flowers. So what?? They liked it better than the others.

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 2 May 2008 , 5:50pm
post #25 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbink

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystiqueFire

Quote:

Jasmine

ditto!!!! icon_lol.gif
they were so sweet too, and talented... and...oh sorry... icon_wink.gif

Oh Gosh!!! those two are HOT!!! and talented.

I liked Marina's cake the most, too bad she fainted...I hope she's doing well.

Biabeke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biabeke Posted 2 May 2008 , 5:57pm
post #26 of 49

I am so glad that Michelle Bommarito won the challenge. She is humble and has a warm smile. Buddy Valastro was indeed arrogant. Who does he think he is? icon_biggrin.gif

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 2 May 2008 , 5:58pm
post #27 of 49

I thought the same thing, b/c sometimes the clients cannot imagine the cake and how the final product will look, although the designer has a very clear vision of what he or she is doing. That Rozelle guy has guts though to do what he wants!!!!!!!!!! And I think for Buddy, being such a wonderful and helpful guy in real life, he was quite a bit arrogant on the show.

pinktea Posted 2 May 2008 , 6:24pm
post #28 of 49

Do you recall the "Disney Villian" challenge where Buddy did "Scar" and the head fell off?

He had an arrogant attitude on this one too. He blamed everybody but himself. He did a cake on " Whose Wedding is it Anyway" and the seem to be a very nice person . Very cooperative with the bride.

Maybe he doesnt handle the stress of the competition?

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 3 May 2008 , 1:59am
post #29 of 49

OOPS icon_redface.gif I spelled Rosselle wrong!!!!!!!!!

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 3 May 2008 , 7:24am
post #30 of 49

Could someone please tell me how I can see this online? I'd like to see too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%