Not Legal But Advertising Like Crazy????

Decorating By SueW Updated 8 May 2008 , 4:56pm by ntertayneme

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:09pm
post #31 of 109

How are things looking from that high horse?

Maybe they are legal.

Maybe they have the best-tasting cupcakes in the history of the world (besides mine, of course). Who cares if they only have a swirl of frosting? Do cupcakes that take a half an hour each to decorate really taste that much better than cupcakes with a simple swirl of icing?

Send them a friendly e-mail, introduce yourself as a neighbor AND a fellow decorator (that is, if you possibly can deign to put yourself in the same boat as 'swirls-of-icing-cupcake-makers) and invite them here. Who knows, they may already be members.

icon_confused.gif

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:12pm
post #32 of 109

Lol, let's not get mean with each other. It's for me it's not really about being legal or not legal right now but adding insult to injury.

If you're not legal but you're being cool about your stuff, then fine.

But, you're not legal and are out there swinging from chandeliers and screaming about your business, then I have every right to tranquilize your butt down.

tee hee!!

Babarooskie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babarooskie Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:15pm
post #33 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheButterWench

No, no! I'm not angry or jealous that they do what they do.

I'm livid because they took my idea. Not that the idea was my original, but I had been blogging about it on my myspace website to let people know what I'm doing and when I get new cake things.

I got the page for the free blog, lol. Not for business and they are on the "friends" list. That's what I get. I think I should blog someplace else.

lol

Oh please, they can do whatever they want, they are like 21/23 do you think they will stick with it?

My clients are from a WHOOOOOOLE 'nuther base.

I don't think age has anything to do with it. I've seen a girl here making cakes and she's 14. If you have done the Myspace thing, maybe you should have like special offers. For example, every time they refer someone, they get 15% off their next purchase.

I started making cakes when I was 23. I'll be 25 this year.

TheButterWench Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:19pm
post #34 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babarooskie

Quote:

I'm livid because they took my idea. Not that the idea was my original, but I had been blogging about it on my myspace website to let people know what I'm doing and when I get new cake things.

I got the page for the free blog, lol. Not for business and they are on the "friends" list. That's what I get. I think I should blog someplace else.

lol

Oh please, they can do whatever they want, they are like 21/23 do you think they will stick with it?

I don't tink age has nothing to do with it. I've seen a girl here making cakes and she's 14. If you have dome the Myspace thing, maybe you should have like special offers. For example, every time they refer someone, they get 15% off their next purchase.

um, yes, I started young too, but these girls just look like party girls and may be interested in the next , new, now thing when it catches their eyes.

Maybe I'm just judging but hey I can dream. lol

thumbs_up.gif

Oh well, back to my kitchen I have cakes for the weekend! lol

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:19pm
post #35 of 109

For those claiming that they could be legal... Please recall the OP's first post that a friend of the 2 girls said they "AREN'T LEGAL".

Now as for this legal thing, I'm just glad I live in the great state of Ohio where I don't have to be legal to sell baked goods. Thank goodness to the Cottage Laws.

As for these two, I'd definitely order a cupcake or two just to see what they are doing. Size up your competition and just keep doing your thing and realize everybody gets their "just desserts."

TheButterWench Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:21pm
post #36 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswartzw

For those claiming that they could be legal... Please recall the OP's first post that a friend of the 2 girls said they "AREN'T LEGAL".

Now as for this legal thing, I'm just glad I live in the great state of Ohio where I don't have to be legal to sell baked goods. Thank goodness to the Cottage Laws.

As for these two, I'd definitely order a cupcake or two just to see what they are doing. Size up your competition and just keep doing your thing and realize everybody gets their "just desserts."

Tee hee,

"JUST DESSERTS"

Gotta love that! oh well. back into my cake cave to fill my weekend orders, I'll be floating around.

jessigurl182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessigurl182 Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:22pm
post #37 of 109
Quote:

Quote:

lol

I don't think age has anything to do with it. I've seen a girl here making cakes and she's 14. If you have done the Myspace thing, maybe you should have like special offers. For example, every time they refer someone, they get 15% off their next purchase.

Thank you for saying this I am 21 years old and started when I was 15. If I have already been doing it for 6 years who is to say that just because I am 21 and not older than that, that I am not going to "stick with it." By the way the people that I make cakes for are of all ages so please don't just assume that because you are older that you have such a different client base than us younger people do.

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:22pm
post #38 of 109

icon_confused.gif I'm still trying to figure out why you are so irritaed with this 'home' business. You've assumed they were not legal, you are not legal..the only difference is that they are advertising and you are not. Are you upset because they decided to advertise and you didn't? What does it matter really? They are the ones who will have to pay fines if they are caught, not you. Yes they may get a few more orders, but they are also working in a very risky mannor. I feel there is enough room in this world for more 'home' cake decorators. I agree with the other poster..give them a call, introduce yourself and stop worrying about something you have no control over. Make your product well and the customers will find you as well. Word of mouth is a very powerful too. JMHO

TheButterWench Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:28pm
post #39 of 109

Sweetcravings, I hope that was't for me. I have a legal, registered and inspected bakery.

I'm not upset about these girls advertising, I'm upset that they read something in my blog and lifted the idea right out of there.

But in the long run, not overy upset because I have many, many irons in the fire.

I used my blog as a sort of sounding board and to get other's opinions. I'm happy that my idea was good enough for someone to lift, I've even seen people copy something on my cake designs and that's cool too.

I was just venting about this, and so was the OP.

Just because we vent about things that others don't agree with doesn't mean we are trying to rile things up.

This thread will remain cool, if you all stop getting your hackles up about off the cuff remarks. SORRY, SORRY, SORRY that I offended ANYONE about the age thing.

Guess what? I baked my first loaf of bread at 12, so don't preach to the choir. LOL!!!

aswartzw Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:31pm
post #40 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessigurl182

Quote:

Quote:

lol

Thank you for saying this I am 21 years old and started when I was 15. If I have already been doing it for 6 years who is to say that just because I am 21 and not older than that, that I am not going to "stick with it." By the way the people that I make cakes for are of all ages so please don't just assume that because you are older that you have such a different client base than us younger people do.

All right, people. Enough is enough. I'm 26 and even I know what she meant by her statement is young people have a tendency to be less dedicated than older adults. Don't take it so personally! It's simply a biological fact.

LJ5011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LJ5011 Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:35pm
post #41 of 109

Does anyone know what the laws are in Texas? I would like to do this legally and am currently baking from home.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:35pm
post #42 of 109

Please everyone take a big breath.

First, it would be wrong to post the web site of those girls here. They will almost certainly get some bad emails or phone calls. Nothing productive will come of it. Those girls could be members here. The hostility is wrong.

Secondly, I have to defend CakePro. She wasn't being mean. She was giving a warning based on some threads that did get very ugly in the past. She was being a friend.

Thirdly, I'm not understanding this hostility to other decorators who are presumed to be competition, legal or not. If your next door neightbor is baking from their home "illegally" and you are "licensed", then that is their business and their problem. My experience has been that a good cake decorator usually never lacks for business, no matter how the competition advertises or promotes their business. It is wrong to nick-pick their cake quality or legality.

I think many people here have been scared into thinking they have to be legal to sell cakes to family and friends. That just isn't true. Thousands of goods are sold at street fairs, out of the backs of trucks, on quick stop counters and yes, from home bakers every day that are not "legal". If something happens, lawsuits, people getting sick, whatever, the law and the people deal with it. You choose the risk you are willing to take.

All this talk of ugly or plain cakes and legal versus illegal sounds like pure cattiness and jealousy. There is no place for it here. It is embarassing to me that fellow decorators could be so mean to other decorators.

Flame away if you wish. I just feel I need to defend the girls in the OP who may be unaware of what they are doing and should not be made into monsters.

PieceofCakeAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PieceofCakeAZ Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:36pm
post #43 of 109

Since this thread will be locked before I make it from my house to my shop... icon_smile.gif

I guess I am surprised that so many people are surprised about them advertising... I thought it was as common everywhere as it is in AZ. Heck, our "big" bridal show next month has 3 unlicensed cake companies exhibiting. It's pretty commonplace in AZ.

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:38pm
post #44 of 109

Yes, for me everything I wanted to do at 21 is completely different from what I'm doing now. Although I really wanted to sell noodles on a street corner one summer, I guess that's food related! Butterwench, I'd be ticked off if I were you too! A lot of hard work goes into perfecting recipes and coming up with new ideas. But I've read some of your previous posts and I bet you have some smokin' baked goods!

sweetcravings Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:40pm
post #45 of 109
Quote:

Sweetcravings, I hope that was't for me. I have a legal, registered and inspected bakery.

I'm not upset about these girls advertising, I'm upset that they read something in my blog and lifted the idea right out of there.

But in the long run, not overy upset because I have many, many irons in the fire.

I used my blog as a sort of sounding board and to get other's opinions. I'm happy that my idea was good enough for someone to lift, I've even seen people copy something on my cake designs and that's cool too.

I was just venting about this, and so was the OP.

Just because we vent about things that others don't agree with doesn't mean we are trying to rile things up.

This thread will remain cool, if you all stop getting your hackles up about off the cuff remarks. SORRY, SORRY, SORRY that I offended ANYONE about the age thing.

Guess what? I baked my first loaf of bread at 12, so don't preach to the choir. LOL!!!

I was addressing the original poster.
I myself only bake cakes/cookies for friends and family at the moment out of my home. Yet there is one or two 'home' bakers i've seen advertising online in town. When i see them advertise I choose not to get upset by it. It's their choice if they want to advertise. You can't get all worked up over it, what can you do about it really? Geesh, not long ago i started making cupcake cakes and bringing them in for my son's class for holidays. No one had ever seen them before. Not even a month later I started seeing Zehrs, Sobeys advertising CCC. So did they get the idea from someone who saw my CCC..who knows. Do i think i make nicer CCC? You bet! Again, i can't do anything about the competition, just go with the flow and hope my 'product' shines in comparision to theirs. So I guess overall i was just trying to say, focus on 'your product' and the orders will come. I wasn't trying to sound negative. JMO

suz

sweetcravings Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:43pm
post #46 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathysCC

Please everyone take a big breath.

First, it would be wrong to post the web site of those girls here. They will almost certainly get some bad emails or phone calls. Nothing productive will come of it. Those girls could be members here. The hostility is wrong.

Secondly, I have to defend CakePro. She wasn't being mean. She was giving a warning based on some threads that did get very ugly in the past. She was being a friend.

Thirdly, I'm not understanding this hostility to other decorators who are presumed to be competition, legal or not. If your next door neightbor is baking from their home "illegally" and you are "licensed", then that is their business and their problem. My experience has been that a good cake decorator usually never lacks for business, no matter how the competition advertises or promotes their business. It is wrong to nick-pick their cake quality or legality.

I think many people here have been scared into thinking they have to be legal to sell cakes to family and friends. That just isn't true. Thousands of goods are sold at street fairs, out of the backs of trucks, on quick stop counters and yes, from home bakers every day that are not "legal". If something happens, lawsuits, people getting sick, whatever, the law and the people deal with it. You choose the risk you are willing to take.

All this talk of ugly or plain cakes and legal versus illegal sounds like pure cattiness and jealousy. There is no place for it here. It is embarassing to me that fellow decorators could be so mean to other decorators.

Flame away if you wish. I just feel I need to defend the girls in the OP who may be unaware of what they are doing and should not be made into monsters.

Amen!!! thumbs_up.gif That's exactly what i was trying to say.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:44pm
post #47 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegWinn

Babarooskie wrote:
Well, first things firt.
...I don't see anything wrong with that...just my .2 cents.

CakePro wrote:
Honey, put on your flame-retardant full-body suit because if past threads are any indicator, you are about to get blasted.

Hey! Everybody hold your horses!! If you haven't followed past threads about this issue(Leagal vs. Not legal) then CakePro was JUST WARNING you that OTHER people get VERY passionate, emotional and critical about this issue...she is very right to warn you based on PAST THREADS. I suggest you look at them to give you context for her remark. I thought her words of warning were quite humorous. Plus she's from Texas for goodness sakes! Texans call everybody "Honey!."

MegWinn,

THANK YOU!! I was only posting a warning for Babarooski.

BABAROOSKI ~ I certainly didn't shoot a flaming arrow your way, so your defensiveness with ME is unwarranted. I merely tried warning you. I didn't even READ any of the last few licensed vs. unlicensed threads because I don't give a rats *** one way or the other...it's not my battle (but I did read about the aftermath). You could have been one of the primary combatants in those threads - I don't know - but if not, I was just trying to warn you.

And since this thread is clearly headed toward its inevitable crash and burn, I am bowing out.

If someone would be so kind as to click the little email button below and send me a link so I can see their cupcakes and website, I will be mighty grateful! icon_smile.gif

~ Sherri

TheButterWench Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:48pm
post #48 of 109

I agree, that's why I didn't post it and will not post it. lol

Also, my beef is that they may not only be under the radar but they are using Images from Sex in the City Movie to promote their products.

And I know most normal people would not have the resources to pay for the rights. Ok, well, I'm out.

Gotta get caffinated and moving. Today will be a late baking night to get my weekend orders out.

TTFN

Stay sweet!

rachelbradley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachelbradley Posted 1 May 2008 , 5:06pm
post #49 of 109

Just some FYI: After reading some of the absolutely appalling posts about the 'legality' issue. I did some research b/c like many I am sure, I had NO idea that there were laws against home baking and selling (I mean look at school bake sales!!!) Anyway, in my wonderful state...you can gross up to $5000 before having to cross one single hurdle! Since most of my cakes are friends and family... I am NOT concerned. Yes, I have a website, yes I have business cards. If, by God's grace I become absolutely fabulously famous I will open my bake shop LEGALLY! Until then I will charge less for my cakes than the 1 other bakery in town, I will continue to advertise, and I will continue until I reach the 'more than $5000' limit!!!

In addition, a word to those of you who can not control their tounges...(based on what I read in OTHER posts)
IMHO, you have every right to be upset about issues that you feel strongly about, however, it is cruel, vile, and absolutely disgusting how UGLY some of you "adults" can be! Last time I checked we were no longer in the 6th grade! I feel that you can really get a good judge of a persons character based on the way they speak, I have to say to some of those that we launching VIPER missles - SHAME on YOU!!!

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 1 May 2008 , 5:33pm
post #50 of 109

It's obvious these girls have latched onto you and want your ideas. I say stop posting them if it frustrates you. Make a statement on your blog about "an couple gals working together out of an unlicensed home kitchen in the same city I am located in have started to come here and are taking my ideas and incorporating them into their own business. I am not comfortable sharing publicly from this point on.". Start a new blog somewhere else if you feel you need it.

Now the copyright issue is a whole different can of worms as well. If they are caught using any SIC images for profit it's going to get ugly quick for them if the copyright owners go after them. They'll be paying off fees longer than they will be paying off their college tuitions. hehe

The potential for a double whammy there is HUGE if they are advertising all over town/internet where ever. It's their necks on the line though and you contacted them trying to help.

As for the girls copying ideas, we can never stop it nor control it in anything we do. I hate intentional copycats and it's not always the sincerest form of flattery in my eyes. (I have a sad/funny story from high school about being copied that I'll share if you all want a mood lifter in this thread let me know. LOL)

The upside to the girls doing this... what if they get an order for the items they copy from you and can't really make it or do it poorly (unless you posted recipes and how to's that they now have to go by) it's going to show and customers talk.

One thing I learned in business... Bad/shady doing's spread faster by word of mouth than good mass market advertising does. icon_wink.gif

As for the age thing, I see where you went with it. If they are doing the happy go lucky college thing and it was a decision like "we did this on a whim" then they'll be gone as fast as they appeared. Once they see how much work baking, decorating, and clean up is if they aren't passionate they will move on.

sassycleo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassycleo Posted 1 May 2008 , 5:46pm
post #51 of 109
Quote:
Quote:

As for the girls copying ideas, we can never stop it nor control it in anything we do. I hate intentional copycats and it's not always the sincerest form of flattery in my eyes. (I have a sad/funny story from high school about being copied that I'll share if you all want a mood lifter in this thread let me know. LOL)

I was actually getting ready to say the same thing. It's almost inevitable that an idea of someone is going to get copied somewhere along the line by someone else. If it didn't happen we would have imitation vanilla.... imitation gucci purse, fake swatch watches, cabbage patch kids and the list goes on and on.

If you don't want someone in your area presenting an idea before you do then why on earth would you even make the idea public blog or no blog?

Keep in mind it is very possible for two different sets of people to have the same ideas, even at the same time. It's not against the law or really going to affect your business if someone else is doing the same thing you are, if anything it's free advertising. They call so and so who said Oh i got this great product that person goes on the web to do a search and finds the girls and you. Who's to say that in the next town or two over another person isn't coming up with the same idea.

As far as the legal issue. Who cares, if your in a state like I am in order to sell anything at all you technically need to be a business. If the county catches you your fined, business license when you go to get one is held and you run the risk of jail time. So don't sweat it. Karma does indeed come back around. If your legal and they aren't don't sweat it, there are MORE than enough people who want cake. If your not legal and they aren't again dont sweat it, they are taking the risk by advertising - if someone gets sick off of their product they will learn.

So basically my soapbox moral is don't sweat it, don't worry about it - I'm sure you've got enough in life to keep focused on then to worry about what others are doing - and this is a general statement directed at anyone who wants to restart the legal vs non legal argument - lord knows we don't need another one of those threads going !

TheButterWench Posted 1 May 2008 , 9:06pm
post #52 of 109

LOL, because I was being a fool here I messed up on my cupcake order! lol

I was supposed to do yellow cupcakes with chocolate icing and I did chocolate cupcakes, which I will now make Peanut butter icing as my son asked me to make him Reeses flavored cupcakes.

Yep, I'm not going to sweat the small stuff, I'm just too darned busy and just made a vent because what the OP said hit a sore spot.

I can see that their market is not my market, but I will get my safari tranq guns out if they every cross my market. lol

well off to make peanut butter icing.

aswartzw Posted 1 May 2008 , 9:11pm
post #53 of 109
Quote:

LOL, because I was being a fool here I messed up on my cupcake order! lol

I was supposed to do yellow cupcakes with chocolate icing and I did chocolate cupcakes, which I will now make Peanut butter icing as my son asked me to make him Reeses flavored cupcakes.

ButterWench, where are you? I'll come over and help you finish those off! thumbs_up.gif

chutzpah Posted 1 May 2008 , 9:14pm
post #54 of 109

*pushes aswartz aside* ME ME!!!! peanut butter and chocolate cuppies!!!!

TheButterWench Posted 1 May 2008 , 9:18pm
post #55 of 109

Lol, that is the best combo ( sorry about highjack) ever, just covers all the food groups!

I'd really make his day if I can find mini ressess M & M thingies to put on top!

Chutzpah, love that photo!

oh yeah, I'm down in the armpit of the USA.

Flori-Duh

lol

chutzpah Posted 1 May 2008 , 9:20pm
post #56 of 109

OMG!!!! Do you know who my avatar is? *shocked*

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 1 May 2008 , 9:42pm
post #57 of 109

These threads always turn ugly...

Why do people worry about other people baking out of their home? If your good then the business will be there..
Is there not something more important to worry about these days?

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 1 May 2008 , 9:55pm
post #58 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutzpah

OMG!!!! Do you know who my avatar is? *shocked*

I was looking at your avatar the other day thinking it looked like a young Margaret Bruin...who is it?

chutzpah Posted 1 May 2008 , 9:58pm
post #59 of 109

It's that most great and entertaining southern lady and author, Florence King.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 May 2008 , 10:16pm
post #60 of 109

and on a lighter note..... icon_biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegWinn

What's the Beatles song?..."Live and Let Die."

Not a Beatles' song. Written by Paul McCartney and performed for the movie by Paul McCartney and Wings in 1973. The Beatles broke up in 1971.

Our household is a real Beatles fan club. My oldest daughter even got married on John Lennon's Birthday!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%