Tres Leches - Traditional Icing?

Baking By imartsy Updated 3 May 2008 , 11:30am by peanut123

imartsy Posted 1 May 2008 , 12:00am
post #1 of 11

Does Tres Leches cake have a traditional icing? Like buttercream or cream cheese or something else? I've never made one before and I've been asked to make one for a groom's cake for a wedding. Any tips would be great. I'm searching the forums for recipes and tips too, but any you leave here on this post would also be appreciated!

10 replies
peanut123 Posted 1 May 2008 , 10:49am
post #2 of 11

The âtraditionalâ topping for a Tres Leches cake is whipped cream.

Tres Leches is a âvery wetâ cake and presents lots of decorating challenges, including the need for refrigeration because of all of the dairy products.

Now, you can always pour a limited amount of â3-Milkâ mixture over a white cake and call it your version of Tres Leches and use whatever icing you are comfortable using.

Good luck.

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 1 May 2008 , 11:20am
post #3 of 11

When I make the Tres Leches, I use one container of whipping cream, 1/2 to 1 cup PS, and a splash of vanilla. Then I whip it until it is the right consistancy.

I've tried the Dream Whip stuff but did not cake for it nor the Cool Whip.

imartsy Posted 1 May 2008 , 12:08pm
post #4 of 11

Hmm I'm wondering if I can do this.... I was going to try to make either a beach with beer bottles on it..... which maybe I could do as a sheetcake (although I hate those things)....

Or I was going to try to make one of those cakes that looks like a bucket of beer... that one seems completely out. Either way, I'm wondering if I should tell them to pick a different flavor.... this is for a groom's cake for a friend......but she is going to pay me......

What do you all think? Is it really not the kind of cake you want to decorate or try to do anything with other than eat it?

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 1 May 2008 , 12:21pm
post #5 of 11

Well, from experience, the best thing to do with this cake is cover it with fruit. Altho the beach scene MIGHT work. If you use Graham crackers as your sand. if you have time you might wanna try it in advance.

TejasRebel Posted 1 May 2008 , 12:30pm
post #6 of 11

Have to share...

There's a place in Dallas called La Duni. Besides being a cafe, they're known for their cakes. We went there for lunch last Friday and had her award winning Cuatro Leches cake. Yummm... icon_eek.gif

She has a website that has the recipe for her wonderful cake. You might try the icing she uses!

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 1 May 2008 , 2:04pm
post #7 of 11

Holy Crow that sounds so good! As soon as it slows down I am going to have to try that!

TY Tejas!

TejasRebel Posted 1 May 2008 , 2:11pm
post #8 of 11

The caramel... OMG... it was SO GOOD thumbs_up.gif

peanut123 Posted 1 May 2008 , 2:26pm
post #9 of 11

Your customer wants Tres Lechesâ¦

You have basically three options with this cake:

1. Make the âtraditionalâ wet cake and decorate with one or more of whipped cream, fruit, cocoa powder, dulce de leche, and/or chocolate.

2. Reduce the amount of âliquidâ you add so that the cake remains stable and decorate it any way you want.

3. A combination of Options #1 and #2. Make the cake, lightly soak with liquid and cover with fondant or a buttercream and decorate as you had planned. Thenâ¦when the cake is served, remove the fondant/buttercream, put the cake in a small bowl and drench with a pre-make mixture of 3-milks, and then put whipped cream, dulce de leche and a piece of fruit on top.

If you can manage the logistics of option #3, your cake will be the talk of the reception. icon_smile.gif

Have fun!

imartsy Posted 3 May 2008 , 1:33am
post #10 of 11

Is there another traditional "Mexican" type cake? The groom that I'm making the cake for is Mexican... I'm wondering if I could offer some other flavor that's still semi-traditional for him....

peanut123 Posted 3 May 2008 , 11:30am
post #11 of 11

You can do a lot with chocolate. After all, it is an invention of the Maya and Aztecs from the region what we now call Mexico.

The Tres Leches Cake owes its start to manufacturers of evaporated and condensed milk from Europe and the USA.

Quote by @%username% on %date%