Can You Luster Dust Cookies?

Decorating By arosstx Updated 5 May 2008 , 7:32am by amastercreation

arosstx Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 11:47pm
post #1 of 9

Dumb question probably, but can I spray luster dust mixed w/ lemon extract through my airbrush and onto iced and decorated cookies?

I just finished the last of 200 tuxedo cookies for my daughter's senior prom and thought I'd hit them w/ a little LD for sparkle. I DO NOT want them to bleed so I figured I'd better ask first.

Thanks to anyone that can help me w/ this.

8 replies
arosstx Posted 1 May 2008 , 12:38am
post #2 of 9

Does anybody know the answer? Pleeeeeeeeeeez.... icon_cry.gif

TexasSugar Posted 1 May 2008 , 2:44am
post #3 of 9

I haven't done the lemon extract, but I do mix luster dust with everclear and have sprayed it on cakes. The everclear practically dries before it hits the cake.

You can always try one, just make sure you have the mixture really thin and don't hold your airbrush too close.

TooMuchCake Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:03am
post #4 of 9

I've done it often with both lemon extract or Everclear when I have it. Works great. I decorate my cookies in thinned royal icing and then paint them when it's thoroughly dry.

arosstx Posted 1 May 2008 , 1:36pm
post #5 of 9

Ok, well then I am going to sacrifice one for the cause and see how it turns out. Wish me luck, and thanks for the replies! icon_smile.gif

amastercreation Posted 1 May 2008 , 5:05pm
post #6 of 9

Did it work? I'm curious to try it myself...let us know icon_smile.gif

TooMuchCake Posted 1 May 2008 , 7:56pm
post #7 of 9

Here's some I did with metallic silver luster over royal icing.

arosstx Posted 4 May 2008 , 7:42pm
post #8 of 9

The answer? Yes! i sacrificed one to see what would happen, and it turned out just fine. I just wish my picture would've turned out better. The flash catches the sparkle and makes them a LOT sparklier than they really are.

amastercreation Posted 5 May 2008 , 7:32am
post #9 of 9

they turned out great! how did you mix it up.

now i have to figure out what to ask for for mother's day . . . an airbrush system or a trip to the spa... icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%