Freezing Fondant Covered Cakes??? Asap Help

Decorating By doublecz1103 Updated 1 May 2008 , 1:32am by beachcakes

doublecz1103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doublecz1103 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 11:27pm
post #1 of 3

I have a HUGE question... i'm doing a mad hatter cake... for the first time!! and i have all my layers already frozen in a freezer. i want to stack and ice them tonight and "possibly" cover them with fondant tonight.. which i've never used before!! ah! i just wanted to know once the fondant is on the cake and i've decorated accents.. how can i store it?? should i freeze it or refrig?? or out in the open?? i'm so lost!! i need to keep have it for friday.. i'm just concerned about what will happen to the fondant... oh i forgot to mention.. i'm using MMF and buttercream icing!

2 replies
summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 1 May 2008 , 12:37am
post #2 of 3

You can try to. I did it once, and it worked fine. I wrapped mine in foil and then in plastic.
The best piece of advice is DO NOT TOUCH the cake until it is completely thawed. No matter what you are thinking, or if you want to check on it or whatever, DO NOT TOUCH IT! The condensation that collects on the wrappings will drip onto the fondant and cause spots.
good luck!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 1 May 2008 , 1:32am
post #3 of 3

Some fondant can be frozen - FondX for one. But since the cakes were already frozen I wouldn't refreeze.

It'll be fine for two days. You wouldn't need to refrigerate unless you're using a perishablle filling.

And summernoelle's right - if you refrigerate/freeze fondant, don't touch 'til it's dry!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%