My First Gumpaste Rose

Decorating By pjaycakes Updated 1 May 2008 , 9:57pm by projectqueen

pjaycakes Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 11:27pm
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone - Here is my first self taught gumpaste rose. After watching what seemed like a million DVDs and Youtube videos I finally attempted it. I didn't have any petal dust except black so I brushed it with mauve luster dust.

I would appreciate any constructive critism. Thanks
LL

6 replies
JoAnnB Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 11:30pm
post #2 of 7

Very good start. I notice there is some cracking on the edge of the petals. You can help this by adding some shortening to your gumpaste.

Pull off a small piece that you will use to start your petals, then dab a finger into some shortening and knead it into the gumpaste. You want to add moisture but not make it gooey or greasy.

This will help the gp remain more pliable with less cracking. If you over do it, and find the petals are a bit soft, turn your flower upside down while the petal hardens.

superstar Posted 1 May 2008 , 1:23am
post #3 of 7

Good job on your first, I agree with JoAnnB & remember, practice makes perfect.

pjaycakes Posted 1 May 2008 , 1:27am
post #4 of 7

Thank you for your comments. Besides not having enough shortening I think I may have made the edges to thin. I wasn't sure how to thin to make them so I just kept ruffling them.

projectqueen Posted 1 May 2008 , 6:13pm
post #5 of 7

Great job! thumbs_up.gif

My first rose looked like a cabbage, and I don't mean a cabbage rose icon_cry.gif

Keep up the good work!

SweetTater Posted 1 May 2008 , 6:44pm
post #6 of 7

Beautiful Rose!

Question: I am also using gumpaste for the first time...I'm making a "1" to go on top of my daughter's first birtday cake - hopefully easier than your rose!! My question is about using the luster dust. Do I just brush it on or sprinkle it on? Do I need to use any water? Thanks!

projectqueen Posted 1 May 2008 , 9:57pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetTater

Beautiful Rose!

Question: I am also using gumpaste for the first time...I'm making a "1" to go on top of my daughter's first birtday cake - hopefully easier than your rose!! My question is about using the . Do I just brush it on or sprinkle it on? Do I need to use any water? Thanks!

You can either brush it on dry (you don't need very much, think of it like brushing on blush to your cheeks, same principle) OR you can mix it in a little dish with some vodka or lemon extract and brush it on as a paint. If you do mix it with vodka or lemon extract, start with just a couple of drops (I pour some into the cap and then into a small dish) and just a little dust and take it from there. The alcohol will evaporate quickly. You might have to do a couple of light coats to get the look you are going for.

Don't mix it with water-- water+gumpaste= sticky gooey mess!

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%