Help Please!

Decorating By kels_bells Updated 3 May 2008 , 10:39pm by terri76

kels_bells Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 11:02pm
post #1 of 10

I had a costomer email me this plate that will be her theme for her daughters1st B-day. She would like me to replicate the design on a cake so I'm still waiting on the serving size she needs. Replicateing should be ok except she wants real cake blocks? how should I charge her for that? By the blcok? or a flat rate for cake and blocks together. I'm also to add the daughters name. OLIVIA so that would be 19 blocks. TIA

9 replies
JoAnnB Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 11:18pm
post #2 of 10

The smaller the cake the more difficult it is to cover. Those blocks will take a lot of work, so charge more.

MissMoore Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:00am
post #3 of 10

I'd figure the cost by how long it takes you to make a block.

kels_bells Posted 3 May 2008 , 6:49pm
post #4 of 10

So this is what I came up with for the design to pull in the plate.The stars and number one will be on wires also with squares. I will be making the blocks to start on the top tier with HAPPY then BIRTHDAY on 2nd OLIVIA on bottom. I'll try to make the colors as close to the plate as possible. They will be a 10" and 6" cakes covered in fondant. What do you think I should charge and what do you all think of this design? Sorry first time using program so not the best. icon_biggrin.gif

kels_bells Posted 3 May 2008 , 8:54pm
post #5 of 10

bashini Posted 3 May 2008 , 9:10pm
post #6 of 10

I think it looks great. But really sorry I don't know about the prices. I'm sure another member could help you out with that.

kansaswolf Posted 3 May 2008 , 9:18pm
post #7 of 10

Wow, that'll be one cool looking cake!

I would think you'd charge by the serving like any regular cake... OR charge per serving for the large cake, then charge a higher serving price per block, perhaps like a cupcake, if not more! I think I'd charge more for the cake blocks, since those can be a bear to cover (I made blocks for my DD's 2nd birthday last year, and it was quite a bit of work!). They're fun to do (IMO), but a lot of work! Good luck!

Speaking of my DD's cake, if you look at my pictures, I used only three blocks for her name, Raylee. I put the blocks so that one corner was facing the front, so the letters alternated between the colored letters and the "woodburned" letters on the sides of the blocks... I got lots of comments on the technique, and it would save you from making so many blocks! Just a thought, since OLIVIA has six letters as well...

Amia Posted 3 May 2008 , 9:22pm
post #8 of 10

Love the design! Very cute! Did you use paint? That's what I use and that's how my designs look.

As for price, charge a per serving rate for the cake (whatever you would normally charge) and then charge separately for the blocks. Those blocks are going to take forever, so charge for your time!! That's 38 servings, right (according to Earlene's chart anyway icon_smile.gif)? I don't charge for my own cakes (other than ingredients) so I wouldn't know how to price the blocks. I'd pay no more than $2/block myself, but that's me and I live in a fairly cheap area. I know that wasn't much help!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 3 May 2008 , 9:23pm
post #9 of 10

Your design looks great! Depending on the size of the blocks and her needs, maybe each block can be one serving and you can just charge accordingly, but I do agree with one of the pp's that it's more work, so if you wanted to charge extra, that's perfectly okay too.

Just so you know, I don't have a business, this is just MHO.

terri76 Posted 3 May 2008 , 10:39pm
post #10 of 10

Very cute!!! I love the design. What program do you use to draw out your cake design? I've been trying to find one and I don't even know where to begin to look. icon_confused.gif

As far as the price...? I don't have a clue. People fuss at me b/c I'm a pushover when it comes to telling someone a price of a cake. I had 7 cakes this week and every single one I charged less than what I have on my price sheet. So I'm no help there, but I do love your design. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%