Sugarshacks Successful Stacking Dvd

Decorating By Melony Updated 25 May 2008 , 4:27pm by MommaLlama

Melony Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 10:58pm
post #1 of 37

Woo Hoo!!!....I received my "Successful Stacking" DVD today!!...I can't wait to watch it tonight after I put the kids to bed. It arrived just in time to help me with my husband's 40th birthday cake next week.

36 replies
bobwonderbuns Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 11:06pm
post #2 of 37

I got mine today too!! icon_biggrin.gif Can't wait to watch it!! icon_lol.gif

tdybear1978 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 11:14pm
post #3 of 37

i got mine today too, I am so excited

vteventrider Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 11:17pm
post #4 of 37

I haven't checked the mail yet. I hope I got it! I can't wait to watch it!

bobwonderbuns Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 11:28pm
post #5 of 37

So many cake videos, so little time... icon_rolleyes.gif

ShopGrl1128 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 11:45pm
post #6 of 37

Mine is on the way...I can't wait!

sugarshack Posted 1 May 2008 , 12:54pm
post #7 of 37

i sure hope you guys like it!

tdybear1978 Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:25pm
post #8 of 37

Okay, I watched mine last night - and thought it was very interesting. Has anyone else tried this stacking method? I have always used the hidden plates that snap into the legs that are pushed into the cakes - I am just wondering if sugarshack's method is better/more stable then this. I really want to try it as I have many many weddings coming up this summer but I guess that I am a little scared to try something new on somone else's wedding cake. Just curious if anyone has used maybe both of these methods and have one that they prefer. thanks BY THE WAY sharon, your cakes are absolutely AMAZING. I think that you need to do an instructional dvd on how to do a topsy turvy cake, I hate those cakes and they are so popular icon_smile.gif

ibmoser Posted 1 May 2008 , 5:46pm
post #9 of 37

Mine just arrived icon_lol.gif . Can't wait to watch it. Thanks, Sharon thumbs_up.gif

sugarshack Posted 1 May 2008 , 6:54pm
post #10 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdybear1978

Okay, I watched mine last night - and thought it was very interesting. Has anyone else tried this stacking method? I have always used the hidden plates that snap into the legs that are pushed into the cakes - I am just wondering if sugarshack's method is better/more stable then this. I really want to try it as I have many many weddings coming up this summer but I guess that I am a little scared to try something new on somone else's wedding cake. Just curious if anyone has used maybe both of these methods and have one that they prefer. thanks BY THE WAY sharon, your cakes are absolutely AMAZING. I think that you need to do an instructional dvd on how to do a topsy turvy cake, I hate those cakes and they are so popular icon_smile.gif

Hi Bear, I am glad you liked it. I have never used the plates and pillar system for large wedding cakes, so I cannot give you a comparison. But I can tell you that all the same techniques I showed in the DVD can be applied to that system of stacking if you desire to stick with that.

As far as the other question, this method of stacking has been very sturdy for me with no failures. ( knock on wood.) Just be SURE you have enough dowels (straws) and they are all level.

Please let me know if you have any further qauestions. And thank you.

Edited to add: the principles shown in the DVD can be used (with slight modifications) if using plates and pillars, stress free rings, cardboards and dowels, etc....

thanks.

Melony Posted 2 May 2008 , 5:03pm
post #11 of 37

Ok, I finally got to sit down and watch it last night. I thought it was great. As ususal Sharon gave very clear step by step instructions that even a newbie like myself could understand. I can't wait to use her method on my husband's 40th birthday cake. I'm definitely feeling a little more confident about it now.

Thank's again Sharon for putting together another wonderful DVD!! I can't wait to see what you'll put out next!! I have to agree with tdybear1978, I would love to see a "How To" on Topsy Turvy cakes.

Melony

Yomomma Posted 2 May 2008 , 5:46pm
post #12 of 37

I ordered mine a couple of days ago and can't hardly wait to receive it. I wanted the fondant one too but didn't allow myself.

sugarshack Posted 2 May 2008 , 5:50pm
post #13 of 37

Thank you Melony, you are a sweetie to say such nice things!

ShopGrl1128 Posted 2 May 2008 , 6:35pm
post #14 of 37

I got mine yesterday...and I watched twice...and took notes...

Same as the 'buttercream' one...an eye opener!

I've learned so much already!

THANK YOU SHARON!!! YOU ROCK!!!!

pjaycakes Posted 3 May 2008 , 11:46am
post #15 of 37

I watched mine last night. It was fantastic. Thanks Sharon.

I learned so much. I can see there being a shortage of bubble tea straws soon. icon_biggrin.gif I'm off to get some today.

Yomomma Posted 5 May 2008 , 2:46pm
post #16 of 37

Got mine! Excellent, excellent! Now I surely want all her other DVDs so I put my request in for Mother's Day. As fast as shipping was, it's possible!

bobwonderbuns Posted 5 May 2008 , 4:53pm
post #17 of 37

Okay I finally got to watch mine yesterday (yippeeee!!) icon_lol.gif Now I do have a question -- if you were using the dowels as opposed to the straws, would you do the same "sinking" technique on the lower tiers? (If this was addressed in the video I missed it...) icon_rolleyes.gif

sugarshack Posted 5 May 2008 , 6:00pm
post #18 of 37

yes, Bob you can use that technique with plates and pillars, stress frees, dowels, etc...

Thank you all! SO glad you like it!

plbennett_8 Posted 5 May 2008 , 8:21pm
post #19 of 37

Wooo Hooo!

Finally got to watch mine this weekend, and I just love it!. thumbs_up.gif The different ways to prepare the boards is just great. I am using the hidden board for fondant cakes method on my biggest cake yet this weekend. I'm not nearly as nervous as I was just a few days ago, and it's really going to enhance the look of my cake. icon_biggrin.gif

You are making us look better and better every day!

Thanks Sharon! birthday.gif
Pat

cakecastle Posted 5 May 2008 , 8:52pm
post #20 of 37

I am asking for this as a Mother's day gift, let's hope dh takes the hint icon_wink.gif and doesn't get something I don't really want instead icon_redface.gif

Sharon-I loved your buttercream dvd, I don't do fondant so I didn't get that one (although I would like to have a complete set icon_biggrin.gif ) and I'm just dying to have this one. If dh doesn't get it for me, then I'm definately ordering as soon as I get some money for myself (hard to do with 6 kids, lol). I just want to thank you for offering all of your expertice. You are truly a blessing!

YALANTZI Posted 6 May 2008 , 10:10am
post #21 of 37

Where do you buy the Bubble tea straws?

ps3884 Posted 6 May 2008 , 10:51am
post #22 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by YALANTZI

Where do you buy the Bubble tea straws?

I just did a quick search on-line (never heard of bubble tea straws before icon_confused.gif ) and found these sites:

http://www.bubbleteasupply.com/store/store.php3?item_id=2

http://www.tentea.com/jumbubteastr.html

http://www.bubbleteastore.com/bubbleteastore_accessories.shtml

http://www.bobateadirect.com/product.php?productid=418&cat=0

http://www.bobateadirect.com/Bag-of-Large-Straws-for-Bubble-Tea-Individually-Wrapped-pr-900.html

I've also asked for all of the DVD's for Mother's Day - keeping my fingers crossed. icon_biggrin.gif

gingersoave Posted 6 May 2008 , 11:25am
post #23 of 37

Just a quick question to Sharon, would any sturdy straws work, like the McDonald's or Wendy's? Quite a few of my students use just straws and so far no issues. I use lollipop sticks b/c I can break them, no cutting involved. Again, love the DVD's, I have them all! I need to take notes b/c I forget when I'm in the kitchen, you have SO many tips!!!!

Thanks again! You're awesome!

ginger

sugarshack Posted 6 May 2008 , 12:44pm
post #24 of 37

Thanks evryone!

Ginger I have never used any other kind of straw, so I don't want to give any bad advice I can't attest to personally. I just know I feel very safe with the wide diameter of the bubble straws.

And I thank you from the bottom of my heart for all your kind words!

HTH!

sweetideas Posted 6 May 2008 , 1:04pm
post #25 of 37

Hi, I thought I read once that there was a discount for CC members? If so, how do we use it? I am asking for these for Mother's Day from my husband. I can't wait, you all are always so excited about them and I can't wait to see my first "improved" cake! icon_smile.gif If they work, I might buy a set for my sister, and some friends, too. TIA.

sugarshack Posted 7 May 2008 , 11:27pm
post #26 of 37

Sorry, but no, unfortuntely there is no discount at this time. (They are priced pretty rock bottom now.)

Thanks!

bobwonderbuns Posted 7 May 2008 , 11:30pm
post #27 of 37

So what's your next venture Sugarshack?? Gumpaste flowers? Shoe box cakes?

Price Posted 7 May 2008 , 11:48pm
post #28 of 37

I also have all 3 DVDs and love them all! I highly recommend them. I'm making my neice's wedding cake in June. It will be my first wedding cake, so the DVD came out just in time. I have about an hour drive and some of the roads are pretty twisty, so I need something very, very sturdy! I've watched the Stacking DVD a couple of times and will probably watch it again before I do the cake! Thanks Sharon! Oh, and I would love to see a DVD for you package cakes and any other goodies you might be able to come up with! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Jean

gingersoave Posted 8 May 2008 , 11:21am
post #29 of 37

Oh Sharon, how about gumpaste flowers like bobwonderbuns mentioned! I just bought the lovely Wilton gumpaste pastel GP tools and they look so fun except that I have no clue how to use them!!!!

Packaging cakes sounds good too, all my family lives in florida! Also fondant figures, I can always use help there!

Quick question, on your beach ball cake (lovely, lovely, lovely) how did you get your ball SO ROUND??? My balls always go flat on the bottom. Sometimes I will mold chocolate in the bottom of the ball pan and then set the cake in the mold and then cover it with fondant so that it can't go flat. I'm sure you have a much easier way of doing it.

Anywho, as you can see we are all anxious for your next creation!!!!

ginger

wgoat5 Posted 8 May 2008 , 11:29am
post #30 of 37

I just wanted to say... For the first time I flash freezed the top tier of my cakes yesterday.. and they stacked wonderfully.. I wasn't NEARLY as scared to pick up that cake to put it on the bigger one!!! Thanks Sharon for such great videos!!!!

icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%