Swiss Meringue Buttercream

Decorating By andrea7 Updated 1 May 2008 , 3:12pm by icer101

andrea7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andrea7 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 9:55pm
post #1 of 5

Any of you out there have problems coloring smb. I use Ameri colors for coloring, which works well. My problem is when I put a second coat of any colored buttercream two different colors appear. A darker and lighter color.

Last weekend I experimented with yellow buttercream. I let the color mix 20 minutes. Several times I scraped the bowl down. I refridgerate the cake after the first coat about 5 minutes then reice with a second coat to make sure there is no transparantcy.Usually I make a third coat and try to keep as much of the coat on so you can't see the two colors. What the heck am I doing wrong?
Andrea

4 replies
jessienj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessienj Posted 1 May 2008 , 2:17pm
post #2 of 5

I don't know what the problem could be, but why not skip all those coats and just do one, maybe using the Wilton Icer Tip? It comes out thick enough that all you have to do is smooth the seams and you're done.

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 1 May 2008 , 2:33pm
post #3 of 5

Try letting your colored BC set over night before using. That way, the colors set and you shouldn't have any problems with it continuing to deepen as you ice. It could also just be changing colors as it dries so it seems as if is mutli-shaded. Do the shades show through when you cut into the cake?

andrea7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andrea7 Posted 1 May 2008 , 2:58pm
post #4 of 5

My icing is so transparent, you have to do multiple coats. To get my perfect edges one coat would not work and you'd see the cake through the icing. I could make the color ahead. I'll try that next. Thanks for the tips.
Andrea

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 1 May 2008 , 3:12pm
post #5 of 5

on dyannbakes.com, she tells you to use paste colors, no other.....it is under , i think nov. 2006 on her site. check it out. it is a video where she is showing how she makes it. hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%