Shinny Black Fondant

Decorating By grama_j Updated 1 May 2008 , 1:11pm by jessieb578

grama_j Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 8:20pm
post #1 of 14

The other day someone told us how they got black fondant shinny..... I lost it !! I think they painted something on it..... not pearl dust, but something liquid ??? Please help.... I need to do this !

13 replies
jessieb578 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 8:25pm
post #2 of 14

Did you mean shiney?? Well, I did shiney patent leather shoes by painting black food coloring on top of fondant. It came out very shiney!

FromScratch Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 8:26pm
post #3 of 14

You can use confectioner's glaze to make it shiney. icon_smile.gif

TaylorMadeSweetz Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 8:31pm
post #4 of 14

You can use steam too. I seen it on Food network one time during a cake challenge and I also seen it done during a demo at my guild club meeting. I haven't tried it yet, but I plan to.

grama_j Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 8:31pm
post #5 of 14

It was the conectioners glaze ! Can you tell me what that is, or how to do it ?

grama_j Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 8:33pm
post #6 of 14

Jessie..... was that just the plain gel color, or did you do something with it ?

kansaswolf Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 8:36pm
post #7 of 14

I use my wilton icing colors mixed with vodka, and painted on. I have a penguin and a killer whale in my pictures that were both done this way. Both are pretty shiny!

HBcakes Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 8:37pm
post #8 of 14

I'd like to get this info too- I need to make some black gumpaste shiny for a Jeep Wrangler cake. It should be the same technique for gp as fondant, right?

grama_j Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 8:48pm
post #9 of 14

Oh Wolf..... they look really neat ! Did they dry okay, and still stay shiney, or did they stay sticky ?

FromScratch Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 8:50pm
post #10 of 14

Confectioner's glaze is something you can buy. I'm sure you can make it too, though I haven't done it myself. You can buy it in a spray can like this:

or in a bottle like this:

kansaswolf Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 9:26pm
post #11 of 14

Nope, they dried just fine! I also painted the tires on the little ATV cake that way... No problems with stickiness, since the alcohol evaporates quickly! icon_biggrin.gif

Also, I should point out that all my painting was done on WHITE fondant, so you probably wouldn't need as much color as I did, if you're painting on top of fondant that's already black... Good luck!

cakehelp Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 9:30pm
post #12 of 14

I think that black fondant looks really shiney if you put it on a piece of plastic wrap (I don't know what you call it, ceran wrap mabye?) and roll it out without any corn flour. I just use a non-stick rolling pin and roll it out on the plastic, then lift the whole thing up, turn it over in my hand or on my arm depending on the size, peel of the plastic on the back and then place it on the cake. The bottom side that was against the plastic needs to be the side attached to the cake because it will have wrinkles from the plastic.

I did just like this with the black fondant on a pirate cake just a week ago. The cake was assembled the day before, and the picure taken the day after. As you (mabye) can see from the picture, the black is still shiney and has not dried up at all.

grama_j Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 10:09pm
post #13 of 14

Jeanne..... that spray looks like the way to go, but I can't afford the 30.00.......... Sounds like the vodka is the going to be solution....
Thanks everyone !!

jessieb578 Posted 1 May 2008 , 1:11pm
post #14 of 14

I just used the regular gel color mixed with a tiny bit of vodka to paint it and it came out very shiney. It was super easy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%