Help A Newbie Out With Name/logo Idea

Business By cakeryluv Updated 1 May 2008 , 3:29pm by cupcakemkr

cakeryluv Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 7:40pm
post #1 of 20

I've spent a long time fighting the cake decorating bug, but it just won't stop biting...when I started to dream about it nearly every night, I knew it was time!

So, I'm working on getting legal, but I'd like to know what your expert thoughts are on my name and logo. Honest opinions please...I'm in a super-tiny town right now, but I have lots of large cities around me, so I wanted to give it an upscale, yet cute, appearance. Since I trust your opinions so much, I'd love to know what you all think!

My name would be The Gourmet Cakery (gourmetcakery.com...a major work in progress yet!) and my logo is below. DBF seems to think the cake portion is too "sloppy" looking, but I was going for a fun more graphic style, not realism. One is a more horizonal effect (mostly for web use) and the more vertical version I would use as my main logo. Any input is appreciated!
LL
LL

19 replies
TaylorMadeSweetz Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 8:48pm
post #2 of 20

I love it! It attracted me! I love eye catching things and that is eye catching! Love the name. I'm having a hard time trying to find a good catching name & logo myself.

Solecito Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 9:13pm
post #3 of 20

Your logo and and name are very nice.

cakeryluv Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 9:13pm
post #4 of 20

Thank you! I've struggled for well over a year debating on whether to specialize in gourmet fancy cupcakes or cakes in general and realized cakes are probably easier to sell to a wider audience.

I've been working on a business name for just as long, and happened to think of this one just yesterday. Luck was on my side when the web domain was also available so I thought it must be fate! icon_smile.gif

Solecito Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 9:28pm
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeryluv

I've struggled for well over a year debating on whether to specialize in gourmet fancy cupcakes or cakes in general

Why not both? I do anything that I can sell, cakes, cup[cakes, cookies, desserts.

cakeryluv Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 9:51pm
post #6 of 20

Oh, yes, I'll still do cupcakes if they want them. When I was first considering going into business, I was only going to focus on specialty cupcakes. icon_smile.gif

cakeryluv Posted 1 May 2008 , 1:21pm
post #7 of 20

Ok, so I showed my logo and name around to friends, family and some co-workers and I'm getting mixed reviews... anyone else have any input for me?

cupcakemkr Posted 1 May 2008 , 1:35pm
post #8 of 20

Really like the overall concept of your logo, but think that the 2nd layer of the cake should be on top of the 1st not behind so that it looks more stacked.

Good luck with your venture!

dbmiller02 Posted 1 May 2008 , 1:35pm
post #9 of 20

I like the name. I tend to agree with your DBF that the cake portion is a little overly modern. I like the hearts on it, but they actually take away from the fact that there is a cake under there. I am a bit more traditional in my thinking so that is the angle of where I am coming from. I think it is great that you have some larger towns near you, but are they urban areas with a hip population or more traditional but larger? Knowing those demographics might impact your decision. I wish you all the success in the world!!

wendalynn11 Posted 1 May 2008 , 1:38pm
post #10 of 20

I really like it, love the whimsical cake idea, fun yet still sophisticated.

lovetofrost Posted 1 May 2008 , 1:42pm
post #11 of 20

I think the color scheme is very cute and modern. I think it would look better if you did cakery the same as the rest of the wording. and on your vertical the letters KE stand out more than the rest and looks a little confusing. I agree with the other post about the second layer of the cake. I really think the hearts are cute, but maybe tone them down a little to go with the the cake a little more. I really like the colors though. good job and good luck.

cakeryluv Posted 1 May 2008 , 1:47pm
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakemkr

Really like the overall concept of your logo, but think that the 2nd layer of the cake should be on top of the 1st not behind so that it looks more stacked.

Good luck with your venture!

Ah, I see what you're saying! I'll fix that! And THANKS! icon_smile.gif

marthajo1 Posted 1 May 2008 , 1:49pm
post #13 of 20

I like the colors cause they are different with the lovely orange-y color! They catch your eye.

However I think that the "CAKERY" is hard to read. Mainly cause of the up-set letters in the big logo. On my first glance I thought it said cookery. The other thing might be all the flourishes mixed with the caps. If it was me I would do first letter cap only.

Here is why I think this-
There is something amazing that happens in our brains when we look at words. Basically we look at a the first, middle and last letters and our brains take over and with the shape of the word read it! So all caps really throw your brain off.

(That is one reason it so annoying to read a post where someone is yelling in all caps icon_lol.gif )

cakeryluv Posted 1 May 2008 , 2:02pm
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmiller02

I like the name. I tend to agree with your DBF that the cake portion is a little overly modern. I like the hearts on it, but they actually take away from the fact that there is a cake under there. I am a bit more traditional in my thinking so that is the angle of where I am coming from. I think it is great that you have some larger towns near you, but are they urban areas with a hip population or more traditional but larger? Knowing those demographics might impact your decision. I wish you all the success in the world!!

We have a mix actually...it really depends on the part of town you're in, which is funny. It's a strange area. I'm not too concerned the larger cities won't "get" it, but if my only business was my unincorporated town of under 300 (who are mostly over the age of 60) I might change it.

I'll play with the hearts too, and see what I come up with! icon_smile.gif

KASCARLETT Posted 1 May 2008 , 2:11pm
post #15 of 20

I really like the colors and the general concept of it. Like others, I think the hearts needs to be toned down and bit and the word Cakery should be first letter cap and the rest small letters like the other words and I would do the word Cakery in a straight line vs how it is done now because the K and E look out of place.

Another option would be to put each word The, Gourmet and Cakery on each layer of the cake, maybe with the hearts above it.

jnoel Posted 1 May 2008 , 2:12pm
post #16 of 20

Very cute. Love the colors. I agree with some of the other things that were said. The "KA" jumped out at me too, and I would do lower case to make Cakery easier to read.

The only thing I had to add, was to keep in mind all the ways you might use the logo other than color printing and web. For instance, think about how it would translate into a black and white version (for newspaper ads, but also if you want to print up a bunch of b&w handouts or flyers). And if you are going to have anything embroidered with the logo (aprons, shirts, etc.) that's a LOT of colors of thread to try to make look good. And signage is another issue that may not translate exactly to the right colors and end up looking muddy with the lettering on top of the cake.

I really do like your colors a lot, I just wanted to make sure you thought about the hiccups you might (or might not) face down the road with using so many different colors.

KASCARLETT Posted 1 May 2008 , 2:14pm
post #17 of 20

That's a good point jnoel!

cakeryluv Posted 1 May 2008 , 2:19pm
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by KASCARLETT

I really like the colors and the general concept of it. Like others, I think the hearts needs to be toned down and bit and the word Cakery should be first letter cap and the rest small letters like the other words and I would do the word Cakery in a straight line vs how it is done now because the K and E look out of place.

Another option would be to put each word The, Gourmet and Cakery on each layer of the cake, maybe with the hearts above it.

That was similar to DBF's suggestion! I'll take CAKERY to Cakery and see how it looks too.

You guys are AWESOME!!!!!!!!

cakeryluv Posted 1 May 2008 , 2:21pm
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnoel

Very cute. Love the colors. I agree with some of the other things that were said. The "KA" jumped out at me too, and I would do lower case to make Cakery easier to read.

The only thing I had to add, was to keep in mind all the ways you might use the logo other than color printing and web. For instance, think about how it would translate into a black and white version (for newspaper ads, but also if you want to print up a bunch of b&w handouts or flyers). And if you are going to have anything embroidered with the logo (aprons, shirts, etc.) that's a LOT of colors of thread to try to make look good. And signage is another issue that may not translate exactly to the right colors and end up looking muddy with the lettering on top of the cake.

I really do like your colors a lot, I just wanted to make sure you thought about the hiccups you might (or might not) face down the road with using so many different colors.

Wonderful suggestions! I converted it to B&W and it does get a little funky, so I'll play with that too.

cupcakemkr Posted 1 May 2008 , 3:29pm
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnoel

And if you are going to have anything embroidered with the logo (aprons, shirts, etc.) that's a LOT of colors of thread to try to make look good. And signage is another issue that may not translate exactly to the right colors and end up looking muddy with the lettering on top of the cake.

Another thing to consider - when you do get to the point where you are using your logo on signs, ads, PR material (pens, cups, t-shirts), and aprons the more colors you have the more expensive it is to print it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%