Newbie! Where Do I Even Begin?

Decorating By razzledazzle06 Updated 1 May 2008 , 6:52am by psanders76

razzledazzle06 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 7:33pm
post #1 of 6

Can someone please help me? I have been "lurking" on this site for the past 2 months and I am AMAZED!! I want to learn how to make 3-tiered cakes with butter cream icing and fondant accents. My question is...where do I even begin? Do I need to buy a book? Take a class (if so-which one), what supplies do I need? I want to learn SO bad!! Please tell me what I need to know. You all are awesome and I admire your work!

5 replies
HerBoudoir Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 8:03pm
post #2 of 6

Hi LeAnn, and welcome!

Well..."instruction helps!" I'm a great baker, and I've only recently gotten more into learning to decorate. I'm a "hands-on" kind of person - I prefer taking classes where someone is teaching me while I do, if that makes sense.

I would say tackle some of the fundamentals first - find a few cake recipes (either scratch or box or doctored box) that you like. Learn to torte, fill, and frost smoothly with buttercream. There are a couple of different cake decorating books that have good recipes and clear step by step instructions (with pictures) about how to get started. Toba Garrett's "The Well Decorated Cake" is a great place to start - for a $15 book, it's a bargain considering how much information is in there (just don't get too intimidated by the stuff further on in the book!).

The Cake Bible is a little more expensive of a book, but totally invaluable as far as recipes for scratch cakes, frostings, and fillings. EVERYTHING is in there icon_smile.gif

You can also look around for Wilton classes local to you. They're relatively inexpensive, and you're right there doing things. The lessons themselves are cheap; most of what it costs is in supplies that you keep. The classes will walk you through a lot of basic techniques - buttercream piping, royal icing flowers, covering a caking in fondant, making a tiered or stacked cake, etc.

grama_j Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 8:14pm
post #3 of 6

Hi Le Ann..... I too would recommend a couple of classes if you can do it.... but there are DVDs and books galore...... check e-bay for a good price, and of course , if you have a specific question, just ask on here, or PM me, an I will answer if I can.......

JanH Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 10:50pm
post #4 of 6

Hi and Welcome, razzledazzle06. icon_smile.gif

Decoding CC acronyms:

Finding CC is probably the "funnest" way to find useful info. icon_lol.gif

Sketches, Patterns & Templates:

How much filling per layer cake by size:

For a quick start...

All four Wilton cake preparation and servings charts:
(Gives batter requirements by pan size, as well as recommended baking temps. and times, and more.)

Link to Wilton's tiered cake making & decorating help links:
(Everything from making the cakes to decorating with either b/c or fondant.)

Expanded flavors version of the WASC cake:
(Moist & reliable doctored cake mix recipe.)
(Using DH white cake mixes, the full recipe makes a tad over 14 cups of batter which is great for large or multiple small pans.)

Dependable crusting b/c recipe by indydebi:

How to smooth b/c frosting using the Melvira method:

Illustrated common cake support systems:
(With complete and accurate directions.)

More on SPS system:

Illustrated method of cutting level dowels by indydebi:

How to cut clean layers of cake and filling:
(From indydebi's website.)

P.S. Just post again when you need more help. thumbs_up.gif

razzledazzle06 Posted 1 May 2008 , 1:32am
post #5 of 6

WoW~thank you all so much for the info. I just wanted some advice from the experts before I went out wasting my money on useless books. I can not wait to get started. I think I will ask for a few things for my b-day.

psanders76 Posted 1 May 2008 , 6:52am
post #6 of 6 is all ive got to say.

Sharon is great!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%