How Do I Make A Fishnet Pattern?

Decorating By hollyz1 Updated 1 May 2008 , 5:28pm by hollyz1

hollyz1 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 6:26pm
post #1 of 4

Im making a "Roller Derby Wedding" cake and its been requested that there be a fishnet pattern on the tiers, and im at a loss as to what the best way to go about it would be. I first though of piping it, but it seems like that might take forever to do and, my piping skills are weak at best. Then I thought maybe I would paint it on. My only qualm with this is that how would I get the pattern to look right wrapping up on top of the tier?

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? please please!

3 replies
ibmoser Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 8:00pm
post #2 of 4

Don't know exactly what you have in mind, but you might consider Sugarveil icing. Check out the bottom right example here

This can be done without the dispenser system - just a piping bag or icing comb to make straight lines of the flexible Sugarveil and then make dots to hold the separate lines together.

7yyrt Posted 1 May 2008 , 12:24am
post #3 of 4

A fishnet is basically just a diamond grid pattern. Many press a straight edge into the icing in the pattern. That might look nice on a wedding cake as just dents, or you can go over it with a piping bag to make it raised.
Here's a closeup.

hollyz1 Posted 1 May 2008 , 5:28pm
post #4 of 4

Wow, that sugarveil stuff looks amazing! I really want to try that... unfortunately I dont have time to order it for this cake. So I think Ill try the indentation thing.

Thanks so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%