What Frosting Do You Recommend

Decorating By Sweettooth1120 Updated 1 May 2008 , 6:34am by JanH

Sweettooth1120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweettooth1120 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 6:20pm
post #1 of 6

A friend asked me to do cupcakes for her wedding in early september. The wedding and reception are outside. What frosting do you recommend that will hold up well to the heat? Recipes would be appreciated.

Thanks

Kim

5 replies
Sweettooth1120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweettooth1120 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 7:21pm
post #2 of 6

Anyone?

vteventrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vteventrider Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 7:27pm
post #3 of 6

I would stick with a firm BC that does not have butter so it won't get to soft.

Try 1 cup shortening (I like sweetex) to 1lb powdered sugar, to about 3-4 Tspn of liquid and some flavorings. You can play with it from there.

Or maybe something like Pastry Pride or Dreamwhip might hold up but I do not have experience with those so hopefully someone else can answer about those.

TaylorMadeSweetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TaylorMadeSweetz Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 7:32pm
post #4 of 6

I say buttercream with a lil stiffer consistency. I just use the Wilton Buttercream Icing recipe. You could add whatever flavorings you like, this is just the general recipe. Hope this helps!

Makes double batch
2 cups shortening
2 tbs of meringue powder
2 tsp of vanilla flavoring
2 lbs of powdered sugar
6 tbs of water for thick consistency (add additional tbs for desired thinner consistency)

MegWinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MegWinn Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 7:45pm
post #5 of 6

I would agree to use a non-butter "buttercream" When you buy meringue powder I think there is a recipe for this in the can. BUT I would suggest you use your current buttercream recipe and then substitute the crisco for the butter, add butter flavoring, and add meringue powder for added stability. Good luck.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 1 May 2008 , 6:34am
post #6 of 6

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%