Toba's Glace And Royal Icing

Baking By ande1058 Updated 9 May 2008 , 12:51am by Erin83

ande1058 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 11

I am getting ready to make some first communion cross cookies for a friend and I normally use Toba's glace. She would like for each child's name to be written on the cookie and I'm wondering if I can use royal icing on top of Toba's glace to do this. I've never mixed the two, but really love the way Toba's glace tastes and looks. Can this be done? Will I have to worry about the royal icing going soft even if the glace has set? Any ideas or tips you may have are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

10 replies
GeminiRJ Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 5:37pm
post #2 of 11

If you add more powdered sugar to the glace, you can just use that and not have to mix up some royal. I do all my details and lettering with the stiffened glace.

Honeydukes Posted 1 May 2008 , 7:50am
post #3 of 11

I use Toba's Glace' for my cookie base and add RI details. You won't have any problems -- it won't go soft or melt. Just be sure to let the glace' set. icon_smile.gif

kneadacookie Posted 1 May 2008 , 10:40pm
post #4 of 11

why can't you just use the thickened glaze to detail??

ande1058 Posted 2 May 2008 , 3:08pm
post #5 of 11

I prefer to use the glace icing, but I'm afraid I won't have as much control when it comes to the writing part. Does it take longer for the the thickened glace to harden? I'm cutting my drying time maybe a little bit short as I'm delivering the cookies tomorrow evening, but finishing them up tonight. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

GeminiRJ Posted 2 May 2008 , 5:21pm
post #6 of 11

You could use the food decorating pens. I have some from Americolor that I really like, and it's just like using a marker.

Linliv46 Posted 2 May 2008 , 5:48pm
post #7 of 11

I have used the glaze and RI on all my cookies. Just make sure you let the Tobas glaze dry and then do your writing. I did black and white wedding cookies and did not have any smudges. Worked great, but just make sure your glaze is dry.

ande1058 Posted 5 May 2008 , 9:00pm
post #8 of 11

Thank you everyone for all your helpful answers. I ended up doing a combination of all the advice. I didn't end up using the royal icing, I just used a much thicker glace, and I also used the markers - they worked wonderfully. I was struggling quite a bit with the writing part, so the markers were fantatstic! Thank you again for all your ideas and help. My friend said they were amazing and that everyone kept coming up wanting to know where she got them from. So glad I forgot to take pictures. icon_sad.gif

Erin83 Posted 8 May 2008 , 5:16pm
post #9 of 11

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if someone could help me find the recipe for Toba's Glaze.

Thank You,

Erin83 Posted 9 May 2008 , 12:51am
post #11 of 11

Thank You, so much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%