Gumball Cake Directions

Decorating By Delynn Updated 30 Apr 2008 , 5:59pm by Sarsi

Delynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Delynn Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:00pm
post #1 of 3

Need directions on making a gumball cake. I saw it in new gallery pics.

Thanks
Delynn

2 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 5:44pm
post #2 of 3

I just made one........all I did was bake 3 -6 inch layers, stacked them with buttercream in between the layers and carved them so it was smaller on top than on the bottom, and hollowed out a little hole at the bottom for the part that dispenses the gumballs...then iced the whole thing, covered in red mmf, and pushed in so it stuck inside the hole I dug out, used the back of a knife to put indents/grooves down the sides of the machine base...then rolled a rope of mmf and put around the bottom base. Doweled the cake with 4 wooden dowels, put a puddle of royal icing on top set a fish bowl with candy on it, then rolled another rope of fondant and put it around the base of the bowl to kinda finish it off and help it to be more secure on the cake. Then I took a cardboard round, and cut to the size of the opening of my fish bowl and hot glued it on the top, then put a mound of mmf on top and shaped it like the dome top of a gumball machine,t hen used a decorating tip to make a circle indent on top, then a knife to make a slice in it so it looked like the screw on the top of a gumball machine and painted it with silver luster dust.........sounds like a lot..but they're very easy to do and mine only took me about 1 1/2 hrs. and i usually take FOREVER to decorate a cake!
Oh and for the face plate, I cut a rectangle of mmf and glued it to the cake with water..then took a round cookie cutter and cut out the coin slot cutting through both layers of fondant (the white face plate and red part covering cake) and pulled them both out and just replaced the white circle, then I used white royal icing to pipe swirls onto the face plate...waited a few minutes so it could set up and then went back and painted everything with clear vanilla/ silver luster dust mix. The knob was just formed out of mmf and painted too and I stuck two toothpicks into the cake and attached the knob that way

HTH

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 5:59pm
post #3 of 3

wow!! Great instuctions KHalstead!! I too, want to make one of these really badly!!! icon_smile.gif hmmm....who can be my victim?!?!? LOL....I guess they're not a victim if I"m giving them a cake...oh well.. LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%