Does Imbc Or Smbc Crust? Sorry Dumb Question

Baking By trulyjulie Updated 30 Apr 2008 , 7:55pm by trulyjulie

trulyjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trulyjulie Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:43pm
post #1 of 8

I want to try IMBC or SMBC but want to know first does it crust, can you decorate with it? Could you smooth it with Viva?

7 replies
BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:46pm
post #2 of 8

IMBC and SMBC do not crust. You can however refrigerate until the icing is hard and use a Viva towel and the warmth from your hands to smooth. I often do that on the icing if it is going under fondant. You can get very smooth icing using the hot spatula method also, but it obviously takes a bit of practice.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:51pm
post #3 of 8

You can decorate with it, but you have to have a couple bags going because when it gets warm it gets very soft.. so I like to be able to put the bag down for a while to let it cool down. I have hot hands too so that doesn't help.

I find that it is VERY easy to smooth. I put it on.. smooth it with a bench scraper and go over it with the scraper warmed (not hot hot). It smooths out very nicely. I always chill it before I put fondant over the cake too.

trulyjulie Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:08pm
post #4 of 8

I wouldn't be putting fondant over it just the buttercream and I'd like to be able to do some piping, would it hold up for flowers?

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:27pm
post #5 of 8

Yes it will. I make roses with it and some drop flowers.. just be sure to not let it get too warm. icon_smile.gif

trulyjulie Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:31pm
post #6 of 8

thanks!

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 6:24pm
post #7 of 8

All the flower cakes in my photos except the 3 tier one are all done in IMBC. It pipes very well indeed.

trulyjulie Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 7:55pm
post #8 of 8

Wow, BakingGirl your cakes are gorgeous. Definately going to try this

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%