Does Imbc Or Smbc Crust? Sorry Dumb Question

Baking By trulyjulie Updated 30 Apr 2008 , 7:55pm by trulyjulie

trulyjulie Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:43pm
post #1 of 8

I want to try IMBC or SMBC but want to know first does it crust, can you decorate with it? Could you smooth it with Viva?

7 replies
BakingGirl Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:46pm
post #2 of 8

IMBC and SMBC do not crust. You can however refrigerate until the icing is hard and use a Viva towel and the warmth from your hands to smooth. I often do that on the icing if it is going under fondant. You can get very smooth icing using the hot spatula method also, but it obviously takes a bit of practice.

FromScratch Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:51pm
post #3 of 8

You can decorate with it, but you have to have a couple bags going because when it gets warm it gets very soft.. so I like to be able to put the bag down for a while to let it cool down. I have hot hands too so that doesn't help.

I find that it is VERY easy to smooth. I put it on.. smooth it with a bench scraper and go over it with the scraper warmed (not hot hot). It smooths out very nicely. I always chill it before I put fondant over the cake too.

trulyjulie Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:08pm
post #4 of 8

I wouldn't be putting fondant over it just the buttercream and I'd like to be able to do some piping, would it hold up for flowers?

FromScratch Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:27pm
post #5 of 8

Yes it will. I make roses with it and some drop flowers.. just be sure to not let it get too warm. icon_smile.gif

trulyjulie Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:31pm
post #6 of 8

thanks!

BakingGirl Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 6:24pm
post #7 of 8

All the flower cakes in my photos except the 3 tier one are all done in IMBC. It pipes very well indeed.

trulyjulie Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 7:55pm
post #8 of 8

Wow, BakingGirl your cakes are gorgeous. Definately going to try this

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%