Tinting Cream Cheese Icing

Decorating By IloveYorkies85 Updated 30 Apr 2008 , 6:52pm by shadow79

IloveYorkies85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IloveYorkies85 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:24pm
post #1 of 8

I'm making a strawberry cake tonight, with cream cheese icing. I need bright teal, and lime green. I've never even made cream cheese icing. Does it tint like buttercream? Can I get these colors with it? HOPE SO! icon_biggrin.gif
Also, any tips for icing with cream cheese icing? Is it different?

Thanks guys!!!

7 replies
allee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allee Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:44pm
post #2 of 8

I tint my cream cheese icing all the time. Adds lots of "visual interest". I use gel/paste colors and a bit extra p.sugar. Haven't done those colors, but I did do a hot pink for Valentine's. It's in my pics.
HTH

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 4:54pm
post #3 of 8

You can always use buttercream to decorate if you can't get the right colors with cream cheese.

IloveYorkies85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IloveYorkies85 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 5:58pm
post #4 of 8

Well I need teal and green for the whole cake, and the rest of the deco is in fondant. . . soooo... hopefully it will turn out good. Ill test it first, if it doesn't come out right ill just do a different color.

shadow79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadow79 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 6:12pm
post #5 of 8

I have tinted my cream cheese numerous times. I have noticed that the colors do seem to be brighter/more shiny with cream cheese. The icing seems to pick up the color a little more (at least mine does). I used yellow for a whole cake once.

There are 3 cream cheese icing cakes in my photos if you want to see the coloring that I am talking about. 2 of them are round cakes that say 'Happy Birthday" with dots on them and the other one is white and brown(choc cream cheese) with basketweave with strawberries on top.

shadow79 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 6:14pm
post #6 of 8

oh, I forgot I did this one too..it has some green cream cheese icing on the top for ya:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1203168.html

kellycat102938 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellycat102938 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 6:25pm
post #7 of 8

shadow79: which cream cheese icing are you working with? The reason I ask is that the piping looks wonderful. I use Christeena's cream cheese icing, but I 've never tried piping with it, and wondered

shadow79 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 6:52pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellycat102938

shadow79: which cream cheese icing are you working with? The reason I ask is that the piping looks wonderful. I use Christeena's cream cheese icing, but I 've never tried piping with it, and wondered

Thank you! I am using wilton's cream cheese recipe. I found it on their website. I think it taste's great. When doing borders and basketweave with cream cheese I have found that I have to pipe some and then if I see the icing loose its shape as I pipe I put my bag with tip attached and all in the fridge for about 5-10 minutes to let the icing set back up again.

The cream cheese icing gets soft real easy from the warmth of your hand as you decorate.
For instance, through the course of completing one of the basketweave cakes, I usually have to put my devorating bag in the fridge about 2-3 times.

HTH!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%