First Wedding Cake....tons Of Questions!!!!

Decorating By imaginecakes Updated 5 May 2008 , 3:02pm by diane

imaginecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imaginecakes Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:02pm
post #1 of 23

Good Morning All! icon_biggrin.gif
Ok, so it is quite a ways away, but I am meeting with the bride soon and I want to have answers to all of her questions!

so first...about the cakes with ribbon around the bottoms...how is that done? How is it attached? And this may be a dumb question, but I'm guessing that you just tear it off when it comes time to cut the cake?

How many flavors do you usually include with your tastings? How many Filling flavors? How many icings? What is the usual size for the samples?

At the reception site...who usually cuts the cake for them...the caterer? Do I need to provide any type of "cutting guide" for them, or should they already know how to cut it?

Who provides for the boxes for the top anniversary tier? What about the left over cake...do any of you provide boxes or anything for that?

I just love some of the beautiful silver cake stands that are out there, but they are sooo expensive! Can you rent something like that?

And lastly, I have an idea so far of what she is going for, but she wants to look at my portfolio...which I do have, but it's pretty slim and it contains NO wedding cakes. What would you do? Just try to pump a few dummies out from now until I meet with her and then provide books and mags that she can look through for ideas as well?

How bad does it look that you have never done a wedding cake before? I mean I realize we all have to start somewhere, but does she need to know that? Especially if I do have time to make a few dummy cakes and put them in my portfolio? Do you think she will even ask?

Ok, well thanks so much for everyones help!! I am like soooo ULTRA EXCITED THAT I'M JUMPING OUT OF MY SKIN!!!!!! party.gificon_biggrin.gif

22 replies
HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:16pm
post #2 of 23

Someone's got to be your first, right?

As a consumer, I'd feel a lot more confident if you had a few pictures of tiered cakes to show me that you'd done, even if they were just dummies for practice.

imaginecakes Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 4:57pm
post #3 of 23

Yeah, I have definitely decided to pump out a few dummy cakes to add to my album. So what about the ribbon on the cake, the reception site and tastings questions...any one willing to share? icon_smile.gif

Gale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gale Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 5:10pm
post #4 of 23

I have found that it's best to use double-sided tape and wax paper on the back of my ribbons. Just measure the ribbon around each cake pan and leave about 1/2 inch more for overlap. Then put double-sided tape on the back of the ribbon and press it down on the wax paper. Just trim off the excess paper on the edges. It really doesn't take very long. I usually do mine while my tiers are baking or the night before.
I also provide the box for the top tier of my wedding cakes. I don't leave any additional boxes.
I usually use two flavors for my tastings but I ask the bride when she makes the appointment what flavors she is most interested in.

Hope this helps! Congratulations on your first wedding!

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 5:18pm
post #5 of 23

You can rent those stands, depending on what's available in your area. If you have a place that rents tables, cloths, fountains, etc, there's a good chance they'll also have some cake presentation supplies. Call around and check it out. Just keep in mind the cost of renting, and would it be worth it just to spend some extra money and buy one, if possible.

On the making a wedding cake ahead of time... dummies are nice for show (and keep in mind that I haven't looked through your photos yet) but if you haven't done a several-tiered cake, I firmly suggest doing so for practice well ahead of the game! icon_razz.gif You DON'T want your first large tiered cake to be one that HAS to be perfect... just in case something goes wrong. (Ask me how I know! LOL) On the other hand, if you've made tiered cakes but just not a wedding cake, ignore me. icon_smile.gif

Good luck! Sounds like fun, and it also sounds like this will spur you to work towards a thicker portfolio, which is always a good thing. icon_smile.gif

imaginecakes Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 7:28pm
post #6 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniB

You can rent those stands, depending on what's available in your area. If you have a place that rents tables, cloths, fountains, etc, there's a good chance they'll also have some cake presentation supplies. Call around and check it out. Just keep in mind the cost of renting, and would it be worth it just to spend some extra money and buy one, if possible.

On the making a wedding cake ahead of time... dummies are nice for show (and keep in mind that I haven't looked through your photos yet) but if you haven't done a several-tiered cake, I firmly suggest doing so for practice well ahead of the game! icon_razz.gif You DON'T want your first large tiered cake to be one that HAS to be perfect... just in case something goes wrong. (Ask me how I know! LOL) On the other hand, if you've made tiered cakes but just not a wedding cake, ignore me. icon_smile.gif

Good luck! Sounds like fun, and it also sounds like this will spur you to work towards a thicker portfolio, which is always a good thing. icon_smile.gif

Thanks! I have actually made a few tiered cakes. I wouldn't say they were perfect ( and probably never will be with my perfectionist standards! ), but at least if something went wrong I know exactly what it was and I learned from it! And knowing me I will probably end up making her EXACT wedding cake 2 or 3 times so I am comfortable with every aspect of it. The LAST thing I want is for my first wedding cake to also be my last! icon_cry.gif Or to ruin a wedding!! icon_eek.gif Thanks again for your help!

imaginecakes Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 7:30pm
post #7 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale

I have found that it's best to use double-sided tape and wax paper on the back of my ribbons. Just measure the ribbon around each cake pan and leave about 1/2 inch more for overlap. Then put double-sided tape on the back of the ribbon and press it down on the wax paper. Just trim off the excess paper on the edges. It really doesn't take very long. I usually do mine while my tiers are baking or the night before.
I also provide the box for the top tier of my wedding cakes. I don't leave any additional boxes.
I usually use two flavors for my tastings but I ask the bride when she makes the appointment what flavors she is most interested in.

Hope this helps! Congratulations on your first wedding!

Thank you! icon_biggrin.gif And your instuctions make perfect sense!! Thank you so much!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 11:11pm
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen13

so first...about the cakes with ribbon around the bottoms...how is that done? How is it attached? And this may be a dumb question, but I'm guessing that you just tear it off when it comes time to cut the cake?

I just wrap the ribbon around the cake and attached with a dot of BC icing.

Quote:

How many flavors do you usually include with your tastings? How many Filling flavors? How many icings? What is the usual size for the samples?

I make three 3x3x2 cakes ... torted ... 2 white and 1 choc ... each filled with a different filling. To make the 3x3's, I bake a 6" square and cut it in quarters. It's just enough for 4 sample-size slices and I only allow a max of 4 at a sampling.

Quote:

At the reception site...who usually cuts the cake for them...the caterer? Do I need to provide any type of "cutting guide" for them, or should they already know how to cut it?

Who provides for the boxes for the top anniversary tier? What about the left over cake...do any of you provide boxes or anything for that?

If you do not normally stay a cut the cake, then bluntly you really don't care who's cutting the cake. I WOULD ask the bride, though, who is cutting the cake ... if it's a family member, ask if know how to cut a wedding cake. You are welcome to direct them to my web site page on how to cut a wedding cake ( http://cateritsimple.com/_wsn/page19.html )

As a caterer, allow me to suggest that it should never be assumed the caterer is doing it. I will cut another person's cake (one not made by me) *IF* it's discussed with me prior and *IF* financial consideration has been arranged between me and the bride. If she tells you "the caterer is", it would be a good service to your bride to ask her "does the caterer know that?"

Here's the reasoning: I, as the caterer, am making NO MONEY off of the cake that was purchased elsewhere, but you (bride) expect me to pay my staff to hang around and cut your cake for you? Who is paying the expense of my employee to do that? Hmmmmmm??

Usually the cake person provides the box(s). Logically you are transporting it in a box (unless you transport pre-assembled) anyway.

autobuni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
autobuni Posted 3 May 2008 , 6:48am
post #9 of 23

Just a suggestion to make "dummy cakes" to show her. Instead of baking tons of cake and decorating for no reason - purchase styrafoam (sp), hot glue the layers together and tear them - then decorate with bc frosting.
Its a great way to practice too! No having to wait until your cake cools icon_smile.gif
Good luck - we are all rooting for you! Just take your time and play it out in your head exactly what you are going to do.
Cheers!

indydebi Posted 3 May 2008 , 11:31am
post #10 of 23

just as another option, I never hot glue my dummies together. THe icing between the tiers holds them in place just fine. That way, you can scrape off the icing and reuse them in any design and you're not limited to the original set up that's now glued together.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 3 May 2008 , 2:34pm
post #11 of 23

i think what autobuni meant was to hot glue the "regular styrofoam" discs that you get at the craft stores....that would make it into one cake if you got those discs(frost those and then stack the regular cake on top of one of those)...well, you need like 3 of them to get the height you want and they are very expensive. You are better off buying dummies from Dallas-Foam.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 3 May 2008 , 4:44pm
post #12 of 23

you should purchase some styrofoam dummies. they're really inexpensive...especially if you buy them from dallas foam co. you can practice with them and then take pictures to show your customers. icon_wink.gif

indydebi Posted 3 May 2008 , 10:35pm
post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by step0nmi

i think what autobuni meant was to hot glue the "regular styrofoam" discs that you get at the craft stores....that would make it into one cake if you got those discs(frost those and then stack the regular cake on top of one of those)...well, you need like 3 of them to get the height you want and they are very expensive. You are better off buying dummies from Dallas-Foam.

OHHHHHHHH! thanks for explaining!! (I often wondered why people hot glued these! Now I get it!) thumbs_up.gif

SugarLover2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarLover2 Posted 3 May 2008 , 11:17pm
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane

you should purchase some styrofoam dummies. they're really inexpensive...especially if you buy them from co. you can practice with them and then take pictures to show your customers. icon_wink.gif

Just wondering what the blocked site is? I'd like to do some dummie cakes and save as much money as possible in the process. Thanks!

step0nmi Posted 3 May 2008 , 11:21pm
post #15 of 23

I don't know the blocked site...but I've looked and Dallas Foam seems the cheapest!

indydebi Posted 3 May 2008 , 11:41pm
post #16 of 23

most likely www.**********.com

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 3 May 2008 , 11:46pm
post #17 of 23

When I book the tasting consultation with a prospective bride, I ask what three (3) cake flavors she'd like to sample. I always have vanilla and chocolate butter cream as samples, and then, an additional bc that will also tie in nicely with her cake sample selections. I bake 6" round sample cakes and cut into 1/4's and then 1/4 again. I really like the larger sizes, plus, you get a nice view of the cake.

If a cutting guide is requested, I'll happily provide one. Honestly, I think that I've only had one, maybe two requests for a guide all total. I don't cut the cake.

I'm a little different with this point. I provide a complimentary honeymoon cake for my couples, as well as, a complimentary, fresh anniversary cake. This sets me apart from other bakers, and I like adding that special "thank you" for choosing me as their baker. I also tell them during the initial consultation to just get in touch with me about 2 weeks prior to their first anniversary, just so I can get them on my schedule, and make sure that their anniversary cake gets priority.

Good luck!!!! Lots of great information and advice right here at CC. You'll be ready to churn wedding cakes out like clockwork before long. Again, good luck to you!

Amy

LadyMike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyMike Posted 4 May 2008 , 1:01am
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbyamym

I'm a little different with this point. I provide a complimentary honeymoon cake for my couples, as well as, a complimentary, fresh anniversary cake. This sets me apart from other bakers, and I like adding that special "thank you" for choosing me as their baker. I also tell them during the initial consultation to just get in touch with me about 2 weeks prior to their first anniversary, just so I can get them on my schedule, and make sure that their anniversary cake gets priority.

I do something similar to this. I provide a box for their top tier so that they can either take it with them on their honeymoon or, as tradition goes, they can freeze it for their 1st anniversary. If their choice is to use it for whatever, then they need to contact me approximately 2 weeks prior to their 1st anniversary. I will provide them with a 2 layer, 6 inch cake that is identical (or as close as possible) to the top tier of their original wedding cake. I also have their 1st anniversary marked on the next year's calendar to send them a Happy 1st Anniversary card. That means a lot, and they'll be sure to let others know. Can't hurt!

LadyMike icon_smile.gif

SugarLover2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarLover2 Posted 4 May 2008 , 9:47pm
post #19 of 23

Hmm, that one is blocked too!

diane Posted 5 May 2008 , 2:24pm
post #20 of 23

oops...i meant to type www.**********.com  icon_confused.gif

step0nmi Posted 5 May 2008 , 2:28pm
post #21 of 23

hey everyone...CC is basically only going to let ONE company show through and that's Global Sugar Art...if you have another suggestion you might as well just email that person. They are exclusive to them now and all other companies are blocked.

diane Posted 5 May 2008 , 3:01pm
post #22 of 23

oh...didn't know that. icon_confused.gif

diane Posted 5 May 2008 , 3:02pm
post #23 of 23

oh...didn't know that. icon_confused.gif

if anyone wants to know where to buy cheap foam, just pm me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%