Air Bubbles In My Cakes!

Decorating By grammynan Updated 1 May 2008 , 5:03am by JanH

grammynan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grammynan Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:17pm
post #1 of 17

I'm having a terrible time with air bubbles in my cakes! I follow the cake mix directions to the letter, I slam the pan on the table and I run a knife through the batter. But I'm still left with all these bubble in my baked cakes. Does anyone have any suggestions?

16 replies
vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:21pm
post #2 of 17

Do you use a handheld mixer or a stand mixer??

If you use a stand mixer, do you use the paddle or the whip??

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:27pm
post #3 of 17

Maybe you're mixing your batter a little faster than you ought to be. Sometimes I have a lot of bubbles and other times almost none. Thumping them a few times usually brings them to the surface. I'm not sure why this occurs.

grammynan Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:42pm
post #4 of 17

I use a stand mixer with the paddle. Two minutes at medium speed. Maybe I need to lower the speed. But will the batter be mixed enough?

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:19pm
post #5 of 17

I used to overmix and had the same problem you do, but then someone here (I think indydebi??) said that she doesn't mix 2 minutes as suggested -- I think it also helps prevent doming??

Anyway, since I have started only mixing til everything looks moist (maybe one minute) and not watching the clock I haven't had big air bubbles!

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:27pm
post #6 of 17

I just gently tap my pan (for a couple minutes) on the counter, and I watch for the air bubbles to come up.
And I agree with the "don't overmix" advice. I don't think I've ever mixed a cake mix for 2 minutes.

Hope this helps.

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:29pm
post #7 of 17

I don't mix mine the two minutes wither. I mox it until it looks good and incorporated and I have less air bubbles.

fondantfrenzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantfrenzy Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:37pm
post #8 of 17

What does over mixing do? I am a little annoyed, i usually get R and H mix from a cash and carry place and they were out of the 10 pound bag, so they told me that they had a 50 pound bag of the same exact thing. They swore to me it was the same. So i bought all 50 pounds not needing it but needed the same kind of batter. So i get home and realize its cake base and not mix. So instead of adding just water now i gotta add a pound of egg white...anyways, to add to may annoyance, I used a whip to mix it and followed the mixing times to a tee. Well it was thick batter like brownie batter.

I am sure using a whip had something to do with it. but can anyone explain what over mixing does?

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:44pm
post #9 of 17

Overmixing has something to do with the gluten in flour and I think it's the eggs that whip up causing the bubbles??

I started using egg whites in a carton -- t says not to use for meringues and angel food cake because the pasteurization effects their ability to rise -- but my cakes have been coming out great! (Trader Joes, $1.99 for a carton equal to 8 egg whites).

fondantfrenzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantfrenzy Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:09pm
post #10 of 17

So is it a correct assumption to just watch the batter so that it looks like it is well mixed? and forget about the mixing times the instructions say? is there such a thing as undermixing?

As far as the egg whites, I went to safeway and got their brand and when I got home, I noticed they conviently added coloring to make it look like real eggs, icon_confused.gif Anyways....i just added some white food coloring to it and it was fine as far as the color. But I will check out Trader Joes I love that place.

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:14pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by grammynan

I use a stand mixer with the paddle. Two minutes at medium speed. Maybe I need to lower the speed. But will the batter be mixed enough?

That is most likely your problem. I have a kitchenaid and the equivalents to a hand mixer are:

2 - low
4 - medium
6 - high

So if you are mixing at medium speed on your stand mixer, you are actually mixing at high speed...giving you your air bubbles.

Also stir your batter with spatula a bit to get the air bubbles out plus the counter drops.

becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:39pm
post #12 of 17

I get a lot less air bubbles since I started sifting my cake mix. I also put the wet ingredients in the mixer bowl first, then add the sifted cake mix. No more dry mix stuck to the bottom of the bowl! Good luck!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 4:19pm
post #13 of 17

I'm not fimilar w/that brand but when I used 50# bags I had to mix it a whole different wayicon_sad.gif Don't ask....I don't remember the instructions now.

If you are using that mix but making small (equal to one or two box mixes) batches, then there should be no different.
When I would have problems w/bubbles in the mix it usually was because there was not enough liquid used. Try increasing the water (or whatever yhou are using) by a couple of tablespoons - up to 1/4 cup if necessary.

mommycakediva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommycakediva Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 4:45pm
post #14 of 17

Ya I never mix for 2 minutes either than just tap the pan like everyone else.

grammynan Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 7:32pm
post #15 of 17

Thanks for all the great information. It's just what I needed.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:57am
post #16 of 17
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 1 May 2008 , 5:03am
post #17 of 17

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%