How To Do A Cake Like This......

Decorating By hwnhulahands Updated 30 Apr 2008 , 3:46pm by aswartzw

hwnhulahands Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:00pm
post #1 of 12

I can't get the link on here but if you put NBA championship trophy pictures and click on anything that'll bring the picture. It's the tall "cup" with the basketball on top off to the side, how do I construct a cake like this? I have a teens birthday sunday and have to make a surprise cake for him and he is extremely fond of the NBA. His mom gave me a recipe (in spanish of course, I can't speak Spanish) and in the picture and even in the recipe (I got it translated) it says to use a bundt pan, could I still use this recipe for a cake like this?

11 replies
hwnhulahands Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:21pm
post #2 of 12

http://sports.gearlive.com/blogimages/nba_trophy.jpg

I think you can pull it at this link.

Win Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:27pm
post #3 of 12

Wow! Good luck there! I saw Duff make a trophy cake, but the base was square and that was the cake... the trophy was carved out of styrofoam due to the weight/balance issue. Not sure if you could approach this cake the same way.

mom2spunkynbug Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:30pm
post #4 of 12

OMG!

Yeah, I would think that that would have to be done with styrofoam & wires. You could do that part small, and then have it be on top of a larger cake.

Good luck!

Starkie Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:30pm
post #5 of 12

I've never done anything like this, but I would probably use styrofoam for the ball and cake for the trophy. Or, you could have a styro ball and RKT trophy sitting on a cake base. Just a thought...

aswartzw Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:30pm
post #6 of 12

I was thinking you could make the trophy out of carved cakes and then just use a styrofoam ball covered in fondant for the basketball. I think carving the trophy would be easy and by using styrofoam you would eliminate any balancing/weight issues.

sambugjoebear Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:33pm
post #7 of 12

If it's like the picture that hulahands posted, I would make a single layer 12" square, single layer 10" square and stack those for the base (or a bunch of stacked covered boards if you didn't need the extra cake). For the cup I would do gradually increased round cake sizes (i.e. 6" layered for bottom, stack with 8" layered, stack 10" layer on top- supports thru out and dowel thru middle). Sports ball pan for the basketball (either cake or to make it lighter use RCT). Sit it on cup and dowel again. To make it shiny like the picture use gold luster dust.

Keep in mind, I've never made something like this, but that seems to me how I would make it. Don't know if I made it harder or easier. lol. Good luck!

hwnhulahands Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:36pm
post #8 of 12

what is RCT?

hwnhulahands Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:40pm
post #9 of 12

sanbug-doing the rounds, would I do only one layer per size or two or three layers per size? And would I still be able to use a recipe that I think is intentionally for a bundt cake?

hwnhulahands Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:59pm
post #10 of 12

does anyone know if could use this type of recipe?

pjaycakes Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:34pm
post #11 of 12

Bundt cake recipes are usually pretty dense, so I would think you should be able to use it. Just freeze it a little while before carving, so it is easier to cut. I also found a long serrated bread knife works great for carving. RCT are Rice Krispie Treats. They are lighter than cake and tasty too.

aswartzw Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:46pm
post #12 of 12

Just make sure to dowel and support every 2-3 layers of cake. You would use as many layers as you would need of cake to get your desired height. There is a whimsical cake tutorial (I think located on the front page-bottom) that uses this stacking technique for each tier. Maybe this would give you a better idea of what to do. I would personally think just about any kind of cake would work for this as long you dowel it well.

I found it. It goes up to step 7 on how to do this different cake layer stacking.

http://www.cakecentral.com/article1-Instructions-For-Building-A-Whimsical-Tilted-Cake.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%