Giving Samples

Business By amazinggracecakedesigns Updated 30 Apr 2008 , 11:22pm by Rhienn

amazinggracecakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amazinggracecakedesigns Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 12:59pm
post #1 of 10

Hi everyone! I have decided to give some samples of my cakes to businesses and people that I know to try to help the "word of mouth" advertising. Which would be the best to give - cupcakes or small 6" cakes? I want people to not only like the looks of my cakes but also the taste. I have heard alot of comments that anyone can make a pretty cake but it is really all about taste. Looking forward to your input!!

Stacy icon_biggrin.gif

9 replies
lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:09pm
post #2 of 10

I plan on doing the same. I was leaning more toward the cupcakes and making different batters so I could give a sample of a few different ones. Also maybe a few 6" so they could see it decorated better too. Not all to the same people, just switch it up a little as I go.

amazinggracecakedesigns Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:12pm
post #3 of 10

That sounds like a great idea. I hadn't thought about the different batters. Thanks!! thumbs_up.gif

Stacy

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:23pm
post #4 of 10

Cupcakes are a great way to get your product out there. Just be sure that you are licensed and legal before doing it. icon_smile.gif

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:24pm
post #5 of 10

IMHO what we do is certainly about taste, but what separates us from chain store bakeries is also what we do with the great cakes. So I think something that demonstrates your decorating abilities is also important. It will help them remember you, and that what you do is not chain store!

FromScratch Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:27pm
post #6 of 10

I'd do something cute.. a nice cuppie with a fondant flower on it or something like that. Or you could tailor it to the business you are dropping at.. say you drop at the local hardware store.. you could do little tolls and such.. or if it was the bank it could have little fondant dollar bills or the bank's logo.. that will set you apart along with the flavor. icon_smile.gif

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:27pm
post #7 of 10

How about a color flyer with a collage of your cake pictures, and maybe a sampler of mini cupcakes?

amazinggracecakedesigns Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 4:35pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks guys for all the great information!! Question though? I haven't worked with fondant a whole lot, so, how would you make dollar bills for the bank out of fondant? Any ideas would be appreciated!!

Stacy icon_biggrin.gif

FromScratch Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 10:02pm
post #9 of 10

That'd be easy.. just roll it out thin and cut it into little rectangles and then use some green food color to paint on it so it looks like a dollar. Doesn't have to be historically accurate or anything.. just take a fine brush and have fun! icon_smile.gif let them dry a bit before you move them so they won't distort and place them on the cupcakes. You could do coins too.. just use a #10 round tip or something and dust them with copper or silver dust and paint them with a little food color to add detail (or not.. it will be clear what they are without the detail).

Rhienn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhienn Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 11:22pm
post #10 of 10

My entire business is cupcakes, but I've found that minis totally hook people. AND, you can custom decorate them without it sucking a ton of your time. (Fondant cut outs, drop flowers, etc.)

Next week I'm dropping some at my bank branch and I think I might steal that coin idea. Brilliant!

I've also couriered dozens of standard sized cupcakes to big corporate offices. That seems to be a good hook too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%