Wilton Fondant Class

Decorating By nancylynwallace Updated 5 May 2008 , 12:33pm by LetThereBeCake07

nancylynwallace Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 11:49am
post #1 of 23

Has anyone out there taken the Fondant Class offered by Wilton? I have heard mixed reviews around here and I want to expand my horizons. I trust you all and know that you won't steer me wrong. icon_wink.gif
Thanks for your imput.

Nancy

22 replies
Iheartcake Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:51pm
post #2 of 23

I took it, missed the last class though so never got the certificate. It's good in the sense that you might pick up a few pointers that you didn't know. Also the kit (at 40% off) comes in handy from time to time. I mainly took it because I really enjoyed what I learned in the other 3 classes and it got me out of the house with others who enjoy decorating too!

HerBoudoir Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:39pm
post #3 of 23

I have not taken the Fondant class, but have taken two of the others. My instructor showed us a dummy cake with some of the methods that they teach in the fondant class - looked pretty interesting actually.

Overall, I've had a lot of fun with the Wilton classes, and found them to be worth the money.

renee2007 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:57pm
post #4 of 23

I agree with iheartcake. I took the class and although I didn't think it was as good as the other wilton classes I am still glad that I took it because I did learn some things that I didn't know before. hth

pianocat Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:18pm
post #5 of 23

I took the class. I thought it was the best one I took. The flowers you make are really pretty. We learned a lot of tips for using the fondant. I'm glad I took it.

Auryn Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:38pm
post #6 of 23

I took the fondant/gumpaste class 2 months ago
and to be honest with you I thought it was a waste of time.
Probably because of the instructor I had, she didn't seem very into teaching it and was very absent minded. She kept promising to give us a "great" fondant recipe but never did.
She also didn't seem very uptodate on techniques- straight out of the little course leaflet.

I didn't even go to the last class cause it just felt like a waste of time.
I've learned more by being on CC and reading how tos

nancylynwallace Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:39pm
post #7 of 23

Thanks, you guys! thumbs_up.gif
I think that I will give it a whirl!!
icon_lol.gif
Nancy

shannonann Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:40pm
post #8 of 23

I think it really depends on the instructor. If you have taken other Wilton classes and the instructor was good I'm sure the fondant class will be good, also.

I took all four Wilton classes and the instructor really didn't follow the courses as outlined by Wilton. By the time we got to the fondant course she was really wanting to do other things....like candy.

jenlg Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 4:00pm
post #9 of 23

I agree with shannonann that it depends on the instructor. I took all 4 classes and loved them. I have a gift box with flowers in my pictures that was my final cake for this class. I wasn't sure of how to do the lid at the time but I really liked making it. I'd say go for it!! Have fun!!

TexasSugar Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:11am
post #10 of 23

I'm a WMI, but I think it is a good class for those that have no to little fondant/gumpaste exeperince. It is even good for people that do have fondant experience.

Are you going to come out of the class making flowers as pretty and life like as Nick Lodge? Nope, but then agian his classes cost $300 plus.

What you will do in the class is learn 3 flowers, fondant borders and other things you can do with fondant/gumpaste on a cake. Plus you get time away from your house (hubby and kids) and get to spend it with people that enjoy something you do.

I really enjoy teaching the class and can't wait to see what my students do for their final cakes. They get creative sometimes. icon_smile.gif

nancylynwallace Posted 1 May 2008 , 11:24am
post #11 of 23

Thanks, TexasSugar, I think that I am going to take the class. It starts this Tuesday. Getting out of the house IS a bonus! icon_lol.gif DH is very supportive of my cake decorating addiction and is actually the one who suggested that I take Wilton classes in the first place. He has also bought all of the expensive cake decorating "toys" that I have . Thanks to everyone for your imput!!
icon_rolleyes.gif
You are the greatest!!

Nancy

tracey1970 Posted 1 May 2008 , 6:26pm
post #12 of 23

I took the class right after course 1 (didn't plan to take them in that order, but had no choice based on what was being offered at my local Michael's). Because I only had that first course under my belt (and therefore zero experience with fondant or gumpaste) I found the info very useful. I love the flowers you can make and how realistic they looked. As was already mentioned, a lot of what comes in the course kit will be useful to you in future. I did find that I had to buy a fair bit on top of the kit for this course, though, but it's all stuff I've used a fair bit since. My instructor was good too, which made it fun.

TexasSugar Posted 1 May 2008 , 10:29pm
post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracey1970

I took the class right after course 1 (didn't plan to take them in that order, but had no choice based on what was being offered at my local Michael's). Because I only had that first course under my belt (and therefore zero experience with fondant or gumpaste) I found the info very useful.

The F&GP class was made to be taken any time after Course 1. This is why it doesn't have a number in the title. This is also why it does cover very basic information at the beginning on fondant and gum paste. I know alot of instructors that teach it after C2 before C3. When I started teaching it it just happened to fall after my last C3. I'm considering making the switch myself.

Quote:
Quote:

I did find that I had to buy a fair bit on top of the kit for this course, though, but it's all stuff I've used a fair bit since.

I feel this is the second most expensive class we teach, after Course 1. In Course 1 alot of people send alot of money building up their supplies. Course 2 is the cheapest one in my opinion, followed by C3. But as you said, apart from the Fondant/Gumpaste the tools you buy are reusable and can be considered an investment. icon_smile.gif

tracey1970 Posted 3 May 2008 , 6:27pm
post #14 of 23

Thanks TexasSugar. That's what my course 1 instructor said when a few of us wanted to take this course right after hers. She did say, though, that in some ways taking this course would be a major overlap of stuff covered in course three. She said we may not even need to take course 3 if we took this one, since the material was similar. The only major difference, she told us, what that course 3 looks at stacking cakes. Otherwise, the general material is close in content. As such, I have held off on taking course 3 (I had to return to work after mat leave) until this summer. I know for sure that I will continue to get my money's worth out of the supplies I bought for the F&G course in number 3.

simplysweetbygigi Posted 3 May 2008 , 7:46pm
post #15 of 23

I RECENTLY BECAME A WILTON INSTRUCTOR BUT HAVE NOT TAUGHT MY FIRST CLASS YET, (START IN JUNE), SO BEING SAID THAT I CAN'T BAD MOUTH THE CLASS. HOWEVER, IT DEPENDS ON HOW MUCH YOU WORKED WITH FONDANT. I TOOK THE CLASS HOPING TO LEARN HOW TO CORRECT MISTAKES WITH FONDANT OR TO LEARN THAT PERFECT FINISHING TOUCHES. DID NOT LEARN EITHER BUT I DID ENJOY THE CLASS AND DID LEARN SOME TRICKS OF THE TRADE. SO MY SUGGESTION TO YOU IS IF YOU HAVE NOT WORKED WITH FONDANT YET OR YOU'RE HAVING TROUBLE GETTING THE CAKE COVERED SMOOTHLY THEN TAKE THE CLASS. OF COURSE EACH INTRUCTOR EVEN THOUGH THEY TEACH THE WILTON METHOD WILL ALWAYS GIVE YOU A DIFFERNT PERSPECTIVE ON THE SUBJECT. SO TAKE THE CLASS, HAVE FUN AND AT LEAST YOU GET OUT OF THE HOUSE WITH NO HUSBAND OR KIDS AND YOU WILL BE DOING SOMETHING YOU ENJOY!!!! thumbs_up.gif

elainec Posted 4 May 2008 , 2:16am
post #16 of 23

I an taking the fondant/gumpaste course now! My instructor is great. Last
week we covered coloring,marbled fondant, and covering the cake board.
This coming week covering the cake and playing with our toys. Have had fondant before but she makes it so much fun!!

wrightway777 Posted 4 May 2008 , 2:39am
post #17 of 23

elainec - Ask him/her if she can sneak in using the floral wire/tape usage (when you get to doing some flowers) - its not part of the class but maybe you can sweet talk him/her. If you are about to do the rose. The pink cutters "stink." Go to GSA (had to acronym it b/c of full name being blocked by CC) If you can find some good 5-petal cutters it makes a world of difference (time wise and they look better). Oh wilton gumpaste stinks (usage) too by the way. When you are done (or before) with the class may I suggest buying some Satin Ice and/or Choco-pan tastes MUCH better than that chemical Wilton stuff.icon_smile.gif Both seem to be the 'Fondants of Choice' by a good many people here on CC from what I have seen.

TexasSugar Posted 4 May 2008 , 8:04pm
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracey1970

She did say, though, that in some ways taking this course would be a major overlap of stuff covered in course three. She said we may not even need to take course 3 if we took this one, since the material was similar. The only major difference, she told us, what that course 3 looks at stacking cakes. Otherwise, the general material is close in content.

I have to disagree with your instructor. Yes in Course 3 we do cover a cake (Square) in fondant and do do the fondant cut outs on it, but you learn alot more than just that.

In Lesson 1 you bring buttercream and learn how to do cornelli lace, sotos, bead border, string work, ruffled garland and the ruffle border. You also start the fondant rose.

In Lesson 2 you finish the fondant rose, cover a square cake with fondant and learn how to do the fondant bow on the cake.

Lesson 3 you learn 4 new royal icing flowers using the lily nail. You will do the Easter Lily, Poinsetta, Morning Glory and Petunia.

Lesson 4 is the tiered cake and a great chance to be creative. I do not require my students to cover it with fondant, so there is alot of things they can do to this cake.

You don't learn anything from Lesson 1 or 3 in the F/GP course, nor would you learn how to do the fondant rose.

nancylynwallace Posted 4 May 2008 , 8:55pm
post #19 of 23

You guys have talked me into it thumbs_up.gif
Thanks
Nancy

HerBoudoir Posted 5 May 2008 , 2:34am
post #20 of 23

I think the most fun I had with Course III was learning how to do the flowers with the lily nails icon_smile.gif Like learning the rose in Course I, those really made the whole thing for me.

Starting Course II tomorrow night!

Kay_NL Posted 5 May 2008 , 12:21pm
post #21 of 23

I love Lillies and learning to make them was definitely the high point of the course III for me! The stacking concept I had already learned from everyone hear at CC! icon_smile.gif

I have been trying to decide whether to do the fondant/gum paste course as well. As of right now it is only offered on Sunday mornings and I'm not sure if I want to lose that time I have with my family... Maybe I'll give it a go in the fall, after gardening season. icon_biggrin.gif

LetThereBeCake07 Posted 5 May 2008 , 12:31pm
post #22 of 23

I took it, loved it and learned alot. I really liked learning how to make all the different flowers out of gumpaste...

matter of fact, i then used those flowers on a cake for a birthday at my bible study, took pictures of it and submitted it to the Taste Of Homes cake contest and ended up being a runner up!!!!!!!!! needless to say, i was happy! icon_biggrin.gif

here is the web site. I am the 4th picture down-it looks like a window basket of flowers and says Diligent Student next to it

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Creative-Cakes-Contest-Winners

LetThereBeCake07 Posted 5 May 2008 , 12:33pm
post #23 of 23

forgot to mention, some of those flowers were from the previous class and are made out of RI

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%