Gumpaste...................what Makes It Soften Back Up?

Decorating By debster Updated 30 Apr 2008 , 10:06pm by FromScratch

debster Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 11:41am
post #1 of 11

Ok , I made a batch of gumpaste and have had it curing in refridge for about a week. I took it out a couple days ago and it's still kinda on the hard side. What do I do to soften it up? Add Crisco? TIA

10 replies
FromScratch Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 11:51am
post #2 of 11

It is really hard or just tough to knead?

drgaddy Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 11:51am
post #3 of 11

That is what I normally do. Just put some Crisco on my hands and kneed it. It comes right back to the soft side...HTH

KathysCC Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 12:00pm
post #4 of 11

If it is really hard like a rock, there is no hope. Sometimes you can pull off the rock hard corners or edges and rework the softer inner part with some shortening. I've had hard pieces get in mine before and it makes it impossible to roll out and cut neatly. You'll probably just have to experiment.

Shamitha Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 12:05pm
post #5 of 11

I had this problem once. I put the gumpaste in the microwave on low for a few seconds . Took it out & gave it a good knead & it was good again. HTH

debster Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 12:57pm
post #6 of 11

It's super stiff, and I have carpal tunnel in both hands (trying to wait till January to have it fixed) so it's ruff for me to knead it. I'll try the micro then some crisco I guess. I'll let you all know what happens.

ibmoser Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:45pm
post #7 of 11

Aine2 was generous enough to post a video on smoothing gumpaste that may help. Check out

" rel="nofollow">

Won't help the carpal tunnel, but.....

debster Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:50pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks, I put it in the micorwave then added some crisco and it softened up. I'll check the video thanks.

FromScratch Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:55pm
post #9 of 11

You can put it in the micro for 5 second bursts and then when it's more pliable you can put some crisco on your hands and knead in that along with some water. You can mist it while it's in a zipper bag and let it sit and knead with well greased hands too. What recipe did you use? Sounds like you may have added too much powdered sugar or maybe there was a small hole in your bag.

disneynutbsv Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:29pm
post #10 of 11

I haven't taken the class yet, but love watching the videos!
I have a questionicon_smile.gif
What does she use for glue? In the videos she mentions glue, what is it?
Thanks!

FromScratch Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 10:06pm
post #11 of 11

The glue is for attaching pieces of gumpaste/fondant to otehr pieces of gumpaste/fondant.. you would mostly use it for figures and flowers. She make's it with a little tylose and water. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%