50 Cent To $1 A Cookie

Baking By sugarinspired Updated 1 May 2008 , 3:25am by leily

sugarinspired Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 5:43am
post #1 of 10

i live in orange county, ca. I still have a problem of pricing my cookies. i had a person that wanted to pay at first 50 cent a piece, than he tried to say ok how about a 1 when i said im willing to do it for 1.75. What a slap in the face. i though i was doing him a favor since i knew him. what am i suppose to do when i get into this position.

9 replies
JoAnnB Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 6:04am
post #2 of 10

It helps to not them tell you what they want to pay. Price typical cookies by the dozen or by the batch. Custom Decorated cookies can have a per cookie price, but unless you have a storefront, you should also have a minimum number.

I don't mess up my kitchen for less than $35.00

amastercreation Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 6:57am
post #3 of 10

Hey there fellow californian!

I've also been having a hard time pricing my cookies thinking that $3 for a 3" cookie was way too much to charge. But after breaking down the cost, it's true what everyone else says on CC "rule of thumb $1 per inch". 50 cents for decorated cookies will get you bite size cookies with a dot of RI.

People look surprised (especially my family!) when I tell them the cost, but I have to look at it as a business instead of a hand out. My time is limited and I can't keep making cookies all night long for little cost. It's still hard to tell my friends how much a cookie is and the split second of wondering how they're going to respond is nerve racking, but most of the time I get a good response and they're so happy with the end result.

OTS-do you have a shop? I'd love to visit it, i live in san bernardino county, not too far from orange county. I'm in the midst of finding a commerical kitchen to rent out in my area.

leily Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 11:30am
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarinspired

what am i suppose to do when i get into this position.

Tell them, With your price range you may want to try wal-mart or the local grocery store.

Hey if they can't afford you then they can't buy from you.

antonia74 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 11:51am
post #5 of 10

Hey, bargaining works for some things like buying houses or cars...but it's not always going to work on people's hobbies or small businesses. Don't feel flustered by it, it's him who should feel a bit embarrassed by having put you in the awkward position...not you!

First of all, never bluntly ask a client what they are prepared to pay unless you're at a flea market or on eBay! icon_lol.gif That's always going to be uncomfortable and they'll probably low-ball you. They can't understand the time and labour involved in making cookies and why would they unless they've tried their hand at it!

If they express interest in buying item A, for example, let them know it's $3 per cookie and you have a minimum order of a dozen OR you can offer them 24 cookies at a special price of $65. You don't even have to go into the "$1-an-inch-and-extra-for-added-detail" explanation. Keep it simple.

If they are surprised by the expense, I immediately ask them "What is your budget then?" If they say something like "$1 per cookie", you can let them know that that would get them the sugar cookie with a basic outline or something....not the labour-intensive fully-iced cookies you do. Hey, if that's okay with them, you've still made yourself a sale! icon_smile.gif If not, then they have to adjust the quantity they need or the budget they have alotted for the order. That's life!

indydebi Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 12:03pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarinspired

....i had a person that wanted to pay at first 50 cent a piece, than he tried to say ok how about $1... what am i suppose to do when i get into this position.

laugh out loud and say, "Oh, I thought you were SERIOUS about wanting a real cookie!"

I have found it helps when I tell people, "The base icing has to sit for 12 hours before I can add the top layer decorations, which ALSO has to sit for 12 hours." Whether they actually sit for 12 hours or not is immaterial ... it send that message that these cookies take a lot of time.

Ladivacrj Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 12:16pm
post #7 of 10

Wow, you really brought out the veterians with this one.

I agree with all of them, you have to make a price list and stick to it. Cookies, like a lot of the smaller things we make are very time consuming and labor intensive, and they cost money.

And just like everything else now prices are starting to go up.

sugarinspired Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 4:11pm
post #8 of 10

awww. thanks cc member for all the advice, also I don't have a store but hopefully in the future I can or even rent a kitchen. k.I.t. (:

MichelleM77 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 5:46pm
post #9 of 10

You can do it! Stick to your prices and don't let anyone make you budge.

You guys would be pround. I finally refused an order wtih a lady who called last night wanting me to do cookies for less than $1. I told her I couldn't, even if it's good exposure because she is using them for a large event with a lot of moms. Nope, can't do it. I've done too many things at a discount trying to get cheap advertising or exposure and it's not worth it to me.

leily Posted 1 May 2008 , 3:25am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

You can do it! Stick to your prices and don't let anyone make you budge.

You guys would be pround. I finally refused an order wtih a lady who called last night wanting me to do cookies for less than $1. I told her I couldn't, even if it's good exposure because she is using them for a large event with a lot of moms. Nope, can't do it. I've done too many things at a discount trying to get cheap advertising or exposure and it's not worth it to me.

Congratz Michelle!! That is a big step for anyone in business!

My favorite response to this is one of the following.
-- "I will charge $1 if you purchase everything on my list here then I will make them for you?" (and don't you love having them buy that 5lb bag when you'll only use 1/2? or the 3 dozen eggs... most people wouldn't believe the list if you gave it to them)
-- "I am sorry all of the money I have set aside for donations this year has been use, you may want to contact me earlier next year" I saw something simliar to this at a local restaurant and love it. Their's pretty much says that "We have our list of non-profit organizations that we support, if you would like donations please let us know and we will put you on the list if any other funds become available"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%