For All Chicago-Area Decorators Needing Supplies

Decorating By jonicca Updated 30 Apr 2008 , 5:52am by illini89

jonicca Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 4:36am
post #1 of 4

I don't know if I've been in this boat alone, but I have a hard time finding supplies. I live 5 minutes from the Wilton Store, so everything I see is Wilton. Everything else I've had to find online, pay for shipping, and wait for my products to arrive. Well. . .this morning I found a post from a year ago about a store on the south side called Cakewalk Chicago. I checked out their website, checked the hours, and went out for a visit. It's about 45 minutes away from me but so well worth the hike. They had everything that I had been looking at online. . . .with NO shipping costs!!! YEAH!!! They carry things like Satin Ice, Dixies Buttercream, Filling sleeves, Lorann Flavors, Americolor colors, Dummies, Cutters galore. . .I could go on and on! And the store wasn't that big, but they had everything! Oh, well let me clarify. . .they did NOT have a lot of Wilton products. Just some essentials. The owner told me that since Wilton was so readily available, that she wanted to concentrate on other things. They even hold classes. I just wanted to share this with anyone who has been frustrated as I have. I am just so happy to know that there IS life beyond Wilton!!! Here's the website for anyone interested.

http://www.cakewalkchicago.com/index.html

3 replies
JanH Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 5:15am
post #2 of 4

Hey, jonicca, you must be flying low if you can get from Darien to Oak Lawn area in 45 minutes.... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Thanks for the heads up on the shop. icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Would be tempted to make a trip if ALL the major expressways in my area weren't ALL under construction. icon_mad.gifthumbsdown.gif

BTW, you didn't happen to notice if they carried any brand of icing base, i.e. Brite White or Angel White, perhaps....

Boofycakes Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 5:39am
post #3 of 4

I've never been to Cakewalk, but I've always wanted to go there. I'm in the west suburbs, so its quite a distance for me too. It takes me about 30-40 min down 355 just to get to the Wilton store!

But we had guests from Cakewalk do a demonstration at a job fair event at the college that I went to. And it sounds like they have a lot of nice stuff.

illini89 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 5:52am
post #4 of 4

I am from chicago but live in germany. How I wish I could just drive down 355 and go to the wilton store or be able to check out the cakewalk place. Enjoy Ladies!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%