Design Advice (For This Weekend) Please--Sizing Help

Decorating By marthajo1 Updated 7 May 2008 , 2:22am by marthajo1

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:26am
post #1 of 13

I have a graduation cake to do this weekend. I really need it to WOW them as it can open a lot of doors to this whole "group". Plus it is one of my kitchen owner's best clients....

This is the sketch I did in my "head". I need to serve 65. So my questions are...

What sizes should I do? I think I have to do a 10" sq and an 8" round. This will give me 74 wilton servings.

Also how much would you upcharge on this tilty open hat box design from your standard rate? Mine is 3.50 for fondant. So I was thinking that it is worth at least another .50 a serving. maybe .75?

What do you guys think about the 2 different types of bows?

Should I try to do the paisley design or just do circles???

Thanks for sticking it out so long through my post!!
LL

12 replies
plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:40am
post #2 of 13

Well...hmmm... I think you might want to make the difference between the two cake sizes a little bigger... I think a 10" and an 8" are too close in size... If you look in my pictures you will see the one I did in the class with Sugarshack and it is a 12" round, and an 8" square... Just a thought...

Good luck! icon_smile.gif
Pat

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:52am
post #3 of 13

It's much different putting a square on a round than it is putting a round on a square. A 10" round will fit ontop of a 10" square.. there will be no room, but it'd fit. So with an 8" round on a 10" square you will have a 1" difference on each side. It'll look a little different than your drawing because I was playing with my dummies and a 6" would look more like what you drew, but an 8" will look okay ontop of the 10" icon_smile.gif

I would add at least 50 cents for a frustration charge.. was this a last minute order for you to not have the price set in stone already? I also like the paisley and would do that rather than dots. icon_smile.gif

marthajo1 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 4:26am
post #4 of 13

Thanks guys.

Jeanne- I got the order last week. But she (kitchen owner) just told me that they just wanted her to handle finding the cake. Some type of Graduation cake (College), colors are black and silver, 65 servings. I haven't actually talked with the graduate or mom at all. She basically just told me to do whatever I want. (i guess money is not really an object- But I am big into fair- for both of us.) It is just such an amazing opportunity to get in with this group of party people. I really want to wow them. icon_lol.gif

marthajo1 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 4:27am
post #5 of 13

Oh my gosh! I have a huge stack of dummies.... I have to go try it! icon_lol.gif I stacked pans completely forgetting about my dummies!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 10:41am
post #6 of 13

LOL.. I alwys play with my dummies while thinking out a cake design. Have fun and I can't wait to see what you end up doing! icon_smile.gif

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 12:08pm
post #7 of 13

It is a beautiful design and I don't mean to offend, but shouldn't there be something to indicate it is a graduation cake other than the colors. School logo or graduation cap or something. I guess I'm just old school. Maybe on top of the round tier you could put a grad cap or the school logo on the side of the square cake with the year. Just something to think about. Love the design though. The paisley is definitely more elegant.

marthajo1 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:31pm
post #8 of 13

Thank so much pjaycakes... I forgot about that! icon_lol.gif I actually am going to try and make a mortar board to lean against the side. Her invite were so cute. A square card with a black brad in the middle to make it look like a cap. Then a silver tassel hanging off! I am also going to make a "tag" to "tie" on the top bow that says Congratulation Breanne.

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:32pm
post #9 of 13

Sounds great. Can't wait to see the pic.

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 9:12pm
post #10 of 13

I love your design! Please post a pic when it's finished!

marthajo1 Posted 6 May 2008 , 11:39pm
post #11 of 13

okay guys I finished it. I wasn't able to do the topsy hat box design due to time constraints and too little sleep already! But they were really pleased and didn't know what I had been planning so it worked out great!

Here is a link to the cake.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1217590

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 7 May 2008 , 12:12am
post #12 of 13

Beautiful job!

marthajo1 Posted 7 May 2008 , 2:22am
post #13 of 13

Sorta directions for the tassel.

I made the fondant really soft with crisco and I think I added some tylose. Then I pressed it through my garlic press since I don't have a clay gun thing. I had to split the press in half to get the amount I needed. Then I folded over the top to make the loop and wrapped it with more fondant that I painted gold. I painted the tassle with the silver glaze. Have I mentioned I am totally in love with that stuff!???

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%