Baby Shower/firefighter????

Decorating By rmbias1 Updated 2 May 2008 , 1:08am by OCakes

rmbias1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rmbias1 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:41am
post #1 of 10

Ok, so I have to make a cake for a fire fighter themed baby shower. It has been left up to me to design. I was given a picture of the wallpaper border for inspiration. It has dalmations, fire trucks, hydrants, the usual, fire hats, boots, etc. I sort of have an idea but need some more inspiration.
My idea is to make hydrants, trucks, ladders, dalmations out of fondant. I would also like to have a hose that looks like it is spraying water up, like a fountain, but I am not sure what I should use to get that effect. Hope that makes sense. I want to lay a fondant baby on top of the water spray.
Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
TIA,
Michele B. in WV

9 replies
YummyFireMummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YummyFireMummy Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:58am
post #2 of 10

Don't have much help for you but your ideas sound gorgeous!! Love the baby on the water spray thing too! I'm interested in how to do it too....

OCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OCakes Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:59am
post #3 of 10

That is AWESOME! I LOVE that idea. I can't really help you from experience, however I've heard of molding chocolate, and depending on how large the water needs to be, maybe rice crispies? Or more fondant? That would take a lot of shaping... tinted white chocolate, but that may be too delicate... and if you haven't used luster dust, look into it. It can give a metallic shine, or at least a slight glitter/sparkle look - if you can do all this with fondant, you've probably used luster dust... I just wish I could help, this is going to be awesome! Good luck!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:01am
post #4 of 10

some ideas...

fire hydrant cake (tall stack of at least 4 to 6 layers (aka 2 to 3 tiers) w/ a carved down wondermold or soccer ball pan on top (match to size of rounds)

then could have hose, dalmatian wearing fire hat holding it and baby on top of spray.

or have dalmatian laying down w/ baby between paws. dog is holding an umbrella to protect from spray of hose wrapped around hydrant.
LL

OCakes Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:22pm
post #5 of 10

Those are really cool ideas Doug - the fire hydrant can look real, just slightly smaller than actual size.

About the water part of it, I keep thinking about this! Maybe it can be a non-edible item, like the fancy foil I use to cover my cake boards, they have it in blue. It can be rolled & turned, and then taped to a wire like making paper flowers... Hopefully some idea I say sparks a good idea for you. I just know your cake is going to be awesome!

rmbias1 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 4:26pm
post #6 of 10

Oh, now I am really excited. My head is spinning with ideas now that you guys have helped me out. Now I am thinking about using Doug's idea (thanks Doug) and maybe I can make the water spray out of rice crispies covered with royal icing so that I can get the effect I am looking for.
I have another question though. When you stack 4-6 layers of the same size on top of each other, do you put cake boards between every 2 and then dowel all the way through?
Thank you so much for your help.
Michele

creations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creations Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 5:46pm
post #7 of 10

hi, i was reading your post and i was thinking for the water affect you can use hard candy and melt it into long stringy , or make a hard candy by melting sugar to the hard candy boiling point and using a spoon drizzle over wax paper until harden . or colorful licorice just some ideas my brain is running good luck thumbs_up.gif

rmbias1 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 6:19pm
post #8 of 10

creations, that's a good idea. Couple of questions though. I have never made hard candy but I am willing to give it a try. Can I color it with food coloring or the icing colors? And could I possibly pour it over something to make it in a certain shape without it sticking (to remove the candy from the mold).

sweetviolent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolent Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 6:56pm
post #9 of 10

I am afraid the rice krispie idea would be to heavy- to have it in the air and upright-my thoughts are to make a flat topped ballon shaped smaller piece set it to dry on a dowel which you have covered in gumpaste to look like a hose with nozzle and all. this could then stick into the base or base cake. you could attatch the rest of the hose around the bottom.

you could also attatch flat water shaped sides to the top.

this would not be overly heavy and would allow a flat place to lay the baby
als0

if you use a pearlized dust in a pretty blue and steam the gumpaste it will have a nice shiny effect - or the pearl dusts will shimmer nicely if applied wet !

OCakes Posted 2 May 2008 , 1:08am
post #10 of 10

sweetviolet sounds like she "knows her stuff" & I'd go with her ideas! I haven't used rice krispies yet & cannot say if they're heavy, etc... but that makes sense after reading her comments. I'm taking myself off of this forum because I'm leaving at 4am for 5 days - but have fun with it & I hope you post a picture I can look-up later! ~Ciao~

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%