Barbie Doll Cake

Decorating By Bluesea Updated 2 May 2008 , 11:35am by Tona

Bluesea Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:33am
post #1 of 10

Hi,

I'm gonna attempt doing a barbie doll cake. Can someone please share tips or post the links please.

Thank you.

9 replies
MissMoore Posted 1 May 2008 , 3:53am
post #2 of 10

The only tip I would make sure you do is if you are using the doll cake pan, to brush Cake Release on the center post as well as on the sides.

Bluesea Posted 1 May 2008 , 11:17am
post #3 of 10

ok noted. thanks

shadow79 Posted 1 May 2008 , 11:50am
post #4 of 10

Here the link to the one I did. I didn't do the whole doll as you can see, but this is one of the cakes that I enjoyed doing the most! I covered mine in fondant. To make the dress stand out under the fondant (I guess you can call it the vertical ripples) I took fondant, rolled it into long strips & put it on after I did the crumb coat, then I put the fondant layer on for the skirt. The rest of the decor on the skirt is icing.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1190335.html

HTH & you have fun with this one!!

icon_biggrin.gif

DianeLM Posted 1 May 2008 , 12:57pm
post #5 of 10

If you're going to use an actual Barbie doll, you'll need an extra cake layer beneath the Wondermold cake to account for the extra height. A 9-inch round fits perfectly, or can be trimmed to fit.

Wrap the bottom half of the doll with plastic wrap (Saran). Before inserting the doll into the cake, 'core' the cake by removing some from the center. This will prevent the doll from causing the cake to crack when inserted.

If the doll's arms come off and go back on easily, you may want to remove the arms while working on the bodice.

There are a couple of doll cakes in my photos.

Have fun!

Bluesea Posted 2 May 2008 , 1:24am
post #6 of 10

[quote="shadow79"] To make the dress stand out under the fondant (I guess you can call it the vertical ripples) I took fondant, rolled it into long strips & put it on after I did the crumb coat, then I put the fondant layer on for the skirt. The rest of the decor on the skirt is icing.

shadow79, brilliant idea. thanks for the tip. your cake is so sweet & beautiful.

Bluesea Posted 2 May 2008 , 1:28am
post #7 of 10

[quote="DianeLM"]If you're going to use an actual Barbie doll, you'll need an extra cake layer beneath the Wondermold cake to account for the extra height. A 9-inch round fits perfectly, or can be trimmed to fit.
/quote]

thanks for the tip DianeLM. yes, am using the actual barbie doll. btw, can i ask u guys how you transport the barbie doll cake to the venue?? i am cracking my head on this....any tips will be very helpful.

thank you.

Monkess Posted 2 May 2008 , 3:05am
post #8 of 10

Attached is my barbie cake, I added a 12 inch base as they needed cake for more people. i am doing another one this weekend. It is much quicker to smoothe the buttercream and pipe boarders rather than doing stars the way i have done. My fav. colors are white dress with pink flowers and a green sash, with a straw hat from Michaels...a sor of Scarlett O'Hara look...Good luck! thumbs_up.gif
LL

Bluesea Posted 2 May 2008 , 3:43am
post #9 of 10

thatz a pretty cake. good job

Tona Posted 2 May 2008 , 11:35am
post #10 of 10

I love to do the doll cakes they are so much fun. I use the doll picks so much easier and I add a 8 inch cake to give the dress more height. Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%