Am I Horrible?

Decorating By isabelianico Updated 30 Apr 2008 , 3:52pm by isabelianico

isabelianico Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isabelianico Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:20am
post #1 of 25

I don't want any pity, just pure honesty...I get so frustrated with my husband because I can support him in any hobbie that he wants to try but when it comes to my cake decorating he doesn't support me or say anything at all. I just am wondering if I am any good at it and should even keep trying or if I should give it up all together. He never compliments me on it and I do have people come ask for cakes all the time but I look at the cakes on here and they are unbelievable and then I guess I am not so sure about mine. So since everyone here is very honest...I need your opinion on what I should do.

24 replies
shelbycompany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbycompany Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:30am
post #2 of 25

Your cakes are adorable. sometimes men don't realize they need to speak up and tell you your work is nice. My fiance tells me what I could have done diffrently to a perfectly good cake. Sometimes I wish he wouldn't say anything. Don't worry about this. Just keep on decorating thumbs_up.gif

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:32am
post #3 of 25

I say do what you want as long as you love it. I put it off for years because I didn't get any encouragement and regret it. It doesn't matter if husband doesn't support you. Mine doesn't either, I'm doing what I love finally. Do you stop him from what he likes to do? I would guess not. Anyway your work is lovely and as long as people that you do the cakes for love it what more could you ask for? Go for it!!!!! thumbs_up.gif Can't wait to see more of your work. icon_biggrin.gif

JenWhitlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWhitlock Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:33am
post #4 of 25

I think that your cakes are great! especially your last one! keep doing more you'll only get better!
you need to remember that most people haven't seen CC or any cakes like it.

I know exactly how you feel though, I'm going though some similar doubt. my last cake didn't stack up and I was looking at similar ones here, and ready to through in the towel.
I guess we all need some encouragement!

bigmama1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigmama1961 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:34am
post #5 of 25

I THINK YOU ARE VERY GOOD I LOOKED AT YOU PICS .I SAY NEVER HAVE SECOND TAUGHT ABOUT WHAT YOU WANT TO DO.NEVER LET ANYONE KEEP YOU FROM WHAT YOU LIKE DOING,SOME MEN DONT KNOW HOW YOU SHOW THERE WOW WITH WOMEN,BUT THEY WILL BRAGG ABOUT YOU WITH OTHERS.

JanetBme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetBme Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:34am
post #6 of 25

When it comes to men especially husbands and cake- most of them have no clue whatsoever- you see even if your cake is totally over the top- he probably doesn't know that every woman can't do it. He just assumes they all come equipped to do it naturally. I always hated when men picked up cakes- because it could be a jaw dropping incredible sculpture and most men say "oh nice"... so don't take it personally- maybe your husband just doesn't know how to support you or even how to know if your work is good or not. It took my husband years- now I wish he didn't know as much about cakes- because he'll walk in and tell me I need to fix something....

2Cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2Cupcakes Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:35am
post #7 of 25

I just looked at some of the cakes you've uploaded and I think you've done a very good job. I really like the flowers and trees on the 81st birthday cake. And your little caterpillar is cute.

I'm sorry your hubby isn't supporting you in this. My hubby is very sweet and patient with me during a cake decorating session. He's helped me transport them to the parties and gives me a pat on the back and a kiss on the forehead when it's all done. He's been really great. Esp when it comes to cleaning the frostings off the beaters.

Are you still on bedrest?

jeffer01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeffer01 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:36am
post #8 of 25

Big hugs to you!!!!! Please don't quit because of someone else. I looked at your cakes and wish I had your talent. icon_redface.gif Your baby shower cake is gorgeous!!!!!

My husband is the same way. He has no praise only criticism and smart remarks that are hurtful. It is hard to ignore, but I am trying to drown him out of my mind icon_twisted.gif .

If you love decorating, please continue, you have talent thumbs_up.gif and I don't want you to waste it. Many of us know how you feel and it is rough sometimes, but you would feel worse if you quit because of him.

I think it is a guy thing. I, like you, support his hobbies (that are VERY costly) and wish he did mine, but it just won't happen. So, know that CC loves you and encourages you to continue!!!! We want to see more creations!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

chinadoll652003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chinadoll652003 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:37am
post #9 of 25

Do you like what your doing? Of course you do!
It's only my opinion...but as long as your happy making cakes and like the way they look.. then don't worry about how anyone else feels about them!

I know I'm not as good as most on here, but ya know what? It doesn't matter! I love makeing and decorating cakes. I don't get alot of compliments from DH either. It's usually just a "looks nice" type of thing.

Do what makes you happy! As long as your happy why would you want to give it up?
Remember... just because one person doesn't have a lot to say about your cakes doesn't mean other people don't think they are great!!

As I said.. just my opinion.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:37am
post #10 of 25

i have been fortunate , that my husband has been very supportive for 12 years. he is very complimentive on my work, even though, sometimes, it's not my best work and i know it. anyway, please don,t stop doing what you love. men like what they like , and we like what we like. right? so KEEP ON KEEPING ON!

funbun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funbun Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:40am
post #11 of 25

I think you have real talent!

I know it is hard when you don't get the support at home but find your support in your clients and I bet your husband starts to compliment your work the minute he is told how great your cakes are. I know for me the support only started when someone said "Hey you are so lucky to have someone at home make such great cakes for you!!" And then they go "Oh yeah, I guess I do!. Sometimes they need a little shove (or kick in the a**) to get them to realize what an artist you are. icon_biggrin.gif

Keep doing what you love because you are good at it.
icon_biggrin.gif

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:41am
post #12 of 25

I looked at your pics, and it looks to me like you do a really nice job on them, especially the most recent ones. My cake making has really evolved since I started, so just keep doing them and trying new things and you'll get better all the time. If you're enjoying it, don't even think of giving it up!!! If people are asking for your cakes, then THEY MUST BE GOOD!! Don't be too intimidated by some of the cakes here. Some of these women are amazingly talented. Just try to learn from them.

As for husbands, who knows what goes on inside their heads? Have you told him it's important to you that you have his support for something that makes you so happy? He might just not realize that this means something to you. Maybe he wants to be protective of you in case someone doesn't like one of your cakes. Maybe he thinks you spend too much on supplies, or don't spend enough time doing things with him. Press him a little and see if you can get to the bottom of it.

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:47am
post #13 of 25

ooooooohhhh don't give up! I think your cakes look fabulous. The only way to get better is to keep working at it. I think that probably most of us second guess our cakes and how we are doing-at least I do. I only have 3 cakes that I am truly proud of, but I just keep on practicing and trying new things because I LOVE doing it. The only way I ever get a comment out of my husband is if I FISH for it. He never freely comments. I do think that's just men........ they don't understand that saying something nice about our decorating is a boost we need! I'll bet he's proud of you;just doesn't think to say it. Keep on decorating because you have talent and love to do it thumbs_up.gif

LiliS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LiliS Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:54am
post #14 of 25

I know how you feel. My DH has issues with my time spent decorating cakes. He even tells me my BC tastes like vomit icon_confused.gificon_surprised.gif

If you love what you do and it gives you pleasure, keep on doing it. Your cakes will get better with time and practise (and they are great now so it's only gonna get better!!!).

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:58am
post #15 of 25

Men! I know when I first started playing around with cakes that my dh was afraid that I would quit my job and try to do it as my career, b/c I commented how our area needs a good bakery. The only reason I even started decorating cakes is because my dd loves to help me in the kitchen, and I was tired of my cakes looking like crap. (Unfortunately, they still do)

Hang in there, and come to your fellow cc'ers if you need some honest feedback. You have some very cute cakes in your pics, and like others said, they are going to improve over time.

aliciababcock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciababcock Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:06am
post #16 of 25

I think your cakes are great. I am still at that point where I don't think my cakes are good, but I know that I enjoy it and that no one is perfect. I can be only me and I try to remember that some people have had years of practice and many courses to be as good as they are. I just strive to do my best on each cake and learn from each mistake. Don't doubt your talent...you are great.

smab109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smab109 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:11am
post #17 of 25

Dont dispair! Mine is the same way! I just gone finishing some highly detailed cookies (like my avatar) and he came by "Ohhhhh, WOW!!!! So imaginative! So creative! How on earth did you ever come up with that idea?" DRIPPING in sarcasm. Wanting to chop off his most prized possessions is a thought that frequently crosses my mind, lol.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:16am
post #18 of 25

You are off to a great start!! You have to remember that a lot of people on here are professionals who have been doing this much longer than you have. I'm sorry that your hubby isn't supportive like you want him to be. If you are happy doing it.. then keep it up! You have some great cakes already and you will only get better from here if you keep practicing. icon_smile.gif

isabelianico Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:28am
post #19 of 25

Wow, I just checked back on here not thinking that anyone would have replied. Thanks so much you guys, I guess that was just the boost I needed. You all have such amazing cakes and I guess I should look at it as something to work for right icon_smile.gif You all have been so helpful lending instructions when needed and I am so grateful to hear that I have some hope at being great right ha ha

2 Cupcake, I am off of bedrest and my baby girl was born on March 5th icon_smile.gif She was a healthy 7 lbs. 1 oz. so she decided to stay in there longer which was great, thanks for asking icon_smile.gif

jonicca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonicca Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:51am
post #20 of 25

tiny, please don't stop decorating if you enjoy it. Your cakes are great! Especially for you to be so new. My hubby is normally very encouraging and supportive, but this past weekend I was making 6 cakes. When I finished the first one I was so proud of it, I thought it came out so nice (it looks similar to your chocolate purse cake - blue concentric in my photos). He walked past and said, "So you just needed to practice?" I ALMOST got my feelings hurt, and I ALMOST kept that cake at home. But, I said forget him, I think it looks nice. When I took it to my children's cakewalk, people kept complimenting it and asking me if I was professional. I said no, but I didn't tell them that I just started in January. icon_wink.gif Bottom line is 1 person's opinion doesn't matter that much. . .even if its your husbands.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:22am
post #21 of 25

I think that you have to understand that men are wired differently. They don't see beauty in the same way we do and to most men, food is to eat, not be pretty. It is the way they are made.

We (cake decorators) get a certain thrill with making food lovely. I know that has been my attraction to decorated cakes since I was a little girl. Most men just don't understand that thrill and just really don't know what they are supposed to say. Plus, only we know the real work involved in creating our masterpieces. Even some customers really don't appreciate the work of art a cake can be. To a lot of people a cake is a cake.

So my advice is, forgive him. Don't expect or even try to get compliments or comments about your cakes. It is obviously something he isn't really interested in. That doesn't make him wrong, it just makes him "a man". icon_biggrin.gif

vteventrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vteventrider Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:40am
post #22 of 25

If decorating is a hobby that gives you happiness then keep doing it. Your cakes look great and even if they didn't there is no need to stop something you enjoy for anyone or anything! Besides with the skill you already show just imagine where you will go in your decorating from here. As for the insanely great cake decorators on this site...just keep picking their brains and then you too can become insanely great. thumbs_up.gif

lilmiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmiz Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 4:03am
post #23 of 25

My hubby is the same Its a man thing. But I know its just a man thing. A guy picked up a cake that I busted my tail on the other day and he was like "ok, thanks, bye" not even a smile or anything.

mommycakediva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommycakediva Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 4:10am
post #24 of 25

Sorry to hear your hubby isn't supporting your work! Your cakes are great!! With time and practice you can achieve anything! Don't let anyone get you down. I'm a very lucky person that my husband is sooo supportive, he lets me get any little tool I want, I just bought an airbrush. But the person who gets me down sometimes is my Grandma, she also makes cakes, but just basic ones! She is not willing to addmit that I do alright. She had actually never made a compliment until about 3 weeks ago. My dad asked if I could make her an anniversary cake, I was a little weary, but did it anyway. She actually came and gave me a hug and said thanks. It wasn't a compliment but it made my heart melt, that is the most emotion she has ever shown! So maybe it will just take awhile, so long as you enjoy what you are doing it will shine through and he will eventually see that! Hugs (())

isabelianico Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:52pm
post #25 of 25

Thanks so much guys. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who has ever dealt with this before. I love cake decorating and I love that feeling when you finish a cake and it turns out just the way that you want it. It is nice to have some support but if he's not going to give it, you guys are right...it only matters if it makes me happy! Thanks for backing me up guys, I really appreciate it icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%