Need Help Quick-Toba Garretts French Vanilla Bc

Decorating By kellycat102938 Updated 30 Apr 2008 , 12:34pm by kellycat102938

kellycat102938 Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 11:59pm
post #1 of 5

ok, I am in the process of making Toba Garretts French Vanilla Buttercream for the first time and am stuck at the first step. It says:
1. Make custard by heating milk and sugar until sugar crystals dissolve. Add flour and salt and whisk over an ice bath until the custard has cooled, or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1/2 hr to cool the mixture. Whisk in vanilla extract"

Should I get a custard when I heat the milk and sugar, or will I get a custard after adding flour and salt and letting it cool.

Thanks to anyone that replies

4 replies
daisy114 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 12:06am
post #2 of 5

Someone just gave me this recipe the other day! From what I can tell, you will get the custard after you add the flour and refrigerate.

Please let me know how it comes out! I hear it tastes like whipped cream.

Cakepro Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:55am
post #3 of 5

The flour acts as the thickener, which combined with the heat, will produce a custard.

One of my cake students tonight raved about this buttercream!

kellycat102938 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 12:32pm
post #4 of 5

Cakepro: I added the flour and it did thicken a little, but did not turn out to be what I would consider a custard which is thick. Does yours turn out thick? It was yummy to me. I haven't iced or tasted it with cake yet, and that will be the true test

kellycat102938 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 12:34pm
post #5 of 5

Daisy: I had a few problems along the way, not sure if I ever did get a custard or not. Mine wasn't really thick. I did like the taste and would recommend it. I have been told that before eating it you need to bring it to room temperature for a better taste. Hope that helps and if you make it let me know how it turned out and if you liked it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%