Curly Hair

Decorating By valerie01 Updated 1 May 2008 , 5:56pm by KathysCC

valerie01 Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 11:19pm
post #1 of 7

I'm trying to make curly hair using buttercream, but all I end up with is a pile of squiggles. Any suggestions? Thanks!

6 replies
KathysCC Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 11:31pm
post #2 of 7

I use a tip two or three and for small figures and make ringlets that go down the head, giving the person a part and bangs. You can fill in later if you have any "bald" spots. Having curly hair myself maybe helps! icon_biggrin.gif Curly hair isn't just one long squiggle. Think of making the hair one curly strand at a time and maybe that will help.

Several of my kids have curly hair on the pool cake I just uploaded today. Not sure if you can see it or not.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1215190

mommycakediva Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 11:39pm
post #3 of 7

Have you ever used fondant, it would be much easier to make curly hair?

valerie01 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:47am
post #4 of 7

KathysCC - your cake is so cute!! I will try your method, but maybe with a slightly larger tip since I need to make a lot of hair. I think the volume of hair needed is partly why it looks like a pile of squiggles to me. Do you use a thin consistency or something stiffer that gives more definition to each strand?

Mommycakediva - I would prefer to make the curls with fondant, but the customer wants all bc.

Thank you both!

KathysCC Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:57am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by valerie01

Do you use a thin consistency or something stiffer that gives more definition to each strand?

If you need a lot of hair. make one layer of ringlets and then another layer on top of that. That will make a really cute poofy hairdo.

I use a little stiffer icing, like what you would use to make roses. Stiff so it holds but not so stiff that it cracks. Let us know here on the thread when you post your cake picture. Would love to see it.

valerie01 Posted 1 May 2008 , 5:17pm
post #6 of 7

Here's the cake. Since the hair is blond, I put a layer of yellow underneath the curls, so I wouldn't have to fill in later. Thanks for the help!
LL

KathysCC Posted 1 May 2008 , 5:56pm
post #7 of 7

Oh her curls came out cute! icon_biggrin.gif That was a good idea to put yellow underneath. You did a great job!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%