Need Advice..about Small Cake

Decorating By wgoat5 Updated 1 May 2008 , 8:11pm by sarahnichole975

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 10:47pm
post #1 of 16

See I am having to do a cake for a lady.. it's for her dh's 50th birthday.. she wanted a hiking boot because he loves hiking (hate this cake).. wants it to serve 25... (did I say I HATE THIS CAKE) ... this cake is NOT going to serve 25. I called her and told her to make it look real the cake wasn't going to be huge. At best the cake would serve maybe 18. Did she want another one.. She said how much would that be... I told her well double. (my time is worth just as much as hers GEEZ) .. but I think it is a steal!!! 2 carved boots, covered in chocopan dark chocolate and carmel fondant and candy clay sole. NOT to mention the chocolate ganche bc in the middle! And all that work!!! For 130.00!!! but nope.. she just wants 1 ... so I was filling the cakes to carve today and thought about making a small amount of cupcakes to give to the lady.. now .. is this wrong of me? Do I need to quit doing this? Should I have just remembered that she said she didn't want another cake... and that obviously she doesn't care if everybody doesn't get a piece?

What would you all do? Would you give her the 12 cupcakes.. or keep them in the freezer till someone else wants them? I wasn't going to decorate them.. just a swirl... like you would do a kitchen cake for cutting.

Thank you for your input... (btw my DH's opinion was.. I was wasting money.. that if she doesn't care about her guests then we shouldn't care, but this is my name!!!)

Oh yes and I HATE THIS CAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15 replies
akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 11:06pm
post #2 of 16

Well, I like to do an extra special something for people if I can. However, this lady might think she can always underorder cake and you'll make up the difference for her. So I wouldn't give her the cupcakes. You already told her there wouldn't be enough servings of cake.

BTW, it does sound like a good deal. I can only find one place here that carries chocopan and man is it pricey! I think materials alone wouldn't be covered with $65.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 11:17pm
post #3 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by akgirl10

However, this lady might think she can always underorder cake and you'll make up the difference for her. So I wouldn't give her the cupcakes. You already told her there wouldn't be enough servings of cake.

Absolutely agree. Be careful what you teach your customers.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:40pm
post #4 of 16

Don't be surprised when you deliver the cake if you see a sheet cake from Sam's or the grocery store.

wgoat5 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:46pm
post #5 of 16

OH you got to be kidding? Really? I think I will walk right out with my cake!!! SERIOUSLY!

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:53pm
post #6 of 16

I agree, it's probably not a good idea to "teach" her to order less and expect you to make up the difference for free.

BYW, I love the cake in your avatar picture!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:54pm
post #7 of 16

I would too. I have people sign an exclusivity clause so they understand this. NO way my cake is going to be served with a walmart cake.

I'd just give her the boot (pun intended icon_lol.gif ) like she ordered. No cupcakes.

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:55pm
post #8 of 16

What about giving her the pieces of cake that were carved from the boot (if the pieces arenât too messy)? MY SIL purchased a carved football cake recently and the bakery gave her all the extra pieces. The pieces were odd shaped and not pretty at all, but they tasted the same as the main cake.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:55pm
post #9 of 16

Did you give her the option of cupcakes to make up the difference? Maybe she'd be willing to add a dozen cupcakes(or however many) to the order.

That way you'd know whether to freeze and save or sell them to her.

I wouldn't add them in without her paying for them for the reasons stated by PPs.

wgoat5 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 4:19pm
post #10 of 16

Well I gave this lady options.. and she said she no.. so with that said I guess I will not give her the cupcakes.. You all are definately right.. I do not want to get this started.. the giving of free cupcakes stuff... I told her and if she is upset then well she's upset. And I won't leave my cake there if there are other cake... I tell all of my customers this so she knows. But.. doesn't mean she won't have one hiding somewhere. icon_sad.gif

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 7:36pm
post #11 of 16

Don't you dare bring her cupcakes OR I'M HOPPING A PLANE...to come smack ya. You've told her and given her options and bottom line, debi's right, if you teach her she can under order and you'll make up the difference, then she'll look for that in the future. If she's got another cake there, bring that boot to NOLA, we'll get a daiquiri and eat it.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 8:27pm
post #12 of 16

Ya know what? I hate that cake too!!!!

Hmm, I agree don't get them used to something for nothing! But i'm confused as to whether she ordered a hiking boot for 25 and when it was carved, it only came out to 18, or if she only ordered for 18 and had 25 guests?

If she ordered 25 and the finished cake served 18, I might make up the difference in cupcakes...
edited to add: but she'd only get 7 and nothing fancy! icon_smile.gif

Now if she knew the cake would only serve 18, no way would she get cupcakes - no cupcakes for you!!

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 8:34pm
post #13 of 16

Not only do I hate the cake but I hate her cheap @$$ as well.

So there.

wgoat5 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 10:50pm
post #14 of 16

She said that she wanted something to look like her DH's hiking boot.. around the same size maybe bigger.. well.. it won't serve 25 icon_sad.gif ...

LMAO unless her DH's shoe is a size 14 icon_biggrin.gif

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 1 May 2008 , 2:38am
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

then she needn't be worrying about cake!

Chutzpah - you crack me up!

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 1 May 2008 , 8:11pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

then she needn't be worrying about cake!

LMAO...THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I THOUGHT. icon_lol.gificon_eek.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%