Wedding Cake For 60 Guests

Decorating By ericaann79 Updated 1 May 2008 , 4:09am by MystiqueFire

ericaann79 Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 10:04pm
post #1 of 9

I had a friend come to me yesterday saying that her roomate is engaged and is looking for someone to do her cake. She is only having 60 people attend the wedding. I have decided that I will charge $3.50 per slice for this fondant covered cake - which is quite reasonable, I just got married and the cheapest fondant covered cake I could find was $4.50 per slice. The problem is - what size pans do I use? If it was me I would do a 14", 10" and a 6" which would serve 118 in round or 166 in square. I don't want to make this only 2 tiers...that doesn't seem like a big enough cake for a wedding...or would you just go with a 10", 8" 6" cake? And is my fee reasonable? Only $210 for a wedding cake???

8 replies
kelleym Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 10:33pm
post #2 of 9

A 14", 10", 6" would leave you with quite a lot of extra cake if there are only 60 servings cut. I have made a wedding cake with an 11", 8", 5" round, and it looks very nice, and serves either 50 or 60, depending if the top tier is cut or not.

I think your price is very fair from your description of the prices in your area. icon_smile.gif

KoryAK Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 10:40pm
post #3 of 9

Well, does she want to save the top tier or do we want the whole thing to serve 60 (and of course charge for all the servings either way)

indydebi Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 11:58pm
post #4 of 9

Small weddings have small cakes. Sorry....that's just how it works.

If you really really want 3 tiers or want a cake that looks grand, you could consider a styrofoam tier.

julzs71 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 12:11am
post #5 of 9

what about a 10, 8, 6.

FromScratch Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 12:22am
post #6 of 9

I would suggest a 6-8-10 also.. That's 68 servings by Wilton (60 by mine). That will look nice. icon_smile.gif

dinas27 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 12:30am
post #7 of 9

a 6,8,10 is a great combination... it's a very modern look though and leaves little room for flowers to be placed on the ledge. Here is a great example... near the botton chocolate with white fondant dots.

It would also look great with spaces left for flowers in between (more traditional look)

Ultimately let the bride decide, she can either get the 6,8,10 which is VERY close to the number of servings she needs (if she is not saving the top tier) OR pay for the cake she wants. if she is still in the compiling the guest list stage that number might grow too!
I think your pricing is fine, its whatever you are comfortable with and sounds reasonable for your area.

msmeg Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:47pm
post #8 of 9

10 8 and 6 is perfect she is not going to want to pay for 2x the cake needed ( 11icon_cool.gif servings if she only needs 60 servings.

if she or her mother own a silver pedestal cake stand that would add a lovely lift to the cake and make it look larger.

MystiqueFire Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:09am
post #9 of 9

I usually add on an extra 10 slices or so, only because I know some people are NOT qualified to cut a cake. I like the dummy tier idea, but you might want to suggest doing the extra cake to the bride-to-be. When my brother got married there were only about 80 guests and they had a 5 tiered cake, the top for their 1st anniversary. They didn't mind paying extra so that everyone could at least enjoy the cake... it looked a lot better, too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%