Help Buying Molds - Which One?

Decorating By MacsMom Updated 30 Apr 2008 , 2:11am by crazy4sugar

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 10:02pm
post #1 of 5

I was about to place an order with FirstImpressions.com for sea shell molds, and then I decided to look for less expensive molds...

Can I have your opinions on types of molds? The plastic molds are only $2 each (I went to PastrySampler.com ), but do they hold up?

TIA!!

4 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 11:29pm
post #2 of 5

It's a toss-up.

The chocolate molds (clear plastic) won't be as finely detailed as the silicone molds from First Impression.

That said, you can get a nice selection of the plastic for the cost of 1 from FI.

I guess it depends on how often you'll use them, how much detail you desire, and if you'd ever want to use something hotter than chocolate (like poured sugar) in the mold--if you do, you need the FI silicone molds to take that much heat.

For things that I don't plan to use often, I buy the chocolate molds. If it's something really special or intricate, I buy the FI silicone molds.

HTH
Rae

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:22am
post #3 of 5

Thanks! Great info. I bought First Impression for detailed shells. But 3 for $28 killed me!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:04am
post #4 of 5

Yes they cost, but that is because they are food safe silcone. They last a really long time. You will get many uses out of them.

I like them better than the hard plastic molds because you can use them for chocolate, fondant or gumpaste. With the fondant and gumpaste they make it easier to get it out of the mold. icon_smile.gif

crazy4sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4sugar Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:11am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

For things that I don't plan to use often, I buy the chocolate molds. If it's something really special or intricate, I buy the FI silicone molds.

This is what I do thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%