Sugar Flowers: Cutters, Quick Roses And Video Tutorials

Decorating By CakeDiva73 Updated 29 Apr 2008 , 11:11pm by dragonflydreams

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 9:56pm
post #1 of 4

I am getting totally obsessed with sugar flowers...... I am dreaming about them at night, petals and roses and blindly nodding as my daughters tells me about this funny part in a book she is reading - in my mind, I am forming petals and trying to get the curls just so. WTH is wrong with me?

icon_smile.gif so the sugar-flower-fairy has bitten me! Which is fine, but now I have some questions. My roses are taking forever and a flippin' day to get them done right. I am trying to decide which cutter to get - 5 petal? Metal? The pink plastic one? Or do I try the funky, wavy one with 9 or 10 petals all on a row?

Is there a free site, perhaps videos that show how to make these? (no laughing!) I can't afford to take the $85 class at the cake store and I certainly cannot afford the $1000 to get all of the Scott Wooley Clark DVD's. (insert 'holy cr*ps' & 'You have got to be kidding me's' here)

There is a channel on YouTube where a delightful woman shows you how to do roses and a couple of others but I didn't know if there were some other ones that had little videos/instructions...... (****Total sidenote: Have you all discovered the gentle, relaxing melody of listening to Aine's videos? Oh, how I love to hear her talk!!)

Has anyone seen a metal cutter that is basically about 5"-6" long, slightly rectangular in shape with identical scallop cuts along the longer sides? Is this to make roses? Do you slice the gumpaste in half first or fold it over? Could I possibly have any more questions than I have already asked? lol icon_smile.gif thanks

3 replies
dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 10:11pm
post #2 of 4

. . . I can't be much help . . . but here is a "short but sweet" and "price is right" tutorial . . .

http://www.wildflowersbylori.com/Meet%20Lori.htm

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 11:03pm
post #3 of 4

Wow, thanks for the site. Her flowers are wonderful and boy oh boy would I love to take that 2500.00 class, lol I'm dreaming right!!!

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 11:11pm
post #4 of 4

. . . your welcome . . . and ya, in my dreams too . . .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%