Tell Me About Sam's Club Buttercream

Decorating By deeb173 Updated 30 Apr 2008 , 2:28pm by Sunflower08

deeb173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deeb173 Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 9:25pm
post #1 of 13

I was thinking of trying it. I called Sam's bakery to see if they just sell the hi-ratio shortening and the girl on the phone had NO clue as to what I was talking about. (Guess you don't have to be a decorator to work in the bakery.) So I just asked if they sold the buttercream. So I was wondering about taste, texture, etc. to see if this is an option for me. Have any of you tried it?

12 replies
Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 9:40pm
post #2 of 13

You mean the BC that they use in the bakery to frost their cakes? Or do you mean a specific brand that they sell in their store?

deeb173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deeb173 Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 9:43pm
post #3 of 13

The kind they use to frost their cakes. She said they sell it by the tub.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 9:44pm
post #4 of 13

I saw a big tub of that stuff waiting for someone to pick it up once, but it was labelled "but-r-creme," so I think they do sell it. With that name, though, I don't think I'd put it on my cakes!

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 9:49pm
post #5 of 13

I have had Sams Club cakes before. Umm, its made with shortening, no real butter or butter flavoring. Its awfully sweet in my opinion, and just a tad on the greasy side to me. It definetly tastes like a store bought icing. I guess nothing beats homemade icing to me. How much is in a tub, and how much do they sell it for if you dont mind my asking?

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 10:05pm
post #6 of 13

I don't know if they sell it but I wouldn't use it on any of my cakes, the greasy, super sweet taste of it is one of the 2 reasons why I don't like sam's cakes, the second.......is the cake itself, LOL icon_lol.gif I guess I can't make it more clear....I don't like those cakes!!! thumbsdown.gif

CoutureCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCakeCreations Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 11:17pm
post #7 of 13

I see alot of people dont like it but I for one love it. It is super smooth (take a look of my most recent cakes in my gallery). It is such a time saver to not have to make icing. I dont think it is too sweet and have not had any complaints. All of my customers love it so far.

paula1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula1234 Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 11:22pm
post #8 of 13

I buy it all the time. It also comes in chocolate buttercream. I also make my own. I live in Georgia and our nearest Sam's is in Chattanooga. There it sells for around 25 dollars for the 28 pound bucket, the chocolate is around 26 dollars for a bucket. At one time I was using CK icing but it was too expensive it was like 65 dollars for 25 bucket.

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 11:22pm
post #9 of 13

It tastes pretty good for my taste, people seem to like it too. Besides it whitstands the desert heat very well, is the kind I had to use last summer because everything else was melting on me.
And they sell it in big tubs. not that much expensive either.

jenny518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenny518 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:42am
post #10 of 13

I like it, and it is my back up icing when I don't have time (or want) to make icing. It makes roses like no recipe I have (no feathering or torn edges). You can add flavorings like any other icing. I've also added cocoa powder and a little milk to make the white into chocolate, and that was tasty. Everytime I make a cake and ice it with Sam's icing, people rave about it. I now realize that usually people hate Sam's/Wal Mart cakes because of the dry gross cake, not the icing...

It's up to you, though. I believe someone once told me they will let you try a sample taste before buying the huge bucket.

Karabear1125 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karabear1125 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 12:19pm
post #11 of 13

I just bought a tub of it last week, I actually LOVE how smooth I can get my cakes compared to when I make my own icing, it takes me less time with Sam's for some reason.

It is super sweet to me, but I've never had a complaint when I use it, only raves. On the other hand, I sorta feel like a 'fraud' when I use it on my cakes since it's not really MY icing, but I guess that's normal? lol ..

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:08pm
post #12 of 13

I love it. I rarely make my own now that I can get it in a big bucket and not have to deal with the clean-up and stuff. I also find I'm more likely to make a cake just for fun, as opposed to for an order, if I have the icing already on hand.

I remember someone once asking Than Than what icing she uses, and she replied that she uses Sam's. That's a ringing endorsement in my book!

Deanna

Sunflower08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunflower08 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:28pm
post #13 of 13

I also use this icing and I think its great to work with!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%