Tell Me About Sam's Club Buttercream

Decorating By deeb173 Updated 30 Apr 2008 , 2:28pm by Sunflower08

deeb173 Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 9:25pm
post #1 of 13

I was thinking of trying it. I called Sam's bakery to see if they just sell the hi-ratio shortening and the girl on the phone had NO clue as to what I was talking about. (Guess you don't have to be a decorator to work in the bakery.) So I just asked if they sold the buttercream. So I was wondering about taste, texture, etc. to see if this is an option for me. Have any of you tried it?

12 replies
Jayde Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 9:40pm
post #2 of 13

You mean the BC that they use in the bakery to frost their cakes? Or do you mean a specific brand that they sell in their store?

deeb173 Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 9:43pm
post #3 of 13

The kind they use to frost their cakes. She said they sell it by the tub.

costumeczar Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 9:44pm
post #4 of 13

I saw a big tub of that stuff waiting for someone to pick it up once, but it was labelled "but-r-creme," so I think they do sell it. With that name, though, I don't think I'd put it on my cakes!

Jayde Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 9:49pm
post #5 of 13

I have had Sams Club cakes before. Umm, its made with shortening, no real butter or butter flavoring. Its awfully sweet in my opinion, and just a tad on the greasy side to me. It definetly tastes like a store bought icing. I guess nothing beats homemade icing to me. How much is in a tub, and how much do they sell it for if you dont mind my asking?

miny Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 10:05pm
post #6 of 13

I don't know if they sell it but I wouldn't use it on any of my cakes, the greasy, super sweet taste of it is one of the 2 reasons why I don't like sam's cakes, the the cake itself, LOL icon_lol.gif I guess I can't make it more clear....I don't like those cakes!!! thumbsdown.gif

CoutureCakeCreations Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 11:17pm
post #7 of 13

I see alot of people dont like it but I for one love it. It is super smooth (take a look of my most recent cakes in my gallery). It is such a time saver to not have to make icing. I dont think it is too sweet and have not had any complaints. All of my customers love it so far.

paula1234 Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 11:22pm
post #8 of 13

I buy it all the time. It also comes in chocolate buttercream. I also make my own. I live in Georgia and our nearest Sam's is in Chattanooga. There it sells for around 25 dollars for the 28 pound bucket, the chocolate is around 26 dollars for a bucket. At one time I was using CK icing but it was too expensive it was like 65 dollars for 25 bucket.

Solecito Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 11:22pm
post #9 of 13

It tastes pretty good for my taste, people seem to like it too. Besides it whitstands the desert heat very well, is the kind I had to use last summer because everything else was melting on me.
And they sell it in big tubs. not that much expensive either.

jenny518 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:42am
post #10 of 13

I like it, and it is my back up icing when I don't have time (or want) to make icing. It makes roses like no recipe I have (no feathering or torn edges). You can add flavorings like any other icing. I've also added cocoa powder and a little milk to make the white into chocolate, and that was tasty. Everytime I make a cake and ice it with Sam's icing, people rave about it. I now realize that usually people hate Sam's/Wal Mart cakes because of the dry gross cake, not the icing...

It's up to you, though. I believe someone once told me they will let you try a sample taste before buying the huge bucket.

Karabear1125 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 12:19pm
post #11 of 13

I just bought a tub of it last week, I actually LOVE how smooth I can get my cakes compared to when I make my own icing, it takes me less time with Sam's for some reason.

It is super sweet to me, but I've never had a complaint when I use it, only raves. On the other hand, I sorta feel like a 'fraud' when I use it on my cakes since it's not really MY icing, but I guess that's normal? lol ..

TooMuchCake Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:08pm
post #12 of 13

I love it. I rarely make my own now that I can get it in a big bucket and not have to deal with the clean-up and stuff. I also find I'm more likely to make a cake just for fun, as opposed to for an order, if I have the icing already on hand.

I remember someone once asking Than Than what icing she uses, and she replied that she uses Sam's. That's a ringing endorsement in my book!

Sunflower08 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:28pm
post #13 of 13

I also use this icing and I think its great to work with!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%