Girl Scout Gold Award Cake

Decorating By Joy2501 Updated 29 Apr 2008 , 9:39pm by karateka

Joy2501 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joy2501 Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 9:25pm
post #1 of 2

I need to make a large sheet cake (carrot & cream cheese) for a gold award ceremony next week. The cake will be 11 x 15 x 4 or 12 x 18 x 4. I need to do lettering on it and replicate the gold award. Here is where I need help.

1. I need a recipe that is going to make the right amount of batter. I don't have time to make extra cakes if the layers are too thin.

2. How much Icing will I need?

3. Is there a way to make cream cheese icing gold? The lettering and the logo (I was thinking FBC) needs to be gold. I usually use the crusting cream cheese recipe.

Thanks for any suggestions.

1 reply
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 9:39pm
post #2 of 2

Do you have a Cake Bible? She has a great chart in there regarding sizing for certain cake pans, and another just frosting chart. For a half sheet, which is a 12x18, you need the equivalent batter of 2 9in round 2 layer cakes. For frosting I'll need to check that chart.....

For making the icing gold, I'd airbrush it with gold luster dust if possible. If not, using a yellow gold might be the only option. Unless you can make the emblem out of fondant or RI and paint it on with a paintbrush, using vodka or extract to make a paint consistency. The lettering could also be done with fondant or RI and painted. I've not tried painting crusting buttercream. I don't know how that would work out.

Lemme see....icing for a 12x18 in cake, 1 layer, is 6 cups. Plus extra for any decorations. This should be enough for borders. If making a 2 layer sheet cake, add 4 cups for going between the layers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%