Choco-Pan And Satin Ice

Decorating By punkiin Updated 30 Apr 2008 , 2:34am by punkiin

punkiin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkiin Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 8:34pm
post #1 of 7

I'm getting ready to try the Choco-Pan and Satin Ice. Can you color it like you do Wilton ready made fondant????

6 replies
deeb173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deeb173 Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 8:41pm
post #2 of 7

Satin Ice is great. It seems a little more gooey than the Wilton stuff, but they have a great red and black. I just tried the choco-pan but I didn't color it. It was for a wedding cake. I did notice it seemed to tear easily. So what I did was mix the choco-pan with some MMF to make it more pliable and not tear. It worked great and still tasted good.

jeking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeking Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 8:50pm
post #3 of 7

I've never tried Choco-pan but have read here that it is much softer and doesn't color as well. Again, not my experience.

Iuse Satin Ice and absolutely wouldn't change for anything! It colors easily, rolls out great without sticking, doesn't tear easily, etc. I think you'll like it.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 9:00pm
post #4 of 7

Satin Ice takes color well. Ive never tried to color Choc-pan but I do know that it doesnt work well with humidity. It will tear and give you a problem if you dont chill your cake.

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 10:38pm
post #5 of 7

chocopan is made from chocolate and it melts in your hands or gets really soft. In my experience it doesn't hold its shape well it doesn't harden... it stays soft. I use it for polka dots on cakes and stuff like that. I find it doesn't take color as well as SI.... although I usually airbrush my color in. If I were choosing between the 2 and was only buying one I would buy satin ice all the way.. HTH, oh and satin ice can be bought precolored icon_smile.gif

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 11:48pm
post #6 of 7

Yah, I agree Sugarbakerz. I always had to put anything I made into the fridge to harden. I use it more for accents also. Like my pumpkin cakes it works well for the stem since its already a brown color. I mold it and stick it in the fridge to get hard and then its fine once it sets up. But I tried to use it to cover whole cakes and it stretches and it really is a pain to work with. Seen in a couple of FN Challenges that people like Colette and Norm Davis also had the same problems with it.

punkiin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkiin Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:34am
post #7 of 7

Thank you all for your help. I actually ordered both in 2# pails so I will use the choco for dots and things like that and try SI for everything else. I can't wait to get them....since the only thing I've used is the Wilton.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%