Kitchen Being Inspected On Thursday - What Do I Need

Business By cakesbycathy Updated 21 May 2008 , 5:32pm by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 8:08pm
post #1 of 13

to do and ask to prepare for this? Besides scrubbing my kitchen until it shines, that is icon_razz.gif
I have fish, no other pets. The tank is on one of the kitchen counters, but in a corner. Will this be a problem do you think? I have a double oven, not a commercial oven, so I should be ok right? No carpet in the kitchen. Dh is taking the kids out for breakfast.

Are there any questions I should ask the inspector when he comes? He was very nice over the phone, even mentioned that I was fine operating under the cottage food laws for now. I want to do more wedding cakes and will be doing a bridal show in the fall, so I think it may sound better that I have a licensed and inspected kitchen.

Feeling nervous icon_surprised.gif

12 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 11:30pm
post #2 of 13

pre-congrats on getting legal! It will not only help with brides, but many venues will not permit a non-licensed cake in their facility so this will open many many doors for you! thumbs_up.gif

Each inspector is different, but what mine checked was if the water was hot in the hand washing sinks (and mine was TOO hot and I had to adjust the water heater); temperature gauges and control in the 'frig and freezers (making sure foods are stored properly) thumbs_up.gif They made sure I had hand washing sinks, paper towels at the handwashing sink and hand soap dispensers, a mop sink, a 3-compartment sink, checked the dishwasher temp, 'frig temp, freezer temp, checked the rubber seal on the freezer doors.

cakesbycathy Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:18am
post #3 of 13

OMG!
Thank you Indydebi!!

Of course, now I'm even more nervouse icon_biggrin.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:31am
post #4 of 13

Did the inspection take place yet? How did it go?

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 5:35am
post #5 of 13

don't forget the bleach for the rinsewater.

I dunno if it was me, i'd move the fish, i know my inspector wouldn't like it.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 6:32am
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecake

don't forget the bleach for the rinsewater.

I dunno if it was me, i'd move the fish, i know my inspector wouldn't like it.

Okay, I've been reading my state's requirements for opening up a food retail business and that was mentioned (the bleach or other sanitizing agent to be used in rinsewater). Stupid statement/question now: what exactly does this entail? How does it work? Can I just use a regular dishwasher and purchase the sanitizing rinse agent or are only commercial ware washers able to be used? How does this work manually in the three compartment sink?

Never having worked in a commercial kitchen I'm getting into foreign territory here. (I hope this is still inline with CakesbyCathy's concerns and that I'm not hijacking this thread.)

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 6:46am
post #7 of 13

we can use bleach here

thats why the 3 sinks...one for soapy water...one for bleach water , one for clear water.

some places make you have PH strips to test the water...i don't have to.

here you can't use a home type dishwasher either...i got one though...to pre rinse all that dang grease off...he says something about it every time...then i tell him i pre rinse...then it's a-ok...my guy is pretty cool....i hope i don't ever get a new one.....after some of the horror stories i've heard

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 7:10am
post #8 of 13

Just found this nn ehow

Check the health inspector's credentials before you allow him or her into your kitchens.

Post hand washing signs in all restrooms.

Don't offer food or anything else to the health inspector. This may be construed as a bribe.

Walk with the health inspector during the actual inspection. Take notes and ask questions about what the inspector is doing. Fix a problem when it's simple and can be remedied immediately.

Review your local health code for any special, local requirements.

If you don't understand the violation, ask the health official to explain. Don't be confrontational.

If you disagree with the inspector's findings, keep quiet for the time being and appeal the decision later. Your health inspector should be your ally. He or she can improve the quality of your cuisine and save you from the devastation of a foodborne-illness incident.

I found a samle inspectors form from Georgia, I know not your state or mine, but it might be helpful to do a self run through before your real inspection.

http://health.state.ga.us/pdfs/environmental/Food%20Inspection%20Form.pdf

good luck

cakesbycathy Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:32pm
post #9 of 13

Thanks for all your responses!

Anyone else in OH do this? I know you're out there!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 20 May 2008 , 12:45pm
post #10 of 13

I know this is late, but.......

So how did your inspection go? I'm operating under the (legal in Ohio) cottage food laws for now, but am always looking to hear the stories of those that have gone and gotten inspected.

cakesbycathy Posted 21 May 2008 , 4:52pm
post #11 of 13

I totally fogot I posted this LOL

I passed!
Thanks to everyone for their advice BTW. This was my home kitchen that I had inspected. After spending 5 hours cleaning (you could have licked any surface in there I swear icon_biggrin.gif ), the inspector took a look around and said "looks good." Can't believe I made myself crazy over that.

The inspector was super nice and had good advice for me.

Michelle, I was also operating under cottage rules. I decided to go ahead and get licensed because I want to start doing more weddings and I think it sounds more professional to say that I operate out of a licensed and inspected kitchen.

I did a cake for my kids' school (they had a baby shower for their teacher) and when the other moms and teachers asked, it really did sound more professional to say I had a "licensed home bakery." Plus, it is only $10 for the year. I would totally reccomend it for any OH baker that wants to do this as more than a hobby.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 21 May 2008 , 5:24pm
post #12 of 13

I wish I could, but hubby and kiddo just had to get a four-legged monster, so I don't qualify now.

Congrats on passing!

I'm in CF now, but I grew up in Bedford and lived in Lakewood when I went to art school.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 21 May 2008 , 5:32pm
post #13 of 13

Cathy, you're so lucky! Congrats on passing!

I wish I could do the same but in NJ (one of those 'police' states), they make you jump through hoops. Not to mention the fact that I have three cats and would love to get rid of two of them in a heartbeat! (The funny thing is I bottle fed one of them when I rescued him and he's still not as sweet as the 'middle' one). Honestly, I did try to find him a home when he was weaned - I really did as I did not want three cats then and 13 years later I still don't want three cats! icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%