Centerpiece Cakes - I Did It!

Decorating By DeezCakes Updated 3 May 2008 , 11:32am by Gatorfan01

DeezCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezCakes Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 7:09pm
post #1 of 21

Thanks to all for all of the help and guidance along the way. I made it through the wedding with the centerpiece cakes. There were 13 tables, and I ended up making 15 centerpiece cakes (just in case) and one 3-tiered cake for the bride and groom to cut for pictures. I ended up doing a variety of flavors: chocolate, white with raspberry filling, red velvet, chocolate, banana, strawberry, and lemon. I was also a guest at the reception, so it was rather neat to see how everyone responded. The hotel took the cakes right before they were to be served, to cut and plate them, and they just served them randomly. Everyone was passing plates and trying all of the flavors. It was a lot of work (mostly a lot of planning), and fortunately, I have a Chevy Suburban, so transport was a breeze!

Thanks again to all who offered suggestions and tips from experience. I surely do understand now why these cakes tend to cost more...they are a lot more work!

Thanks for looking!
LL
LL
LL
LL

20 replies
ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 8:58pm
post #2 of 21

that's freakin' awesome!!!

I know that the whole cake as a centerpiece is a PITA, but I LOVE the idea!!!

You did a VERY nice job of producing a simple and elegant product. I LOVE the flowers and the contrast they produce against the white cakes.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 9:04pm
post #3 of 21

WOW! Congrats..... you did a GREAT job......

Sweettooth1120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweettooth1120 Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 9:05pm
post #4 of 21

Your cakes turned out great. I think they are a great idea but dread the day someone calls me to do one.

alisoncooks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alisoncooks Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 9:10pm
post #5 of 21

WOWZA! That's a lot of cakes. Kudos for pulling that off so well!

DeezCakes Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 9:40pm
post #6 of 21

Thanks for the kind replies, and despite the work that it took, I think I'd to do it again!

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 4:40pm
post #7 of 21

those look great! I passed up the opportunity to make centerpiece cakes, but she wanted 30 of them as well as a wedding cake .. lots to do when you just do this as a hobby!!

mommycakediva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommycakediva Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 4:54pm
post #8 of 21

These cakes look great. Good job!

fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 4:54pm
post #9 of 21

You did such a wonderful job, The cakes are beautiful. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif
I love the colors of the flowers. You deserve all the praise!!!
Faye

fabfour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabfour Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 4:57pm
post #10 of 21

Wonderful Job!!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 5:22pm
post #11 of 21

The all look greaticon_smile.gif
BTDT.....know how muchwork it is. I hope you got paid enoughicon_smile.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 5:24pm
post #12 of 21

You really did an outstanding job!! Those cakes look great! Wow, what a feeling of accomplishment you must have now! It mush have been thrilling to watch everyone share and sample your handiwork!

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 1 May 2008 , 12:16am
post #13 of 21

They look great! I love the variation in design and flavors!
What size were they? Very cute!! thumbs_up.gif

asul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asul Posted 1 May 2008 , 12:31am
post #14 of 21

Congrats they lool great thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

vteventrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vteventrider Posted 1 May 2008 , 12:43am
post #15 of 21

Those look great. I really like how you varied flavors. So much better at a wedding I think so everyone gets what they want.

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 1 May 2008 , 12:54am
post #16 of 21

Great idea!!! I think they look really beautiful.
Did you have to go hunting up cake plates to put them on...LOL...
Looks like everyone enjoyed the different flavors, too.

imagine76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagine76 Posted 1 May 2008 , 12:57am
post #17 of 21

i LOVE them! i also love the idea of it.
a few ?? if you don't mind... was it a total PITA? were the cake stands all the same? did they supply them? where'd they come from?

DeezCakes Posted 1 May 2008 , 12:51pm
post #18 of 21

Thanks again everyone for the kind comments...

The centerpiece cakes were 6" and the main cake was 14", 10", and 6". The tables either sat 8 or 10 people, and the instructions that I gave to the hotel staff was to cut the 6" cakes very generously instead of the traditional wedding cake sizes, since there was so much cake. So, I think they cut 8 nice size rectangular cuts from the 6" (discarding the rounded sides), and there was still plenty for seconds if anyone wanted any, and for the hotel staff to have cake.

The original thought for the cake plates was to borrow 13 cake plates from family and friends, but then it would have been more hassle trying to return them, so I suggested to the bride (and I think the inspiration came from here) to go to the dollar store and get 13 plates and 13 sundae glasses. The sundae glasses were turned upside down and secured to the bottom of the plate by use of glue dots (I am big on re-purposing things), and they worked out wonderfully. ...and the bride now has 13 glass plates and 13 sundae dishes to add to her collection.

Yes, it was a lot of work, but with a suggestion from someone here about the importance of planning, I didn't go crazy that week (and it also helped that the bride wanted a very simple design, so as to allow the cake to compliment the flowers (or the flowers to compliment the cake).

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 2 May 2008 , 5:00am
post #19 of 21

Thank you for sharing such great design and idea, I really loved the idea of plates and sundae glasses. I'm making 30 centerpieces cakes in 2 weeks, and more peolpe are asking about them so I was wondering if there was a nice (and cheap) cake stand.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 2 May 2008 , 6:19am
post #20 of 21

i was going to ask about the cake stands. they turned out very pretty.

well done! that must have a been a lot of work.

Gatorfan01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gatorfan01 Posted 3 May 2008 , 11:32am
post #21 of 21

What a neat idea! Your cakes look awesome and it sounds like everyone enjoyed them. Did the guests know you made them?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%