Chocolate Chip Cookie Problem

Baking By vmertsock Updated 1 May 2008 , 3:01am by vmertsock

vmertsock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vmertsock Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 5:33pm
post #1 of 10

Hi, I'm in search of a new chocolate chip cookie recipe. I have a request for a very specific type and 4 recipes later, I've yet to figure it out. They want the cookie to be crispy/chewy, not too cakey, with places on top where it seems to fall and be super chewy-their guess is from a lot of sugar, crispy around the outside. They are comparing it to cookies at The Cookie Jar in Newport, RI, but I've never been so I'm not sure exactly what they look like. If anyone has any ideas/recipes they wouldn't mind sharing, that'd be great. My hunch was maybe a recipe with melted butter but I haven't gotten it right yet. Thanks!

9 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 7:51pm
post #2 of 10

Alton Brown did three variations of cc cookies. He described the effect of various ingredients. I don't recall all of it, but I think he says brown sugar adds to chewiness.

I think you can still find the recipes at foodnetwork.com

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 9:36pm
post #3 of 10

Yep, I saw that episode not too long ago. The ratio of white sugar to brown (more brown) makes a more "tender" cookie is what I believe he said. I think the episode was called, The Puffy, The Chewy, and ........ I can't remember the last one. I use one of his recipes for my choc. chip cookies and love it.

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:51am
post #4 of 10

Good luck on your quest for 'the' CC cookie! I myself LOVE CC cookies and JoAnn & Michelle thank you so much for pointing out that episode, I may not have found these recipes for a long time otherwise, can't wait to try them all out! Here's a link

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_ea/episode/0,1976,FOOD_9956_17114,00.html

MichelleM77 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:47am
post #5 of 10

Oh that's what it was...Three Chips for Sister Marsha! Thank you for the link!

vmertsock Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 8:38pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks so much for the Alton Brown suggestion! They turned out fabulous! I won't know till tomorrow if they really are the right ones but they are a heck of a lot closer than the other 5 recipes I tried!

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 8:47pm
post #7 of 10

Yahoo for you!. I hope they are the ones. All my hours watching tv aren't going to waste icon_biggrin.gif

peanut123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peanut123 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 9:17pm
post #8 of 10

You can find the transcript from that episode here:

http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/GEFP/index.htm

MichelleM77 Posted 1 May 2008 , 2:45am
post #9 of 10

So which AB recipe did you use? I like The Puffy myself.

vmertsock Posted 1 May 2008 , 3:01am
post #10 of 10

I actually used The Thin. I was very surprised, as I typically prefer thick, cakey cookies but these were great. They're a nice blend of crispy outside but maintain their soft/chewyness. I hope my boss likes them as well as I do! We're opening up a new bakery and I'm starting recipe testing. I had no idea that chocolate chip cookies would prove the most difficult recipe to figure out! Thanks again for all the help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%