Help With Serving Size.....

Decorating By DFND Updated 29 Apr 2008 , 4:44pm by foxymomma521

DFND Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DFND Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 4:17pm
post #1 of 5

I have to make a kid's cake for 10 servings and I'm not sure if I should use an 8" or 10" round? It's a basic chocolate cake with vanilla buttercream frosting and pikachu design on top. Not sure how much I should charge for the 8"? If 8", should I make 2?

The reason why I'm a little nervous and doubting myself is, this could potentially lead me to more clients.

Thanks.

4 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 4:21pm
post #2 of 5

A double-layer 8" round easily serves 15, and kids tend not to eat very much cake anyway, so an 8" should be more than enough.

Your local market determines how much you can charge - call around to other custom bakeries and ask their price per serving for single-tiered cakes. Also, make sure an add up your ingredient and supply costs so you know how much you are spending. More thoughts here.

DFND Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DFND Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 4:28pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks...

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 4:29pm
post #4 of 5

Yes.. a 10" round will serve 30 and is a lot bigger than you think it is. I price an 8" at 20 servings.. you'll be fine with an 8".

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 4:44pm
post #5 of 5

I just peeked at your lovely pics, and noticed your cakes aren't very tall. The servings you were quoted were for a 4" tall cake.
Do you have links to any cake charts?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%