How Do I Start A Cake Decorating Club

Decorating By cakecrazylady Updated 29 Apr 2008 , 7:22pm by KimAZ

cakecrazylady Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 2:26pm
post #1 of 2

Hi all,
After attending a DOS this past weekend it was clear that there is a desire for a cake club in the Columbus Ohio area, and I so I volunteered to get one started.
Now I have no idea how to go about this! I found one site that made a few suggestions, but am looking for more.
If you have any ideas, or are a member currently of a group and want to pass on some pearls of wisdom, please post. I need all the help I can get.
Specifically, I need ideas of where to meet but will accept any and all suggestions about anything else within the cake club topic.
Thanks in advance,
Sugar Art Studios

1 reply
KimAZ Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 7:22pm
post #2 of 2

I am a member of both the cake clubs in my area so maybe I can share some info. One of the clubs meets at what was a local cake supply store but we've outgrown it and are now going to be meeting at an adult community center. This club has just over 40 members and usually 25-30 show up each month so we do need a lot of space. The first 30 minutes is pretty much a social gathering and time for refreshments. After that the club president starts the meeting with new and old business, goes over anything coming up. We generally have two demos per month given by members of the club. So they each do their own. A lot of times people share tips, helpful hints, photos and just whatever we can relating to decorating.

The other club meets at one of the member's homes. There are currently about 17 members. At this meeting, the President goes over new and old business, talks about upcoming classes or the cake show or just anything like that. Again, we've been having two demos per month but these are all hands on demos so after we've been shown what to do, each person gets to them make the project themselves. We share our tools and supplies so everyone can participate and that makes it really fun and you get to actually go home with something each time.

Many of the members found the cake clubs through the local classes at the Michael's or Joann's stores because we have quite a few members who teach those classes. Also, they find our clubs through our websites, through American Cake Decorating magazine's website, word of mouth, from cake supply stores in our area and through a couple other websites that list cake clubs on their websites.

My advice is to find a location that is central in your city because you're bound to have people coming from all over. We used to meet at a church in the reception hall, then moved to the cake supply store and again now are moving because we've outgrown that space.

If it's possible to do hands on demos, I highly recommend that because everyone likes to actually do something rather than just sit and listen for the most part. That can be costly so in our case, the club will pick up some of the expenses, members donate some supplies and as many people bring their own supplies as possible.

We're starting a new thing at one of the clubs where everyone is asked to make thier own supply/tool bag or box to bring with them each month. This way we all have what we need and can share what we don't have. The person doing the demo shares what supplies will be needed so everyone can do their best to have those things before coming to the meeting.

Anyway, I hope that helps. Please feel free to contact me if you have more questions. I can share the websites of both the clubs if you're interested.

Quote by @%username% on %date%