Eager To Learn In Illinois, Any Pointers?

Decorating By steph1005 Updated 29 Apr 2008 , 3:27pm by renee2007

steph1005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steph1005 Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 2:46am
post #1 of 4

I recently started baking cakes for friends and family. All with wonderful reviews. However, I really see this as something I want to do as a career. I see all the beautiful cakes on here and other places, and wish I was that good. However, working 2 jobs to pay my bills, and not having the means for pastry school leaves me wondering how to learn except by teaching myself.

I live 2 hours from chicago, and the wilton school, and thought about taking some of the 1 day courses, does anyone have any ideas or personal examples of other ways to really develop my skills as a baker/cake decorator???

thanks! thumbs_up.gif

3 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 2:56am
post #2 of 4

Here's a similar thread that might be helpful:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-583579-.html

The new and old posts (search by subjects of interest to you) can provide a wealth of information (including tutorials), as can the various CC 'how-to" articles.

HTH

jonicca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonicca Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 3:32am
post #3 of 4

hey steph,
i'm just learning myself and i'm in illinois. where are you? maybe we can get together and help each other along!
Jocelyn

renee2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
renee2007 Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 3:27pm
post #4 of 4

Hi, I am also in Illinois. I started baking my kids' birthday cakes and went from there. I received some wilton books and other things for a birthday present and after learning a few things on my own I decided to take the wilton classes at michaels. I took courses 1, 2, and 3 and then the fondant class. I still have alot to learn but I love this site and have learned alot from here. good luck icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%